PDA

View Full Version : TMQ - Why are you punting!??!

Pinkerton Security
11-11-2008, 01:28 PM
Buck-Buck-Brawckkkkkkk No. 1: One reason for Buffalo's pathetic string of losses to division rival New England is timid play. Six years ago, TMQ began its Preposterous Punt item after seeing the Bills, trailing the then-defending-champion Patriots by 10 points in the third quarter, punt on fourth-and-2 on the New England 32. Needless to say, Buffalo went on to lose. Last season, trailing New England 42-7, Buffalo launched a field-goal attempt; trailing 56-10, Buffalo punted from midfield. Three consecutive Buffalo coaches (the tastefully named Gregg Williams, the serious pun potential Mike Mularkey, and now Dick "Cheerio, Chaps" Jauron) have approached New England trembling, as if their goal was not to win but to contain the margin of defeat. On Sunday, trailing New England 10-3, Buffalo punted on fourth-and-3 from the Patriots' 39. Trailing 13-3 in the fourth quarter, Buffalo punted from the New England 42. Sure, it was fourth-and-11, but who cares? You're down by two scores in the fourth quarter. You're in opposition territory. You've lost to the opponent 14 of the past 15 times, why are you punting??????? And now you have lost to the opponent 15 of the past 16 times; after the fourth-quarter Preposterous Punt, Buffalo did not get the ball back until it was down 20-3 with the clock almost drilled. Timidity bonus: Bills, did you really need to be in the shotgun formation on third-and-inches?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/081111

Even the guys covering the game were perplexed at the fact that we were passing on third and short. and we did it more than once!

We had better stop being so darn conservative. Sure, its all well and good when you pin someone on the 5 and then stop them, but we havent done that!!! Lord, its so frustrating to watch Matt M-Fing Cassel march his team 90 yards. Grow a set and pressure the young QB. And this has been the case throughout our losing streak. lets hope we learn from the past 3 weeks and get after the QB Monday.

raphael120
11-11-2008, 01:47 PM
This team has been and is gutless.

Mahdi
11-11-2008, 01:48 PM
Buck-Buck-Brawckkkkkkk No. 1: One reason for Buffalo's pathetic string of losses to division rival New England is timid play. Six years ago, TMQ began its Preposterous Punt item after seeing the Bills, trailing the then-defending-champion Patriots by 10 points in the third quarter, punt on fourth-and-2 on the New England 32. Needless to say, Buffalo went on to lose. Last season, trailing New England 42-7, Buffalo launched a field-goal attempt; trailing 56-10, Buffalo punted from midfield. Three consecutive Buffalo coaches (the tastefully named Gregg Williams, the serious pun potential Mike Mularkey, and now Dick "Cheerio, Chaps" Jauron) have approached New England trembling, as if their goal was not to win but to contain the margin of defeat. On Sunday, trailing New England 10-3, Buffalo punted on fourth-and-3 from the Patriots' 39. Trailing 13-3 in the fourth quarter, Buffalo punted from the New England 42. Sure, it was fourth-and-11, but who cares? You're down by two scores in the fourth quarter. You're in opposition territory. You've lost to the opponent 14 of the past 15 times, why are you punting??????? And now you have lost to the opponent 15 of the past 16 times; after the fourth-quarter Preposterous Punt, Buffalo did not get the ball back until it was down 20-3 with the clock almost drilled. Timidity bonus: Bills, did you really need to be in the shotgun formation on third-and-inches?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/081111

Even the guys covering the game were perplexed at the fact that we were passing on third and short. and we did it more than once!

We had better stop being so darn conservative. Sure, its all well and good when you pin someone on the 5 and then stop them, but we havent done that!!! Lord, its so frustrating to watch Matt M-Fing Cassel march his team 90 yards. Grow a set and pressure the young QB. And this has been the case throughout our losing streak. lets hope we learn from the past 3 weeks and get after the QB Monday.
Who is going to get after the QB? Tree Denney? or Chris "are you even on the field" Kelsay? We have no pass rushers. At this point I want to see Ellis getting the reps, cause if Schobel is going to be out another few weeks we better develop this kid cause no one else has a chance to pressure a QB on the Bills roster.

RockStar36
11-11-2008, 01:49 PM
I remember a year or two in the pre-season the Bills had 4th and goal on the 1 yard line and kicked a field goal...IN PRE SEASON!!!

Anyways, the answer to this question is probably the same as the answer to the above statement.

patmoran2006
11-11-2008, 01:54 PM
Great read.

and if that's not living proof of how GUTLESS and cowardly our coaching staff, both the current and the few before this are. THen I don't know what more you need to see with your own eyes.

