PDA

View Full Version : Jim Kelly on Howard Simon

patmoran2006
11-17-2008, 08:19 AM
Jimbo was just on with Howard Simon and he talked about the defense among other things. He said, or more/less pleaded with Perry Fewel. He said if you’re going to have your top guy Schobel out, that you have to come out with more schemes and blitz packages to get to the quarterback. He said quarterbacks are going to continue to eat this defense up if we keep giving the QB’s all day to throw the ball. Very good stuff.. I love Jimbo.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

madness
11-17-2008, 08:25 AM
Vanilla is the most devoured flavor in this league. It's time to step it up, Fewell.

LarryBoy
11-17-2008, 08:25 AM
I'm really rooting for him to buy this team.

HHURRICANE
11-17-2008, 08:26 AM
Jimbo was just on with Howard Simon and he talked about the defense among other things. He said, or more/less pleaded with Perry Fewel. He said if you’re going to have your top guy Schobel out, that you have to come out with more schemes and blitz packages to get to the quarterback. He said quarterbacks are going to continue to eat this defense up if we keep giving the QB’s all day to throw the ball. Very good stuff.. I love Jimbo.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

I hope we get Romeo Crennel as our D coordinator next year.

jamze132
11-17-2008, 09:23 AM
I hope Fewell gets fired soon...

OpIv37
11-17-2008, 09:36 AM
you know, I'm frustrated with this D as well and I've never been a fan of the Cover 2. But realistically, the D has played well enough to win, even in most of the losses. It was the O that's really choked lately, especially against NE.

BlackMetalNinja
11-17-2008, 09:39 AM
you know, I'm frustrated with this D as well and I've never been a fan of the Cover 2. But realistically, the D has played well enough to win, even in most of the losses. It was the O that's really choked lately, especially against NE.To put it bluntly, we haven't run the ball worth a damn all year long and nobody respects/fears it at this point. Hard for the passing game to succeed with those conditions.

mchurchfie
11-17-2008, 09:59 AM
Fewell should have been fired after the brilliance he showed in the last two minutes of the last MNF game. Instead of throwing some blitzes at the rookie to confuse him he will sit back in his stupid cover two with his three and four man fronts and the dbs 10 yards off the ball and let him play pitch and catch to build his confidence up, guaranteed.

bigbub2352
11-17-2008, 10:10 AM
you know, I'm frustrated with this D as well and I've never been a fan of the Cover 2. But realistically, the D has played well enough to win, even in most of the losses. It was the O that's really choked lately, especially against NE.

I see your point OP, but i gotta say this, we might not get alot of pts scored on us, but the problem lies in the fact that it is keeping our offense off the feild, they give up long sustained drives of 12-19 plays a game and that keeps the rhythm away from our Offense which is another contributing problem the offense has

Our D Scheme is a joke as is Fewell, only a Defenzive Cordianter in buffalo would keep his job after back to back 31st and 30th ranked D

we also have players on D that dont fit the scheme, hence Jonh Guy head of signing FA and Tom Modrak head of the draft scouting, McCargo, Stroud, Poz, Mitchell, Kelsay, Denney, S Johnson, all dont fit the cover 2 scheme of fast attacking players to much FO mishandling going on

OpIv37
11-17-2008, 10:16 AM
I see your point OP, but i gotta say this, we might not get alot of pts scored on us, but the problem lies in the fact that it is keeping our offense off the feild, they give up long sustained drives of 12-19 plays a game and that keeps the rhythm away from our Offense which is another contributing problem the offense has

Our D Scheme is a joke as is Fewell, only a Defenzive Cordianter in buffalo would keep his job after back to back 31st and 30th ranked D

we also have players on D that dont fit the scheme, hence Jonh Guy head of signing FA and Tom Modrak head of the draft scouting, McCargo, Stroud, Poz, Mitchell, Kelsay, Denney, S Johnson, all dont fit the cover 2 scheme of fast attacking players to much FO mishandling going on

I agree. The way I see it, there are 2 fundamental flaws with the cover 2. First, it requires the PERFECT personnel and we're not even close. Every successful cover 2 has had an elite player anchoring it- Bob Sanders, Warren Sapp, etc. We don't even have the proper players, let alone someone elite.

