PDA

View Full Version : My post mortem

X-Era
11-10-2008, 06:29 AM
First off, unlike most Im not going on a blame-the-oline rant. They made a few mistakes, but more of the hits on Trent were because the rusher came unblocked or he held onto it too long. More on that later.

The running game was there but only at times. In fact one time, the announcers told us that the Pats were thinking run, and sure enough we ran. WE are so predictable! I said early on when we brought the FB back into the system that I hoped it didnt mean we were going back to the Dan Henning days where A. Smith would come in with the FB and then come out on 3rd down. It was so predictable that we were going to run. Ive always been a bigger fan of the 1 back set where you give your RB space and the D doesnt know whats coming. I have to wonder if Marshawn isnt best suited to play the 2 back set; if hes a better Terrel Davis type 1 back runner. I still cant figure out why Marshawn comes out so much, I wonder if there is a lingering injury or health issue that we dont know about yet. Hes not the same as last year.

The pass game was decent at times but Trent made several poor decisions that killed scoring chances. You just cant throw the ball up like he did. He trusts his receivers too much, but misses them badl at times. Evans INT and Royal 3rd down attempt come to mind. I think he became too confident and now thinks he can throw anywhere anytime. Ask Favre how that works out. Hes get to throw it away more or learn to run more. Also, he needs to have that 3 second clock going off in his head or hes gonna get killed.

The o-line was injured going into this game and yet gave Trent plenty of time to throw quite often. Chambers got blown back on one play, but overall they held there ground. Walker and Peters again showed they are the best of the bunch and Preston continued to beat expectations. We should be trying to resign Duke. That said, they didnt get enough poush in the ground game and were obvioulsy not as good as NE's DL But not many teams are either. We need at least a starting C and depth at G.

The D was our achilles heel. We must have the worst 3rd down percentage at this point. We cant manage to stop drives. We continue to get little to no rush. We do a better job against the run up the middle but not by much and even then we still give up big yards. We need another OLB, S, and probably both a DE and DT.

Special Temas were decent but McKelvin isnt breaking runs the way we thought he might.

Last year we had 2 rookies help this team right away. This year we can barely get our rookies involved and when they do, they just arent helping that much. Hardy may a nice TD grab in garbage time, but where was he the rest of the game. Ive said a zillion times, we dont need more backups, we need playmakers.

I hope we can get on a winning streak here, we need the wins. Were not out of it, but we probably have to beat NE and at least the Jets, plus a total of 10 wins to have a shot. Lets go.