PDA

View Full Version : Not sure what's happening to Trent

patmoran2006
11-09-2008, 10:07 PM
I just don't get it.. This kid was doing everything right.. cant blame it on the concussion because he was elite in the SD win in his first game back.

But for three straight weeks, he's been AWFUL. It's alarming how much he suddenly looks like the QB who was the starter before him. He's making terrible decisions out there. I can't explain what's happening.

His poor play isn't ALL his fault, but man, did he ever look awful today.. I defended his mistakes the past two games, but no defending him today.. It's all on him offensively. Even besides the INT's, he threw some terrible passes and looked as uncomfortable as I've ever seen him. SOmething just is not right with him, and it's such a sudden turn.

Just can't figure out what suddenly happend. Josh Reed couldn't have made THAT big a difference.

yordad
11-09-2008, 10:08 PM
It's the same old list of valid excuses.

patmoran2006
11-09-2008, 10:13 PM
I'm not making any excuses for him.. Im' just trying to figure out how the light went out and suddenly is become the EXACT OPPOSITE kind of QB that made him a keeper.

Im not trying to make this thread about Losman, but Trent suddenly is playing very much like JP Losman did when he was the starter.

im4bflo
11-09-2008, 10:16 PM
He's a good 2nd stringer, and need's all the help he can get.

Philagape
11-09-2008, 10:33 PM
There's no excuses for today ... both picks were entirely his fault. The first was an inaccurate pass, and the second was a bad decision.

Tatonka
11-09-2008, 11:46 PM
the same thing has been eating me up honestly.. i dont know what went wrong either but the qb that i thought he was would have won all three of these games that we just lost.

the other thing i keep thinking is that the teams he beat.. well honestly, they just were not that good, maybe?

i mean i thought his performance in the san diego game was great.. then i saw tyler thigpen do the same thing. that is a bit discouraging.

PECKERWOOD
11-10-2008, 12:19 AM
I just don't get it.. This kid was doing everything right.. cant blame it on the concussion because he was elite in the SD win in his first game back.

But for three straight weeks, he's been AWFUL. It's alarming how much he suddenly looks like the QB who was the starter before him. He's making terrible decisions out there. I can't explain what's happening.

His poor play isn't ALL his fault, but man, did he ever look awful today.. I defended his mistakes the past two games, but no defending him today.. It's all on him offensively. Even besides the INT's, he threw some terrible passes and looked as uncomfortable as I've ever seen him. SOmething just is not right with him, and it's such a sudden turn.

Just can't figure out what suddenly happend. Josh Reed couldn't have made THAT big a difference.

I can tell you what has happened to Trent.. How would you like to be hiking the ball and the only thing between you and Kris Jenkins or Vince Wilfork is a couple of lawn chairs? If I was Trent, I would be trying to throw some quick strikes for sure, this explains why Lee hasn't had a huge breakout game thus far.. We need way better blocking if Trent is going to be successful, Losman would look even worst out there.

bills_7
11-10-2008, 12:22 AM
why dont u guys run him out of town now like JP

ScottLawrence
11-10-2008, 12:25 AM
Teams are doing the exact same things to him.

Rushing only 3 guys and dropping everyone back in coverage.....and it's working to perfection mostly because we are so one dimensional.

Turk's got to stick with the running game. He's turning into Kevin Gilbridge(Killadrive).

Ingtar33
11-10-2008, 04:07 AM

considering he started to play poorly after josh reed went down i don't think you can discount this.

reed was money for him on 3rd down.

he was a great check down for Edwards, one he was comfortable with. it's clear he's not comfortable right now with the rest of the WR's on the team atm.

Historian
11-10-2008, 04:38 AM
considering he started to play poorly after josh reed went down i don't think you can discount this.

reed was money for him on 3rd down.

he was a great check down for Edwards, one he was comfortable with. it's clear he's not comfortable right now with the rest of the WR's on the team atm.

True.

And Royal has been no help either.

ZEUS
11-10-2008, 04:54 AM
It's not all on him. The o-line sucks, teams can drop eight back and still get pressure. No recievers, Evans is doubled and no one else can get open or hold on to the ball. Play calling is terrible. We abandon the run game (in part due to the line) and throw twice on 3rd and very short?

