PDA

View Full Version : Sapp Not Talking New Contract - Yet

PA Season Ticket Holder
05-04-2003, 11:57 AM
TAMPA - Warren Sapp was back on a football field Friday, where he's most comfortable, showing off what he says are his God-given talents.
``That's my sanctuary,'' Sapp said between workouts during the first day of the Bucs' three-day minicamp at One Buc Place.

Every indication is that Sapp will be on a football field July 19 for the start of training camp, and that he will honor the final year of the six-year contract he would like the Bucs to extend before then.

Sapp fell short of guaranteeing that Friday. Though he reportedly has said he would never stage a training-camp holdout, Sapp did not definitively rule it out while speaking with reporters.

``I don't discuss that,'' Sapp said when asked if he could guarantee his presence throughout training camp. ``I haven't even talked to [agent] Drew [Rosenhaus] about that, because we don't have anything to talk about.

``If you don't get an offer, you have nothing to talk about, do you? I've got a contract. And until I hear something different from what's going on, there's no telling what might go on.''

There is no way of telling how this contractual issue with Sapp will end up, either. It could result in Sapp playing out the final year of his contract and becoming a free agent.

Or it could result in the Bucs keeping Sapp for another year by naming him their ``franchise player'' and paying him the average of the NFL's five highest-paid defensive tackles ($5.9 million last season).

http://bucs.tbo.com/bucs/MGA84PLW8FD.html

The_Philster
08-21-2003, 05:11 AM
With McFarland signed, Sapp wonders about his future with Bucs
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) -- Warren Sapp rattled off a few lines from his impressive NFL resume, then wondered aloud why any team -- much less the Tampa Bay Buccaneers -- would be hesitant to offer a new contract to a player with his credentials.

"There's a 30-year-old who's about to become a free agent in this league. He's a defensive player of the year, Super Bowl champion, six-time Pro Bowler, four-time All-Pro selection," the defensive tackle said Wednesday. "You'd welcome that if that were you, wouldn't you?"...
more (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/football/nfl/08/20/bc.fbn.bucs.sapp.ap/index.html)

Buczilla
08-23-2003, 01:04 AM
Don't read too far into this. We gave Booger a huge signing bonus for a reason. Most of his money will come in his final 2 years, allowing us to lock Sapp up for a short term contract, then, when the time comes... possibly re-structuring McFarland's contract, and signing Sapp to a deal that will keep him with us for the rest of his career.

Cntrygal
08-23-2003, 02:51 AM
Welcome to the Zone buczilla! ;)