Second, if the other team is winning or close late in the game and they can run the ball, it allows the O to exploit the lack of size of a C2 D. That's the reason for these long drives at the end of games. If the team plays well enough to have a lead in the middle of the 4th, the other team is forced to pass and it plays into the D's strength. But when running is still an option (and if the other team is winning, it's the best option), the C2 is worthless.

All that being said, our D has kept us in most of our games. A little more production out of the O, and the other offense won't be in a position to just ram it down our throats in the 4th. Long-term, I'd like to see some changes to this D, but for now, they really aren't the biggest problem this team has.

Philagape
11-17-2008, 10:25 AM
The problem with this defense is that it depends of the offense to do well.
If that happens and they're playing with a lead, the defense is designed to defend the pass, and they won't have to be on the field long because the other team will be in a hurry and trying to make big plays and take bigger risks.
However, if the opponent is ahead and takes its time and tries to eat clock, the Bills have proven time and time and time again that they can't stop that in the fourth quarter, and they can't get off the field.
It's all related, and that's the problem.
A good defense needs to be self-reliant. It needs to be able to stop an offense, make plays and get off the field ON ITS OWN. Under any circumstances.
A defense that works only in certain situations is only half a defense.
Having better talent helps any defense, of course, but a defense whose scheme and design is limiting means it needs better players more than other defenses do.

Philagape
11-17-2008, 10:26 AM
I agree. The way I see it, there are 2 fundamental flaws with the cover 2. First, it requires the PERFECT personnel and we're not even close. Every successful cover 2 has had an elite player anchoring it- Bob Sanders, Warren Sapp, etc. We don't even have the proper players, let alone someone elite.

Second, if the other team is winning or close late in the game and they can run the ball, it allows the O to exploit the lack of size of a C2 D. That's the reason for these long drives at the end of games. If the team plays well enough to have a lead in the middle of the 4th, the other team is forced to pass and it plays into the D's strength. But when running is still an option (and if the other team is winning, it's the best option), the C2 is worthless.

All that being said, our D has kept us in most of our games. A little more production out of the O, and the other offense won't be in a position to just ram it down our throats in the 4th. Long-term, I'd like to see some changes to this D, but for now, they really aren't the biggest problem this team has.

We were thinking the same thing at the same time

SpillerThrills
11-17-2008, 10:30 AM

ok who are you? and what have you done with Op????:sarcasm2:

mchurchfie
11-17-2008, 10:39 AM
Indy and Chicago's cover twos got gouged for huge yardage on the ground yesterday.

DraftBoy
11-17-2008, 10:44 AM
As much as I respect Jimbo and agree with his opinion. Its just not realistic for us to do. We don't have the personell to just blitz continously and not get torched in the quick passing game. We dont have good jam corners, we have only one good blitzing LB and front four provide zero pressure. We'd almost have to send 2 blitzers just to apply pressure and then we leave our CB's on islands against top WR's like Bowe, Edwards, Moss, Cotchery, Coles, etc...Does anybody trust McGee or Greer to shut those guys down with no over the top help?

jdbillsfan
11-17-2008, 10:56 AM
As much as I respect Jimbo and agree with his opinion. Its just not realistic for us to do. We don't have the personell to just blitz continously and not get torched in the quick passing game. We dont have good jam corners, we have only one good blitzing LB and front four provide zero pressure. We'd almost have to send 2 blitzers just to apply pressure and then we leave our CB's on islands against top WR's like Bowe, Edwards, Moss, Cotchery, Coles, etc...Does anybody trust McGee or Greer to shut those guys down with no over the top help?

I agree with this. We don't have the personell and haven't really for a while now.

A TE can single block our DE's. Actually an RB can probably single block our DE's.

blackonyx89
11-17-2008, 11:14 AM

And your new head coach of the Buffalo Bills, Jim Kelly! I WISH!

:poop:

Forward_Lateral
11-17-2008, 11:41 AM
If you think about it, when you blitz, you have to play man coverage on the WRs. The Bills have been without McGee until a few weeks ago, and he only now seems to be back to 100%. Maybe now that he's back, Fewell will feel more comfortable blitzing.