Night Train
11-10-2008, 05:37 AM
There were plays where he had plenty of time to deliver the ball and flat out missed the target. He's holding onto the ball too long, missing open receivers & starring down his intended target far too often, allowing DB's to jump his passes.

Those INT's were terrible and he could have had 2-3 more. Certainly a surprise. Has he been figured out or is he just not progressing through his reads ? Hard to figure but it doesn't help that the Offense can't run the ball or the D cannot get off the field in key situations. 2006 all over again. :down:

Tinboy
11-10-2008, 05:47 AM
What happen was a young team caught up in it's own hype. Trent will be good but he needs another year to mature. And a good catching TE!

TacklingDummy
11-10-2008, 06:13 AM
It's a combination of no run game, pass blocking, and recievers not getting open.

SquishDaFish
11-10-2008, 06:29 AM
Im sorry but it has little to do with the WRs. Watch the 1st Q again Hardy was open alot.

mybills
11-10-2008, 07:02 AM
There were plays where he had plenty of time to deliver the ball and flat out missed the target. He's holding onto the ball too long, missing open receivers & starring down his intended target far too often, allowing DB's to jump his passes.

Those INT's were terrible and he could have had 2-3 more. Certainly a surprise. Has he been figured out or is he just not progressing through his reads ? Hard to figure but it doesn't help that the Offense can't run the ball or the D cannot get off the field in key situations. 2006 all over again. :down:
Not even scrambling. He looked familiar. Trew Edsoe, Bledwards, Trentsoe, Drewards...

Kenny
11-10-2008, 07:10 AM
I think it's a combination of other teams having enough film now, and Trent just holding on to the ball too long.

He looked exactly like bledsoe yesterday, -minus the arm.

DraftBoy
11-10-2008, 07:15 AM
Let's see here, he starts off on fire and the national media clamors to him hailing him as a MVP candidate. He starts doing national interviews like on PTI, and maybe his eyes got off the prize. This is a kid who is not used to be in the spotlight. I think thats a factor, that he is pressing to keep up with what the press was writing about him.

But the one thing that concerns me the most is that he has gotten sloppy, and Im not talking about turnovers. His mechanics are getting sloppy, he is not putting the same effort into his throws that he was just 4 weeks ago. His feet are not always getting set and he is not always squaring his shoulders and making a good throw. Part of this is because of the pressure no doubt, but good QB's in the NFL avoid the pressure and make the throws, Edwards so far has no proven that.

Right now we are going to be facing a very difficult decision in April, if we have to draft yet another QB and wait on him, we could be in for a longer process than any of us thought, plus the QB class this year blows without a huge import of Juniors. Im talking about potentially the worst class in almost 20 years.

mybills
11-10-2008, 07:21 AM
They should throw those big pads at him while he's throwing the ball at practice. Pretend they are bodies flying at him, and make him used to throwing under pressure.

hydro
11-10-2008, 07:22 AM

If he keeps this up for two more years I am sure he will be :up:

DraftBoy
11-10-2008, 07:23 AM
If he keeps this up for two more years I am sure he will be :up:

If he keeps this up for two more years, Ill pretty much be done with this team and its inability to resolve its issues with the QB position.

Tatonka
11-10-2008, 07:27 AM

exactly.

Tatonka
11-10-2008, 07:33 AM
receivers were definately open yesterday. i was able to tivo the game because it was on national tv (i dont have tivo for my directv), and there were a LOT of times when trent didnt get the ball out or threw just an awfully placed pass, even on some of the receptions, that were no one but him. no oline to blame, no wr to blame, just trent not doing his job.

someone else pointed this out too, but james hardy was open several times throughout the game.. and that is not even counting plays where if the ball was thrown like on hardy's td catch, you could say he was even more open.

very frustrating to rewatch.

our defense is putrid right now too.

RedEyE
11-10-2008, 07:38 AM
Well history has proven (see Losman) that benching a young player doesn't play out well. So other than Edwards getting his own head out of his own ass, what would any of you suggest?

