PDA

View Full Version : Jackson replaced at DT by Smith

PA Season Ticket Holder
05-04-2003, 11:42 AM
Grady Jackson was met with a rude greeting when he reported to the Saints training facility on Thursday night for the start of this weekend's minicamp.

Shortly after weighing in at 366 pounds, Jackson, who started 15 games at defensive tackle last season, found himself listed with the second-team defense on the depth chart. Third-year pro Kenny Smith was the new starter at the tackle spot opposite rookie Johnathan Sullivan.

Saints officials said they want to see Jackson get closer to 330 pounds.

"I don't feel any pressure," said Jackson, sweat pouring from his brow after the two-hour morning workout in 90-degree heat. "Whatever happens happens. I'm always going to be a fighter. I came from the hard road."

Jackson angered Saints officials by failing to report to the team's offseason conditioning program last month. He and wide receiver Joe Horn, who is holding out in a contract dispute, are the only veterans under contract who were missing without permission. Jackson exacerbated the problem when he refused to return phone calls from numerous coaches and team officials over the past few weeks.

"I'm disappointed in Grady's weight and more disappointed that Grady wasn't here with his teammates," Saints coach Jim Haslett said. "Everybody was here but him. It's unprofessional. He's bad-looking. I don't think he's in very good shape at all. He needs to lose weight. And I worry about him in this heat."

http://www.nolalive.com/sports/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-2/10519467707810.xml

Gunzlingr
05-05-2003, 08:26 AM
By Jeff Duncan
Staff writer

The jersey is standard-issue black and gold. The helmet features the traditional fleur-de-lis on the side. But Grady Jackson doesn't feel like one of the Saints these days.

"I feel like an outcast," Jackson said Sunday, after sweating through the fifth practice of the weekend minicamp.

The veteran defensive tackle was eager to shower and head home to Jackson, Miss. His haste had little to do with the near-record heat and humidity that swamped the city.

After being demoted to second team and being publicly criticized by Coach Jim Haslett for reporting to camp at 366 pounds, Jackson said he no longer feels like a part of the team he joined last season as a prized free agent.

"I didn't lose my job, it was given away," Jackson said.

"I feel like a lone tree in the pasture, like I'm on an island. I've got to fight back and swim to shore. I'll get there. I've always been a fighter. This is just a little adversity that I've got to overcome."

MORE (http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-2/1052114272128800.xml)

NC-BILLS44
05-05-2003, 12:59 PM
Heck, at 366, his is an island.

PA Season Ticket Holder
05-05-2003, 01:35 PM
I remembered when tons of people were *****ing cause we didn't go after him last year. Worked out pretty good if you ask me.

BillsFever
07-26-2003, 04:51 PM
Saints officials expect defensive tackle Grady Jackson to be in training camp today after he failed to report Friday night.

The six-year veteran was the only player under contract not in camp, Saints general manager Mickey Loomis said.

http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-3/1059198932197880.xml