PDA

View Full Version : Few Huge Observations after last night's game

patmoran2006
11-14-2008, 09:11 AM
1- Can the people who said at the time that the Jets trading for Bret Favre wasn’t a big deal now firmly put their foot in their mouths? Do you think the Jets are 7-3 without him? He was traded for specifically for games like last night. He’s the second highest rated QB in the league and is becoming an MVP candidate (again). So much for him being “washed up.” He singlehandedly carried the jets over the Patriots last night.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
2- A few people in here lately were talking about drafting and how picking a TE in round one is an automatic bad move.. Someone tell that to the Jets. How big a difference is Dustin Keller making for the Jets right now? How about 14 catches for 194 Yards and a TD in the past two games.<o:p></o:p>
3- Matt Cassell. Wow. He was amazing last night. Since he wasn’t even a real prospect in this league. It shows two things about the Patriots organization. A) Their coaching from top to bottom is unbelievable. B) They are a real front office that always seem to make the right choices.<o:p></o:p>
After last night’s game.. I really think the Jets are going to win this division. They got Favre, they run the ball good enough. .They’re very good on the OL and they have a monster middle of their defense, led by Jenkins.<o:p></o:p>
I think NE may fall off a little. Hey, if we win Monday and stay even with them til week #17 we’ll be playing them at home with the same record. Hopefully, Miami will fall on their face a few times (against us especially)—because I really think that between NE, Miami and buffalo one, without an outside shot at two teams are making the wildcards.. I think the Jets win this division by two games or more.<o:p></o:p>
Even though <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Baltimore</st1:place></st1:City> is 6-3, they got a MURDER schedule (still the entire NFC East to play) and they may not get to 10 wins. Indy at 5-4 scares me, which could mean the difference between one or two wildcards from the AFCE.<o:p></o:p>

trapezeus
11-14-2008, 09:16 AM
agreed with everything except with favre. i think favre's complete lack of interest in the loss of the NFC championship game last year shows me that he will let the jets down. they aren't going to get to the superbowl this year, and next year he will play his retirement game and possibly come back to close his contract obligations.

So that leaves the jets without a superbowl, still without a QB, and still building for the future. I think the jets spent a ton of money for a lot of short term gains. The point of that gamble was to win it all this year or next. And if they don't do that, their team's development is going to be really hurt.

Great analysis on the game though Pat. I thought that Cassel's last drive was amazing for where he came from. Also i loved that the Patriots were comfortable punting with 3 minutes left, knowing that their defense would get them the ball back.

bigbub2352
11-14-2008, 09:16 AM
I will help u out too Pat both teams played with passion, and a will to win, gee has nothing to do with there coaching staff,

Out team doesnt play physical or with passion, especially our Lines

Man i wish we never heard of Skeletor, i mean DJ

zone
11-14-2008, 09:26 AM
One thing last night showed me is that Tom Brady = product of the system.

You throw a guy who hasn't started a game since HS behind that line and he can throw for 400 yards.

Oh wait, they did...

patmoran2006
11-14-2008, 09:32 AM
On plays the Jets rushed only 3 it was comical. Cassell was back there, dancing around, having all day to throw on them. That’s obviously because of great pass protection.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
But with our OL, teams rush three and it still feels like a Blitz from the 46 and Trent ends up getting sacked or rushing a pass because he’s about to get drilled.<o:p></o:p>

Coach Sal
11-14-2008, 09:36 AM
Wow, Pat. I was writing some observations of my own when you posted this. So, instead of pimping my own thread with the same theme, I'll just add mine to yours if that's ok?! By the way......excellent observations.

1. I'm still pissed at how Kris Jenkins dominated our offensive line, but I don't feel AS bad about it after watching what he also did to the Pats OLine all night. The entire Jets DL, for that matter, did a great job getting pressure on Cassel AND stopping their run game. As a NT Jenkins gets a lot of double-teams. But if he's not doubled he's basically unblockable. We have to figure out a way to neutralize him the next time we play or it will be the same result.

That brings me to this point...the Pats DID find a way to neutralize Jenkins:
2. NO HUDDLE! Both times the Pats went no huddle, they had a lot of success (end of each half), and it's no coincidence that the no-huddle put Jenkins on the sidelines. Want to take him out of the game? Then literally take him out of the game! Do that by going no huddle. He can't play in that situation, and if he does, he'll be totally gassed and beatable.

3. Why have other teams been able to figure out that the Pats LBs and safeties are too slow and/or not good enough to cover the tight end, yet the Bills can't? Here are the Pats four losses and what the other team's TEs have done to them in each game:

Miami: 4 catches 87 yards
San Diego: 5 catches 39 yards
Indy: 5 catches 67 yards
NYJ: 11 catches 98 yards - The Jets TEs abused the Pats LBs and secondary.