OpIv37
11-10-2008, 07:38 AM
Right now we are going to be facing a very difficult decision in April, if we have to draft yet another QB and wait on him, we could be in for a longer process than any of us thought, plus the QB class this year blows without a huge import of Juniors. Im talking about potentially the worst class in almost 20 years.

That's not going to happen. Think RJ, Bledsoe and Losman-how many chances did they get? Edwards will get at least one more season even if we don't win another game this year and he throws another 12 INT's.

RedEyE
11-10-2008, 07:39 AM
I'd question Edwards preparation at this point. Is he watching enough game film? Or is it just a bad streak of poor decisions at this point?

hydro
11-10-2008, 07:54 AM
If he keeps this up for two more years, Ill pretty much be done with this team and its inability to resolve its issues with the QB position.

So they should have gotten rid of Losman sooner? :scratch:

acehole
11-10-2008, 07:55 AM
My money is on (Excuse #44+89+92) He does not like getting hit and is spooked back there. You know it is getting bad when you miss a wide open 6.5 reciever from 10 yards out. 2.Danby stated that you cant blame the line for sacks..it is on the qb because "his clock is broken." Trents clock is broken. 3.Defenses have simply caught on to the one trick show pony and have taken his secure short passes away. So much for the theory "You dont need to throw the long ball to be a good qb theory."

He had a much better team then the last guy
....he should be miles a head by now.....

The funnier question is why have all the posters who ridiculed the suporters of the last guy use the same or even more creative excuses to defend Trend?

We could of had B Farve for a box of donuts...but no..."we had to let Trent Develop" What a waste of good football team this is....

What happened to Trent?
Possibly the has been that never was.

mybills
11-10-2008, 07:56 AM
I think he's partially blind from that concussion and keeping it a secret.

:gag:

acehole
11-10-2008, 07:57 AM
I thought the Defense is better with Trent.

receivers were definately open yesterday. i was able to tivo the game because it was on national tv (i dont have tivo for my directv), and there were a LOT of times when trent didnt get the ball out or threw just an awfully placed pass, even on some of the receptions, that were no one but him. no oline to blame, no wr to blame, just trent not doing his job.

someone else pointed this out too, but james hardy was open several times throughout the game.. and that is not even counting plays where if the ball was thrown like on hardy's td catch, you could say he was even more open.

very frustrating to rewatch.

our defense is putrid right now too.

HHURRICANE
11-10-2008, 08:18 AM

I really think he's a guy that counts on his O-line to make their assignments. He got hit early a bunch of times and I think that starts playing with his head.

This game is the one where I have to say that he looked terrible.

Am I worried? No, not in the least. Jay Cutler went through the same learning curve as most QBs do. If every ball was being thrown into the ground or he looked like he was losing his confidence than maybe I'd be concerned. The O-line playing better would definately help.

WTF with Dockery?!?! He has been just awful.

Michael82
11-10-2008, 09:10 AM
The thing that scares me the most is when he started playing like ****, it's against our division foes. These are the teams that have tons of game film on him and maybe found something in his game that other teams didn't see. I don't think it's a coincidence that he's been horrible and extremely rattled since the Miami game. Maybe Bill Parcells helped find something in him that Mangini and Belichick are both doing now. It might be the way they are playing him with everyone in coverage and only rushing 3 or 4. It's thrown him off!

acehole
11-10-2008, 09:11 AM
I agree with your theory....however qb's usually get better with time...let us see.

I really think he's a guy that counts on his O-line to make their assignments. He got hit early a bunch of times and I think that starts playing with his head.

This game is the one where I have to say that he looked terrible.

Am I worried? No, not in the least. Jay Cutler went through the same learning curve as most QBs do. If every ball was being thrown into the ground or he looked like he was losing his confidence than maybe I'd be concerned. The O-line playing better would definately help.

WTF with Dockery?!?! He has been just awful.

Michael82
11-10-2008, 09:12 AM
Maybe Trent got a girlfriend and it's thrown him off a bit, as she's taking up all his time. :D

DraftBoy
11-10-2008, 09:44 AM
So they should have gotten rid of Losman sooner? :scratch:

Yes, I think that was pretty clear.

