PDA

View Full Version : Bailey Cast in Leadership Role

PA Season Ticket Holder
05-04-2003, 11:40 AM
For cornerback Champ Bailey and the Redskins, Friday morning's practice was a watershed: it marked the first time the Redskins practiced without Darrell Green in 20 years.

"It's strange without Darrell," Bailey said after the team's Friday morning practice. "I don't think it'll really hit me until training camp starts in a few months and we really start going at it.

"You lose that leadership, the wisdom Darrell brings. He taught me something every season we were on the team together. From the first day I was out here he taught me something. He'll be missed."

Bailey has become, with the departure of Green and running back Stephen Davis, something of a senior member of the Redskins. Bailey, along with tackle Jon Jansen, is set to embark on his fifth season in Washington. On the team's active roster, only defensive tackle Dan Wilkinson and guard Tre Johnson have spent more time with the Redskins.

"It's funny, there are a few guys out there older than me, but I've almost been here the longest," Bailey said. "It feels good. I can try to pass on the wisdom that has been passed on to me. Everybody's kind of looking at me to know what to do because I've been around here so long."

http://www.redskins.com/story.asp?ContentID=11675