PDA

View Full Version : Give Justin Jenkins and Steve Johnson a chance

psubills62
11-13-2008, 08:31 PM
I think we should start using them more - a good deal more. Yes, they're inexperienced. But look at what Sam Aiken is doing in NE - he had a couple big catches against us, and now he got a 43 yard reception against the Jets.

It's obvious the staff just ignored him as a WR and simply used him as a ST's ace until he was replaced, then he was dispensable. I think that 1) we need to develop more weapons to get the heat off of Lee Evans, and 2) spread the ball around to our WR's. Parrish and Evans can't do it all by themselves, and who knows when our TE's will show up - they have extremely productive days one weekend, then use their superpowers to turn invisible the next. We can't rely on the TE's, so use more of our WR's, please. Hardy is getting open, so throw him the freaking ball for once when he's open!

Ebenezer
11-13-2008, 11:21 PM
This staff?? Aiken didn't get play here, from more than this staff, because he's not that great.

im8th2buffalo
11-13-2008, 11:30 PM
If we don't throw some different looks for our offense, then we will not win. The offense is very predictable. We do need to give these guys more playing time. Johnson has shown some promise. They also need to run Lynch more carries per game. He seems to do better as his # of carries increases.

Oaf
11-14-2008, 02:27 AM
I posted on this subject many times this year and many times the last few years. We should use our reserves but we just don't give them looks. If Hardy and Parrish both got hurt too, we'd still not give Jenkins/Johnson more than 4 passes combined.

jamze132
11-14-2008, 03:02 AM
These are the facts...

Steve Johnson had a real nice training camp.

Steve Johnson has caught every ball thrown to him in his rookie season. Granted it's only a couple, he is catching the ball and getting YAC.

bigbub2352
11-14-2008, 09:26 AM
How about Steve Johnson, Justin Jenkins who is supposdly suppossed to be a good ST player, i havent seen him make one tackle IMO, Steve shows he can get open and run after catch we need something to happen

zone
11-14-2008, 12:19 PM
Aiken had shots here, he couldn't consistently catch the football when it was thrown to him.

He is only on pace for 10 receptions and 160 yards and that 43 yard reception greatly inflated his stats. Let's not get carried away.

madness
11-14-2008, 03:39 PM
Hardy is listed as questionable so I believe Jenkins and Johnson will get their shot afterall.

I would really like to see Johnson lineup as #2 and put Jenkins and Parrish in the slot but I doubt that would happen.

I really feel if Johnson gets a shot as #2 this week, he's going to make it really hard to justify putting Hardy back on the field this early.

I really like Hardy but between his mental lapses and inability to make the tough grabs (between the endzones), I just don't think he's ready yet for a full-time roll.

Tatonka
11-14-2008, 04:40 PM
by the way.. right after aiken had his screen go for 49... he dropped the very next pass to him (which fortunately for him was not behind the line of scrimmage this time).

lets not pretend that because the guy had one 49 yard bubble screen play that we never should have let him go. he was nothing.. he still is nothing.

yordad
11-14-2008, 05:20 PM
Andre Davis......

<table class="w655px datatablecell" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr onmouseout="this.className='rowAlt'" onmouseover="this.className='over'" class="rowAlt"><td> 2007 </td> <td> Houston Texans (http://www.nfl.com/teams/houstontexans/profile?team=HOU) </td> <td> 14 </td> <td> 8 </td> <td>33</td> <td>583</td> <td>17.7</td> <td>53T</td> <td>3</td> <td>--</td> <td>--</td> <td>--</td> <td>--</td> <td>--</td> <td>1</td> <td>1</td> </tr> <tr class="" onmouseout="this.className=''" onmouseover="this.className='over'"> <td> 2006 </td> <td> Buffalo Bills (http://www.nfl.com/teams/buffalobills/profile?team=BUF) </td> <td> 16 </td> <td> 1 </td> <td>2</td> <td>13</td> <td>6.5</td> <td>8</td> <td>0</td> <td>--</td> <td>--</td> <td>--</td> <td>--</td> <td>--</td> <td>--</td> <td>--</td></tr></tbody></table>

yordad
11-14-2008, 05:22 PM
Davis gained 13 yard w the Bills in '06. Then 583 the next year after leaving.