Saratoga Slim
11-10-2008, 10:14 AM
It's a combination of no run game, pass blocking, and recievers not getting open.

Yes. With emphasis on Point A. We are amazingly one dimensional for a team with two great backs.

Philagape
11-10-2008, 10:24 AM
The Bills have 90 yards rushing in their last two games combined. That's way more disconcerting.

tat2dmike77
11-10-2008, 10:26 AM
The Bills have 90 yards rushing in their last two games combined. That's way more disconcerting.

DING DING DING DING We have a winner!!!

You don't run the ball defenses know what your going to do. You can not be one dimensional in the NFL and expect to win games plain and simple.

yordad
11-10-2008, 11:41 AM
Well history has proven (see Losman) that benching a young player doesn't play out well. So other than Edwards getting his own head out of his own ass, what would any of you suggest?I suggest using the short passes as an extention of the running game. Swing passes and screen passes to the RBs. And quick slants to the WRs.

RockStar36
11-10-2008, 11:44 AM
Same thing happened last year. He was crowned the new king of Buffalo and crashed back down to Earth. I still don't think he has fully recovered from the concussion.

DraftBoy
11-10-2008, 12:09 PM
Same thing happened last year. He was crowned the new king of Buffalo and crashed back down to Earth. I still don't think he has fully recovered from the concussion.

Maybe more so mentally than physically, which is a bigger issue.

DynaPaul
11-10-2008, 07:45 PM
What happened to him? He needs a running game. Has Marshawn broken 100 yards in any game this season? No. Now I'm not placing it on the backs because they are both talented. I just think this offensive line, for as big as it, plays like a bunch of pussies. We need these guys to be nasty and start playing BOTH the run and pass well.

im4bflo
11-10-2008, 07:54 PM
What happened to him? He needs a running game. Has Marshawn broken 100 yards in any game this season? No. Now I'm not placing it on the backs because they are both talented. I just think this offensive line, for as big as it, plays like a bunch of pussies. We need these guys to be nasty and start playing BOTH the run and pass well.

The whole team needs a big dose of nasty!
GO BILLS!

djjimkelly
11-10-2008, 08:12 PM

TD are u talking about this years bills or the last 3-4 years?

im positive JP is a solid qb just no coaching and **** players elsewhere = what we are now

Typ0
11-10-2008, 08:44 PM
I really don't like hearing TE has morphed into JP. That is far from true. JP did the same thing over and over for three years. In that third year fans were still making "rookie" excuses for him. TE has been having troubles for three weeks folks. And he's a second year player at the beginning of the time he's clearly been handed the job. If JP gets four years to be JP than I say TE gets at least 2 before you start calling him the bust JP is.

As far as all the other excuses, like the running game and challenge faced by losing Reed, yes, they are there. But they are not excuses for a poor performance by TE. If the man is going to be our QB then he's going to need to stand in there and make those throws accurately despite the woes of the offense. All of those things are zero excuse for him not having his head in what he's doing.

TE is a young QB. Let's not get carried away with the Uber Edwards theories of the past. He's young and he's going to have some growing pains. Let's hope he responds well and starts to put it back together. The kid has got a good head on his shoulders and I believe he can do it. There is no reason to be completely defeatest at this point.

Typ0
11-10-2008, 08:48 PM
TD are u talking about this years bills or the last 3-4 years?

im positive JP is a solid qb just no coaching and **** players elsewhere = what we are now

and I'm equally confident JP is a bust as a starting QB and the coaching has been decent and the talent across the board on the team is increasing. Does that mean I am sure this coaching staff can bring us to the promise land? No, it does not. But I am certain they can get us much further than we are right now and are on the right track.

Oaf
11-10-2008, 11:44 PM
Not even scrambling. He looked familiar. Trew Edsoe, Bledwards, Trentsoe, Drewards...
Dredwards.

jamze132
11-11-2008, 04:49 AM
There are many different reasons for this team sucking ass. Injuries play the biggest part, I think when you consider the level of talent that is currently on the field. Fowler, Whittle, Preston, Chambers? No NFL QB would be successful working with that pile of dung.

