• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Jim Kelly on Howard Simon

Jimbo was just on with Howard Simon and he talked about the defense among other things. He said, or more/less pleaded with Perry Fewel. He said if you’re going to have your top guy Schobel out, that you have to come out with more schemes and blitz packages to get to the quarterback. He said quarterbacks are going to continue to eat this defense up if we keep giving the QB’s all day to throw the ball. Very good stuff.. I love Jimbo.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • madness
    • Apr 2003

Re: Jim Kelly on Howard Simon

Vanilla is the most devoured flavor in this league. It's time to step it up, Fewell.

Comment

• LarryBoy
      The world needs a hero!
      • Apr 2003

I'm really rooting for him to buy this team.
      Bills Rock!

Comment

• HHURRICANE
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by patmoran2006
        Jimbo was just on with Howard Simon and he talked about the defense among other things. He said, or more/less pleaded with Perry Fewel. He said if you’re going to have your top guy Schobel out, that you have to come out with more schemes and blitz packages to get to the quarterback. He said quarterbacks are going to continue to eat this defense up if we keep giving the QB’s all day to throw the ball. Very good stuff.. I love Jimbo.
        I hope we get Romeo Crennel as our D coordinator next year.

Comment

• jamze132
          Don’t hate…
          • Jun 2003

I hope Fewell gets fired soon...

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

you know, I'm frustrated with this D as well and I've never been a fan of the Cover 2. But realistically, the D has played well enough to win, even in most of the losses. It was the O that's really choked lately, especially against NE.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• BlackMetalNinja
              I'm not Jewish, I'm just in it for the hats.
              • May 2005

Originally posted by OpIv37
              you know, I'm frustrated with this D as well and I've never been a fan of the Cover 2. But realistically, the D has played well enough to win, even in most of the losses. It was the O that's really choked lately, especially against NE.
              To put it bluntly, we haven't run the ball worth a damn all year long and nobody respects/fears it at this point. Hard for the passing game to succeed with those conditions.

Comment

• mchurchfie
                • Jul 2002

Fewell should have been fired after the brilliance he showed in the last two minutes of the last MNF game. Instead of throwing some blitzes at the rookie to confuse him he will sit back in his stupid cover two with his three and four man fronts and the dbs 10 yards off the ball and let him play pitch and catch to build his confidence up, guaranteed.
                My Band
                daveviterna.com

Comment

• bigbub2352
                  • Feb 2005

I see your point OP, but i gotta say this, we might not get alot of pts scored on us, but the problem lies in the fact that it is keeping our offense off the feild, they give up long sustained drives of 12-19 plays a game and that keeps the rhythm away from our Offense which is another contributing problem the offense has

Our D Scheme is a joke as is Fewell, only a Defenzive Cordianter in buffalo would keep his job after back to back 31st and 30th ranked D

we also have players on D that dont fit the scheme, hence Jonh Guy head of signing FA and Tom Modrak head of the draft scouting, McCargo, Stroud, Poz, Mitchell, Kelsay, Denney, S Johnson, all dont fit the cover 2 scheme of fast attacking players to much FO mishandling going on
                  XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

Originally posted by bigbub2352
                    I see your point OP, but i gotta say this, we might not get alot of pts scored on us, but the problem lies in the fact that it is keeping our offense off the feild, they give up long sustained drives of 12-19 plays a game and that keeps the rhythm away from our Offense which is another contributing problem the offense has

Our D Scheme is a joke as is Fewell, only a Defenzive Cordianter in buffalo would keep his job after back to back 31st and 30th ranked D

we also have players on D that dont fit the scheme, hence Jonh Guy head of signing FA and Tom Modrak head of the draft scouting, McCargo, Stroud, Poz, Mitchell, Kelsay, Denney, S Johnson, all dont fit the cover 2 scheme of fast attacking players to much FO mishandling going on
                    I agree. The way I see it, there are 2 fundamental flaws with the cover 2. First, it requires the PERFECT personnel and we're not even close. Every successful cover 2 has had an elite player anchoring it- Bob Sanders, Warren Sapp, etc. We don't even have the proper players, let alone someone elite.

Second, if the other team is winning or close late in the game and they can run the ball, it allows the O to exploit the lack of size of a C2 D. That's the reason for these long drives at the end of games. If the team plays well enough to have a lead in the middle of the 4th, the other team is forced to pass and it plays into the D's strength. But when running is still an option (and if the other team is winning, it's the best option), the C2 is worthless.

All that being said, our D has kept us in most of our games. A little more production out of the O, and the other offense won't be in a position to just ram it down our throats in the 4th. Long-term, I'd like to see some changes to this D, but for now, they really aren't the biggest problem this team has.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Philagape
                      WIN NOW
                      • Jul 2002

The problem with this defense is that it depends of the offense to do well.
                      If that happens and they're playing with a lead, the defense is designed to defend the pass, and they won't have to be on the field long because the other team will be in a hurry and trying to make big plays and take bigger risks.
                      However, if the opponent is ahead and takes its time and tries to eat clock, the Bills have proven time and time and time again that they can't stop that in the fourth quarter, and they can't get off the field.
                      It's all related, and that's the problem.
                      A good defense needs to be self-reliant. It needs to be able to stop an offense, make plays and get off the field ON ITS OWN. Under any circumstances.
                      A defense that works only in certain situations is only half a defense.
                      Having better talent helps any defense, of course, but a defense whose scheme and design is limiting means it needs better players more than other defenses do.
                      "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                      2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• Philagape
                        WIN NOW
                        • Jul 2002

I agree. The way I see it, there are 2 fundamental flaws with the cover 2. First, it requires the PERFECT personnel and we're not even close. Every successful cover 2 has had an elite player anchoring it- Bob Sanders, Warren Sapp, etc. We don't even have the proper players, let alone someone elite.

Second, if the other team is winning or close late in the game and they can run the ball, it allows the O to exploit the lack of size of a C2 D. That's the reason for these long drives at the end of games. If the team plays well enough to have a lead in the middle of the 4th, the other team is forced to pass and it plays into the D's strength. But when running is still an option (and if the other team is winning, it's the best option), the C2 is worthless.

All that being said, our D has kept us in most of our games. A little more production out of the O, and the other offense won't be in a position to just ram it down our throats in the 4th. Long-term, I'd like to see some changes to this D, but for now, they really aren't the biggest problem this team has.
                        We were thinking the same thing at the same time
                        "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                        2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• SpillerThrills
                          • Oct 2005

ok who are you? and what have you done with Op????:sarcasm2:
                          2008-2009 BZHL Champion!
                          2008 Pro Football Pick 'em Champion!
                          2008 Survival Football Co-Champion!
                          2006-2007 3 Star Pick 'em Champion!

Comment

• mchurchfie
                            • Jul 2002

Indy and Chicago's cover twos got gouged for huge yardage on the ground yesterday.
                            My Band
                            daveviterna.com

Comment

• DraftBoy
                              Administrator
                              • Jul 2002

As much as I respect Jimbo and agree with his opinion. Its just not realistic for us to do. We don't have the personell to just blitz continously and not get torched in the quick passing game. We dont have good jam corners, we have only one good blitzing LB and front four provide zero pressure. We'd almost have to send 2 blitzers just to apply pressure and then we leave our CB's on islands against top WR's like Bowe, Edwards, Moss, Cotchery, Coles, etc...Does anybody trust McGee or Greer to shut those guys down with no over the top help?
                              COMING SOON...
                              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X