PDA

View Full Version : NFL ROUNDUP: Lions defensive tackle Rogers not bothered by trade efforts

PA Season Ticket Holder
05-04-2003, 11:51 AM
BY CURT SYLVESTER
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

If the Lions were trying to send defensive tackle Shaun Rogers a message with their attempts to trade him before the draft, they apparently failed.

"It snuck up on me once again that it's a business," Rogers said Friday. "I take it as a compliment that I'm a tradeable commodity, that's what it is."

Rogers, a second-round pick in the 2001 draft, had an outstanding rookie season, only slightly below Pro Bowl standards, but his production fell dramatically last season.

The Lions acknowledge that a preseason ankle surgery and a broken, dislocated left thumb were impediments to Rogers' development last year, but they weren't satisfied with his weight or conditioning.

"Everybody wants to play at a high level," he said, "but at the same time when an injury comes upon you, there's not too much you can do about that except deal with it and do the best you can.

"I had a cast on my hand, so I made the best of the situation, played as much as I could and as well as I could, and I got the results that I got."

http://www.freep.com/sports/lions/nfl3_20030503.htm