Mahdi
11-17-2008, 11:48 AM

Dont agree. Puz, Mitchell, Stroud, S.Johnson are all compatible in the cover 2. The problem is that the most important element in a cover 2 are the DEs, and our DEs arent good for any scheme let alone one that requires speed rushers.

Imagine our defense minus Denney and Kelsay and plus Freeney and Mathis. Then all the other pieces on our team would be able to play to their full potential. Such as Puz and Mitchell and our interior DL.

We have everything we need on this D except for DEs and that is the ONE and ONLY problem this defense has.

The whole reason Fewell doesnt play press or bump and run at the LOS with our CBs is because you can only play that scheme if you know that your pass rush will get there in a hurry, if not, the WR will eventually get off the bump and it will be a big play. Fewell is trying to keep everything in front of his defense even if it means getting bled all the way down the field and giving up 3 rather than 7.

Fewell is in a bad spot right now and I dont blame him. O and btw, how many of our blitzes have worked. And several have been called because I watch the games over and I look for it. The problem is no one respects our DEs so a blitzing LB is going to get plenty of attention. The blitzes have been ineffective.

I hope they work today.

madness
11-17-2008, 12:17 PM
We have too many white DE's. :D

Mahdi
11-17-2008, 12:38 PM
We have too many white DE's. :D
Ya I think we need to diversify. I wouldnt mind a samoan somewhere on our team either.

Nighthawk
11-17-2008, 01:11 PM
How about Perry Fool actually comes up with a gameplan that dictates what the opposing offense does instead of them always dictacting the game to the Bills? Now that would be something...a coach actually coaching.

OpIv37
11-17-2008, 01:14 PM
How about Perry Fool actually comes up with a gameplan that dictates what the opposing offense does instead of them always dictacting the game to the Bills? Now that would be something...a coach actually coaching.

wonder how Fewell got that attitude? It starts at the top....

bigbub2352
11-17-2008, 01:20 PM

Brings me to my point i made above you, we have had the same scheme for 3 yrs why dont we have the correct personal
Our FO and Coaching staff is to blame

Mahdi
11-17-2008, 01:31 PM
WHO are we going to dictate with? Coaches need players who can exploit an offense. Im sorry but you dont just throw Denney and Kelsay out there and tell them to dictate to an offense. This is the NFL, players are talented AND smart. You're not just going to get untalented players to get results just because you have some sort of clever plan.

The only thing Fewell can do and HAS done is blitz and that hasn't worked because we dont have any real threats as pass rushers. Singling up on Denney and Kelsay and picking up blitzers is easy, then when it doesnt get there you get burned on the back end. Why dont we seem to understand the bind our defensive coaches are in without DEs. Like I said before, Im actually amazed our defense has allowed the amount of points it has to date considering the deficiencies in our personnel. Fewell is actually keeping the Bills in football games despite the fact he is majorly short-handed. If we had any sort of offense we could have won several of the games we lost.

blackonyx89
11-17-2008, 02:20 PM
Ya I think we need to diversify. I wouldnt mind a samoan somewhere on our team either.

When you say that, noone says nothing, when I say it. I'm a bigot! But the point is true and we need a dominant black or samoan DE!!!

DraftBoy
11-17-2008, 03:05 PM
He could be asian for all I care, we just need a dominant all around DE.

Nighthawk
11-17-2008, 07:16 PM
WHO are we going to dictate with? Coaches need players who can exploit an offense. Im sorry but you dont just throw Denney and Kelsay out there and tell them to dictate to an offense. This is the NFL, players are talented AND smart. You're not just going to get untalented players to get results just because you have some sort of clever plan.

The only thing Fewell can do and HAS done is blitz and that hasn't worked because we dont have any real threats as pass rushers. Singling up on Denney and Kelsay and picking up blitzers is easy, then when it doesnt get there you get burned on the back end. Why dont we seem to understand the bind our defensive coaches are in without DEs. Like I said before, Im actually amazed our defense has allowed the amount of points it has to date considering the deficiencies in our personnel. Fewell is actually keeping the Bills in football games despite the fact he is majorly short-handed. If we had any sort of offense we could have won several of the games we lost.

Sorry, but you do realize what you are saying hasn't worked? You do understand they've done the same, conservative gameplan these last 5 weeks or so and it hasn't worked? So what you're telling me is to keep doing the thing that has no chance at success? Ok, whatever.