Michael82
11-15-2008, 12:52 AM
I don't get the love for Johnson. As for Hardy...he has actually gotten open quite a bit over the last few weeks, but Trent hasn't been able to find him. :(

Night Train
11-15-2008, 08:33 AM
Johnson especially should be getting lots of looks. He runs tight patterns and shows the great hands. He stood out to me during the summer camp visits.

Give them a shot.

ddaryl
11-15-2008, 10:59 AM
If the season continues to go in the crapper then we should be getting these guys extended palying time. need to know what we have and get them experiece.

I haven't watched jenkins much but Johnson definitely has big potential for a 7th rounder.

Still miss Reed... hard to believe how valuable he really was this year. We knew he was having a good year, but as soon as he went out.., Trent was affected

acehole
11-15-2008, 11:16 AM
I would also...but not for the reasons you want per se.

For me I think it will open up the run game.

Defenses have easily have caught up to our qb on game film.

They are rushing 3 knowing trent gets the ball out in 2-3 seconds as he is afraid to get hit.

Why rush anyone when the ball comes out that fast?

They are putting many into coverage in the areas he like to throw in
...that 5-10 yard range....

I think the way to counter our one dimentional qb...

is to put more guys in the patern and force single coverage on Lee on hardy as there is bound to be mismatches......with lynch in the backfield...if he can get by the first wave of defenders he will be on db's more and more. He has a much better chance at yards like that.....if Trent can hit the hot route or hit the guy who is on the blitzer or any open guy that will make all the difference. Problem is he is not seeing the open guy as he is paniced and afraid to get hit...that is possibly why he developed his short game so well.
We have nothing to lose to try...he might develop a timing early on to get somthing going....

This is the same reason the Cade Mcnowns and kelly holcolms fail in the NFL.

It would be cool to see what these guys got anyhow...as we seem to be pissing away this season..

Is it to early to talk draft yet?

I think we should start using them more - a good deal more. Yes, they're inexperienced. But look at what Sam Aiken is doing in NE - he had a couple big catches against us, and now he got a 43 yard reception against the Jets.

It's obvious the staff just ignored him as a WR and simply used him as a ST's ace until he was replaced, then he was dispensable. I think that 1) we need to develop more weapons to get the heat off of Lee Evans, and 2) spread the ball around to our WR's. Parrish and Evans can't do it all by themselves, and who knows when our TE's will show up - they have extremely productive days one weekend, then use their superpowers to turn invisible the next. We can't rely on the TE's, so use more of our WR's, please. Hardy is getting open, so throw him the freaking ball for once when he's open!

acehole
11-15-2008, 11:22 AM
Hmm so having multiple weapons does mater....

Wow you learn somthing new everyday.

:brilliant: :brilliant: :brilliant:

If the season continues to go in the crapper then we should be getting these guys extended palying time. need to know what we have and get them experiece.

I haven't watched jenkins much but Johnson definitely has big potential for a 7th rounder.

Still miss Reed... hard to believe how valuable he really was this year. We knew he was having a good year, but as soon as he went out.., Trent was affected

Akhippo
11-15-2008, 03:47 PM
What are you talking about getting the ball out quickly. He has a quick release. That differs from getting it out quickly. We run slow developing routes. Alot of the time he is holding it waiting for the routes to open. Then hell dump it off.

They rush three because they know they can still get pressure. Plain and simple.

We could have Moss, Welker, and Watson and still screw it up for the simple fact we dont know how to call an offensive gameplan.

If anything, we should be FORCING the ball into Hardy. Either he will learn or look like a fool. Be like Denver and not be afraid to do the obvious. They threw a fade and it didnt work. So the very next play... they threw it again. If you have the weapons, USE THEM. Playing scared gets you mediocrity.