By the numbers, whats our problem on defense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

By the numbers, whats our problem on defense?

I specifically looked at our ranking in each of the main defensive categories.

The two worst areas or our defense are:

1) Interceptions, we are 27th in the league in getting interceptions.
    2) Sacks, we are 26th in the league in sacks.

Our 2 best areas are:

1) Were 10th in the league on preventing touchdowns.
    1) Tie- Total yards (13th) and Scoring (13th).

What do we read into it?

Not much to read into us needing more sacks. Its our number 1 need to make our defense better.

I will continue to preach that we need the best damn guy we can get in the offseason. To me thats Terrell Suggs, he fixes our OLB need and adds alot of pass rush potential in one large swoop. Yes, hes not a guy that plays the cover 2, but he can play WLB where we need a pass rusher. He can fit that scheme just fine. We are less than likely to pay the 8+ mill hes gonna command. Although considering the coin we gave Dockery at G, I could justify it.

I think its more likely that we go the draft route. Guys like Selvie, Hardy, and Everrette Brown ought to be able to help, but they may not pan out so who knows.

As for interceptions, I think we need another starting S early. I think it should be someone whos a very fast and mobile SS or a top FS talent assuming we move Whitner back to SS. I think William Moore is one of the best S prospects I have watched in a long time. Hes great against the run, hes great against the pass and he has the nasty demeanor to be everywhere you want to be, hes a football version of a Visa card. He probably wont fall to where we sit. After that, Taylor Mays can play, so can Myron Rolle, maybe Rashad Johnson, maybe Nic Harris. Free agency has squat.

• Pinkerton Security
    Pinkerton's son
    • Feb 2006

Re: By the numbers, whats our problem on defense?

the sad thing IMO is that Suggs would come here and be like Joey Porter the last couple years in Miami, because we just wouldnt use him to his full potential.

Comment

• Mitchell55
      only another 1000 mocks due by tomorrow!
      • Feb 2008

Originally posted by pinkdogg32
      the sad thing IMO is that Suggs would come here and be like Joey Porter the last couple years in Miami, because we just wouldnt use him to his full potential.

Do you even watch miami. Porter is the best blitzing LB in the NFL right now.

Comment

• yordad
        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Mitchell59
        Do you even watch miami. Porter is the best blitzing LB in the NFL right now.
        I believe he meant previous to them switching to the 3-4 this year.
        Originally posted by EdwardsEra

As for interceptions, I think we need another starting S early.
        If we create a pass rush, ints. will follow fairly automatically.
        "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
          Defies all logic
          • Oct 2006

If we signed Terrell Suggs next offseason I would flip **** and in a good way!! This guy would be everything we need, a guy who can rush the passer and isn't a liability in coverage.

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

It's partly the system and partly a lack of playmakers. The system holds our best guys back.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Mahdi
              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by OpIv37
              It's partly the system and partly a lack of playmakers. The system holds our best guys back.
              Like who?

Comment

• Mahdi
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by EdwardsEra
                I specifically looked at our ranking in each of the main defensive categories.

The two worst areas or our defense are:

1) Interceptions, we are 27th in the league in getting interceptions.
                2) Sacks, we are 26th in the league in sacks.

Our 2 best areas are:

1) Were 10th in the league on preventing touchdowns.
                1) Tie- Total yards (13th) and Scoring (13th).

What do we read into it?

Not much to read into us needing more sacks. Its our number 1 need to make our defense better.

I will continue to preach that we need the best damn guy we can get in the offseason. To me thats Terrell Suggs, he fixes our OLB need and adds alot of pass rush potential in one large swoop. Yes, hes not a guy that plays the cover 2, but he can play WLB where we need a pass rusher. He can fit that scheme just fine. We are less than likely to pay the 8+ mill hes gonna command. Although considering the coin we gave Dockery at G, I could justify it.

I think its more likely that we go the draft route. Guys like Selvie, Hardy, and Everrette Brown ought to be able to help, but they may not pan out so who knows.

As for interceptions, I think we need another starting S early. I think it should be someone whos a very fast and mobile SS or a top FS talent assuming we move Whitner back to SS. I think William Moore is one of the best S prospects I have watched in a long time. Hes great against the run, hes great against the pass and he has the nasty demeanor to be everywhere you want to be, hes a football version of a Visa card. He probably wont fall to where we sit. After that, Taylor Mays can play, so can Myron Rolle, maybe Rashad Johnson, maybe Nic Harris. Free agency has squat.
                Simple answer is lack of pass rush. Pass rush creates sacks and turnovers. We dont have any pass rushers on our team. Im surprised our D performs like it does considering that deficiency.

Comment

• shelby
                  The Vanilla *****
                  • Jul 2002

Injuries are a big part of our problem on defense.

Compare the performance of our D in the first four games to the last five.

Comment

• LtFinFan66
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by pinkdogg32
                    He was only misused one year in Miami. This is only his second year there

Comment

• Night Train
                      Retired - On Several Levels
                      • Jul 2005

The D problem is the Scheme. You could aquire 3-4 more top players and it still wouldn't make a difference.

Dump the Cover 2 and return to a physical 4-3.
                      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• jamze132
                        Don’t hate…
                        • Jun 2003

This defense will never be successful under Fewell and his bull**** version of Cover 2.

And another reason we are destined for suckness is our serious lack of talent on the D-line. If we could get our front 4 to generate even a resemblance of a pass rush, you would see every defensive stat improve to include more interceptions.

Comment

• X-Era
                          What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by jamze132
                          This defense will never be successful under Fewell and his bull**** version of Cover 2.

And another reason we are destined for suckness is our serious lack of talent on the D-line. If we could get our front 4 to generate even a resemblance of a pass rush, you would see every defensive stat improve to include more interceptions.
                          Thats why I wouldn't rule out a DT in one of the first 3 rounds anymore than a DE and we may just get both.

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                            • Feb 2005

DE
                            LB
                            DE
                            C
                            G
                            T
                            G

That should be our '09 draft.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                              Unreachable Douche
                              • Jul 2002

Biggest problem on defense? No pass rush. It's been that way for years.

Comment

Working...
                              X