I was furious when we punted both times Sunday as well. I am irate at Jauron and Fewel. I'm not mad at Turk because overall I think he's done well this year. But Sunday, and maybe it was on the "advice" of Jauron, but he called a terrible game.

RockStar36
11-11-2008, 01:57 PM
There is a certain breed of coach this team needs and they aren't getting it any time soon. Jauron might be a nice guy but he won't be winning anything in this league anytime soon with his coaching style.

Tatonka
11-11-2008, 02:05 PM
i remember thinking when they punted both times in that game last week "please god go for it!"..

nope.

Pinkerton Security
11-11-2008, 02:14 PM
Who is going to get after the QB? Tree Denney? or Chris "are you even on the field" Kelsay? We have no pass rushers. At this point I want to see Ellis getting the reps, cause if Schobel is going to be out another few weeks we better develop this kid cause no one else has a chance to pressure a QB on the Bills roster.

Thats upon the coaches to figure out. Either they need to mix up the blitzes more and make them more frequent, or get them the hell out of town and bring someone else in.

Chimpanze
11-11-2008, 02:25 PM
I didnt have a problem with them punting!

I HAD A PROBLEM WITH THE DEFENSE GIVING UP A 9 minute DRIVE in the 4rth for the SECOND CONSECUTIVE WEEK!

RockStar36
11-11-2008, 02:32 PM
I didnt have a problem with them punting!

I HAD A PROBLEM WITH THE DEFENSE GIVING UP A 9 minute DRIVE in the 4rth for the SECOND CONSECUTIVE WEEK!

If the offense had scored any more than 3 points the pressure wouldn't have been all on the defense...AGAIN.

Ed
11-11-2008, 09:27 PM
I couldn't agree more, which is why I said the same thing in the "What Frustated You the Most" thread. What are coaches thinking in these situations? That a team coached by Belichick is going to some how blow the game on his own if we keep giving the ball back to him and hope that he just hands us a win? Play like you actually want to win or don't bother showing up.

yordad
11-11-2008, 09:32 PM
Almost like the Pats pay coaches off or something? :idunno:

jamze132
11-12-2008, 07:48 AM
The punts were stupid, at least the first one was...

RockStar36
11-12-2008, 07:53 AM
I do love how they punt at the worst times and then they fake a punt when they are buried back in their own territory. There is literally no rhyme or reason to some of the decisions they make.

Pinkerton Security
11-12-2008, 08:22 AM
I do love how they punt at the worst times and then they fake a punt when they are buried back in their own territory. There is literally no rhyme or reason to some of the decisions they make.

thats why its so deliciously ingenious!!!! muhahaaahahha

Chimpanze
11-12-2008, 11:08 AM
If the offense had scored any more than 3 points the pressure wouldn't have been all on the defense...AGAIN.

So you are saying its ok to allow 7 and 9 minute drives in the fourth quarter!

I say, had the Bills scored 7 points to crawl back within a field goal, the Pats would have done the same thing. The Defense cant stop the offense when it counts, especially on third downs.

This defense is weak and has shown no killer instinct.

Coaching decisions are a liability with the Bills but the Defense is just plain terrible. The Bills-Pats game was ugly from the start, however, the Bills just dont have that fortitude to come out with a 13-10 or 10-7 win.

RockStar36
11-12-2008, 11:16 AM
So you are saying its ok to allow 7 and 9 minute drives in the fourth quarter!

I say, had the Bills scored 7 points to crawl back within a field goal, the Pats would have done the same thing. The Defense cant stop the offense when it counts, especially on third downs.

This defense is weak and has shown no killer instinct.

Coaching decisions are a liability with the Bills but the Defense is just plain terrible. The Bills-Pats game was ugly from the start, however, the Bills just dont have that fortitude to come out with a 13-10 or 10-7 win.

No, I'm not saying it's ok, but I'm saying they don't deserve the majority of the blame. If the offense would actually put up some points the defense wouldn't be forced into that situation. By the end of the game they are pretty worn out from keeping the team in the game the whole time. Take the Jets game for example. The offense had it for how long? How many plays? And they were outscored 7-0 during that stretch? That is completely unacceptable. But then the defense gets blamed for letting up the long drive at the end when they probably shouldn't have been in that situation to begin with. If it wasn't for the defense that would've been a blow out.

Typ0
11-12-2008, 01:09 PM
in both cases you're asking Lindell to make a field goal from a distance he's NEVER made one from. You're going to do this with a pro bowl punter on the sidelines whose a master at downing the ball inside the ten? I didn't have a problem with the punting in last weeks game but they did screw up burning that timeout before the punt. I would guess they called on Lindell and he said there was no way he could make that kick so they sent out Moorman. Any way you look at it there was a communication problem with the coaching staff and they screwed that up and it cost us a chance at another possession.