Bills TEs vs. Patriots: 2 catches 20 yards

Uhhhh.....how 'bout we involve the TE a little bit when we play the Pats? Looks like that's a pretty good indicator of success.

4. Matt Cassel is now the only "threat" to run the ball for the Pats! Seriously, this is ridiculous. It's Matt freaking Cassel RUNNING the ball!! When we played them last week, our LBs took some big drops when they went into coverage. I wouldn't do that again. Next time we play them, keep a LB more in the middle of the field - and don't take such a deep drop when they read "pass" - and that will not only make sure Cassel doesn't take off up the middle, but it may also prevent a few Wes Welker crossing routes.

HHURRICANE
11-14-2008, 09:42 AM
I am convinced that we are the worst team in the division right now. To even think that we are better than Miami right now would be a major stretch.

realdealryan
11-14-2008, 09:43 AM
My four "observations":

a) Brady-led Patriots don't punt last night, the game isn't as close, Favre has to gun-sling them back into the game, and it's a 45-17 rout. Watson was open EVERY OTHER play and Cassel completely missed him on several occasions. Of the 21 incompletions, there were several complete misses. Take away a portion of the run game while playing from behind, and the Jets are in trouble.

b) *Cliche ALERT* It all starts with line play. On defense, Jenkins pulled the same crap that he did on Dockery to Neal (I think?) and dominated the first half. Up front, except for a couple blown assignments, the Jets protected and RAN (so that's what it looks like?) well.

c) From what I've seen of Pennington, I'm not so sure that Favre is doing any better than he would have. I think the offensive line is the difference, with Keller being a hell of an asset as well. Maybe they don't drop 50-something and 40-something on the NFC West, but I bet Pennington wins the Oakland game and doesn't toss the pick-sixes that Fav-ruh is prone to. I'm not signed on to Brett as the reason for the resurrection of the Jets until Pennington ruins the Dolphins AND Brett loses key players in NY and still wins.

d) After watching line play, adjustments (Jenkins dominating? Go the hurry-up and keep him off the field), quick coaching decisions with regards to a certain flag, etc...................

how the hell are we going to beat either of these teams?
(and will it matter.......?)

Philagape
11-14-2008, 09:44 AM
One thing last night showed me is that Tom Brady = product of the system.

Yeah, that offense hasn't missed a beat since last year. Only 15 points a game less, but it couldn't be because of Brady, right?

eyedog
11-14-2008, 09:45 AM
The obvious observation is the Bills are a reflection of their head coach, just like most teams are.
Both the Jets and Pats are well coached and it shows. Just like the Bills are not well coached and that shows, every week.
It's as simple as that.

HHURRICANE
11-14-2008, 10:02 AM
I blame Jauron less and the front office alot more.

It's hard to string wins together when you have missed:

Crowell, Schobel, Whitner, Yobouty, Reed, Butler, and DiGorgio.

Crowell was our best LB, Schobel our best DE, Reed is our most reliable WR.

It's the front office's job to bring in players that can play. It might not be there fault that Yobouty keeps missing the field but that's who they brought in.

colin
11-14-2008, 10:10 AM
the pats had 500 plus yards and the jets had 300 and change -- the kick off return and a couple circus catches and calls helped the jets early and then they barely held on.

we moved the ball well against the jests without any running, we lost due to some bad turnovers, same thing with miami.

NE is still the big test in the divisionl

ScottLawrence
11-14-2008, 11:00 AM
1- Can the people who said at the time that the Jets trading for Bret Favre wasn’t a big deal now firmly put their foot in their mouths? Do you think the Jets are 7-3 without him? He was traded for specifically for games like last night. He’s the second highest rated QB in the league and is becoming an MVP candidate (again). So much for him being “washed up.” He singlehandedly carried the jets over the Patriots last night.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
2- A few people in here lately were talking about drafting and how picking a TE in round one is an automatic bad move.. Someone tell that to the Jets. How big a difference is Dustin Keller making for the Jets right now? How about 14 catches for 194 Yards and a TD in the past two games.<o:p></o:p>
3- Matt Cassell. Wow. He was amazing last night. Since he wasn’t even a real prospect in this league. It shows two things about the Patriots organization. A) Their coaching from top to bottom is unbelievable. B) They are a real front office that always seem to make the right choices.<o:p></o:p>
After last night’s game.. I really think the Jets are going to win this division. They got Favre, they run the ball good enough. .They’re very good on the OL and they have a monster middle of their defense, led by Jenkins.<o:p></o:p>
I think NE may fall off a little. Hey, if we win Monday and stay even with them til week #17 we’ll be playing them at home with the same record. Hopefully, Miami will fall on their face a few times (against us especially)—because I really think that between NE, Miami and buffalo one, without an outside shot at two teams are making the wildcards.. I think the Jets win this division by two games or more.<o:p></o:p>
Even though <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Baltimore</st1:place></st1:City> is 6-3, they got a MURDER schedule (still the entire NFC East to play) and they may not get to 10 wins. Indy at 5-4 scares me, which could mean the difference between one or two wildcards from the AFCE.<o:p></o:p>

Agreed.