Luisito23
11-11-2008, 06:04 AM
I'm not ready to give up on Edwards, but his play must improve over the next few weeks (even if we're losing) or else I will have no faith whatsoever going into next season...

acehole
11-11-2008, 08:56 AM
DING DING DING DING We have a winner!!!

You don't run the ball defenses know what your going to do. You can not be one dimensional in the NFL and expect to win games plain and simple.

Wrong the running game suffers when you dont have a passing game....

We dont have a passing game right now.

Borosai
11-11-2008, 12:56 PM
It all starts with the line. I'm certain he trusted the line when the season started: he knew he would get pressured and sacked, but he still had confidence in his protection. I don't think he trusts them anymore. He expects to get hit much more now, and it's affecting his comfort in the pocket and timing. He's thinking too much instead of playing smart football.

Oh, and not having a running game hurts too, but that goes without saying.

jamze132
11-12-2008, 07:19 AM
It all starts with the line. I'm certain he trusted the line when the season started: he knew he would get pressured and sacked, but he still had confidence in his protection. I don't think he trusts them anymore. He expects to get hit much more now, and it's affecting his comfort in the pocket and timing. He's thinking too much instead of playing smart football.

I think this theory makes sense. People in STL were saying the same thing about Bulger.

PcA125
11-12-2008, 07:52 AM
Wrong the running game suffers when you dont have a passing game....

We dont have a passing game right now.

I think this would be valid if teams were stacking the box...but in the last few weeks its been rushing 3 or 4 and dropping everyone back.

SABURZFAN
11-12-2008, 07:56 AM

unlike Lossman, Edwards still has a future here. :rolleyes:

acehole
11-12-2008, 08:07 AM
I think this would be valid if teams were stacking the box...but in the last few weeks its been rushing 3 or 4 and dropping everyone back.

And what is the net effect of that?
no passing game.

no passing game = no running game.

mybills
11-12-2008, 08:15 AM
Catch 22

M
11-12-2008, 08:22 AM
I don't know what's going on but this is NOT what I want to see ... even when we are losing in the 4th. He's got to turn it around!

http://cmsimg.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?NewTbl=1&Avis=A2&Dato=20081110&Kategori=MULTIMEDIA0303&Lopenr=811100802&Ref=PH&Item=12&Maxw=450&Maxh=400

mybills
11-12-2008, 08:31 AM
LOL.."someone's in my head, but it's not me!"
http://cmsimg.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?NewTbl=1&Avis=A2&Dato=20081110&Kategori=MULTIMEDIA0303&Lopenr=811100802&Ref=PH&Item=12&Maxw=450&Maxh=400

PcA125
11-12-2008, 09:43 AM
And what is the net effect of that?
no passing game.

no passing game = no running game.

True... it destroys our passing game. But the point is that you should be able to run against it.... This would then open up the passing game when teams move forward to stop the run. I understand it works both ways, but it is just frustrating that we cant get any run game going at all even when they arnt planning against the run.

acehole
11-12-2008, 08:49 PM
True... it destroys our passing game. But the point is that you should be able to run against it.... This would then open up the passing game when teams move forward to stop the run. I understand it works both ways, but it is just frustrating that we cant get any run game going at all even when they arnt planning against the run.

You are correct...however when defense sees run....they fill those holes with bodies...what they are doing is rendering the strength of our offense usless.......They need to pull gaurds and centers and have them out into space to counter that........we dont have those type of guards....this can all be countered other ways also....and they did as much by playcalling early on....but one thing sets up the next sets up the next....we can even get anything going to set anything up....What they should of run against that deffense is shot gun multi recievers with lynch in backfield....those dbs would be occupied enough to run some delays counter treys.....but it starts with the qb hitting the side of barn to get things going.....we dont seem to have a barn that big right now......6.5 is not big enough I guess.

TheBrownBear
11-13-2008, 11:44 AM
JP Bledwardson. Face it, it's the curse of Doug Flutie. Damn you Wade Phillips!!!