The biggest difference between us and the Patriots is coaching.

The Jets have the most talent in the division and will take it, IMO.

The Patriots Miami game next week should be pretty interesting. If the Patriots lose two in a row they'll be sitting at 6-5 with the Steelers up next while Miami could be 7-4 in very good position for a wild card.

Oaf
11-14-2008, 01:55 PM
Too bad we seem to make more astute "observations" than our coaches seem to make against these teams.

TigerJ
11-14-2008, 04:39 PM
I pretty much agree with you, Pat, though not having the NFL Network (thanks, Time Warner) I didn't see the game. My issue with Favre is not that he's washed up. I still thought he could be a great QB. My issue is that he is a viable QB only for a team that is ready to win right now. If you have a young promising QB on your roster right now, like Buffalo did last year (and still does) you have to weigh the chances Favre can put you over the top versus the loss of a year or two of development time for your young promising QB. The Jets was a good fit for Favre. It's clear Pennington wasn't as good as Favre, and the Jets were already weighing whether they wanted to stick with him or try to develop a young guy. They don't have any young guy with as much upside as Trent Edwards, so they really didn't have that much to lose.

Nighthawk
11-14-2008, 04:59 PM
The obvious observation is the Bills are a reflection of their head coach, just like most teams are.
Both the Jets and Pats are well coached and it shows. Just like the Bills are not well coached and that shows, every week.
It's as simple as that.

That was my thought too. It's amazing what good coaching can do for a team.

TheBrownBear
11-14-2008, 06:30 PM
It's all about coaching. These two teams looked like scrubs the first time they played. Now they both look like legitimate contenders. It's amazing how far they've progressed since the beginning of the season. Keep in mind that Cassell is basically a bum who sat his entire college career behind a guy who can't even start for Arizona. Now he's a friggin worldbeater....hmmmnnn....wonder how that happened?

Now take a look at the Bills. Compare what the Bills looked like during the first two weeks and what they look like now. They look like crap...hmmnnn...how did that happen?

Michael82
11-15-2008, 12:59 AM
I pretty much agree with you, Pat, though not having the NFL Network (thanks, Time Warner) I didn't see the game. My issue with Favre is not that he's washed up. I still thought he could be a great QB. My issue is that he is a viable QB only for a team that is ready to win right now. If you have a young promising QB on your roster right now, like Buffalo did last year (and still does) you have to weigh the chances Favre can put you over the top versus the loss of a year or two of development time for your young promising QB. The Jets was a good fit for Favre. It's clear Pennington wasn't as good as Favre, and the Jets were already weighing whether they wanted to stick with him or try to develop a young guy. They don't have any young guy with as much upside as Trent Edwards, so they really didn't have that much to lose.
You can watch the game on NFL.com for free. :up:

Akhippo
11-15-2008, 03:56 PM
15 points less a game.

You had the record breaking offense last year.
You have a QB that didnt start in college and is just getting his first starts in the NFL.

And your ONLY 15 pts less a game.

Straight system!!

Mahdi
11-15-2008, 09:14 PM
Good points. Especially about the TE position.

But hey its ok we have balanced TEs that can block. Who needs receptions?

Mahdi
11-15-2008, 09:26 PM
The Jets schedule is not going to be as easy as it looks.

They have to go to Tennessee, San Fran and Seattle. Tennessee is a loss, san fran is not going to be an easy game. They are playing better since Mike Singletary took over and its never easy to go to the west coast and play well.

Seattle is getting healthy. Hasselbeck and Branch are returning this week and by the time the Jets go to Seattle late in the year the Hawks should be hitting their stride. I am calling that a loss for the Jets.

Then their home games are Bills, Broncos and Dolphins. Divisional games are always a battle and I think the Broncos offense can have a lot of success against the Jets D.

My prediction is the Jets losing to the Bills, Broncos, Titans, and Seahawks. With close wins against the Niners and Dolphins.

We still have a decent shot at the division if we can get healthy soon, particularly Schobel.

acehole
11-16-2008, 09:26 AM
This is a post I can agree with 100%.

I wanted him here...ponder that move and where we would be right now?

<o:p></o:p>

trapezeus
11-17-2008, 11:33 AM
This is a post I can agree with 100%.

I wanted him here...ponder that move and where we would be right now?

is this in reference that you wanted Favre here?

I think on this team, favre's huge INT numbers would have been bigger. if you watch favre this season, his interceptions come from launching passes when he's throwing off his back foot trying to make something of nothing.

Trent is being abused in the last 3 weeks. In my mind, i see Favre having hte same if not more turnovers than Trent.

This team would be in the exact same situation as it was with bledsoe. A short term increase and a long term deficit which we are still working out of.