PDA

View Full Version : Quinn vs. Edwards

justasportsfan
11-17-2008, 11:21 AM
I expect Trent to have a better dink and dunk day or else we should look into another OC because I doubt Dick gets fired.

trapezeus
11-17-2008, 11:25 AM
i mentioned this in a different thread, but last week i asked jerry sullivan in his chat about Ralphs take on this season so far, and he said ralph has been pretty quiet about the wins and the losses. but he got the sense that since DJ was resigned that the fall guy in a team meltdown is going to be Russ Brandon because the FA's haven't stayed at the elite level they were hoping for and the 2008 class is behind schedule. i think that's interesting that of all the personell to pin this on, that first time GM Brandon takes the fall as opposed to consistent loser DJ.

justasportsfan
11-17-2008, 11:35 AM
i mentioned this in a different thread, but last week i asked jerry sullivan in his chat about Ralphs take on this season so far, and he said ralph has been pretty quiet about the wins and the losses. but he got the sense that since DJ was resigned that the fall guy in a team meltdown is going to be Russ Brandon because the FA's haven't stayed at the elite level they were hoping for and the 2008 class is behind schedule. i think that's interesting that of all the personell to pin this on, that first time GM Brandon takes the fall as opposed to consistent loser DJ.
why should that be on Brandons shoulders when DJ and the coaches makes the calls on the field? :idunno: Even top draft talent we've brought in are under[erforming. Seems like anyone we bring in won't make a difference when the coaches cant set them up to succeed.

trapezeus
11-17-2008, 11:45 AM
why should that be on Brandons shoulders when DJ and the coaches makes the calls on the field? :idunno: Even top draft talent we've brought in are under[erforming. Seems like anyone we bring in won't make a difference when the coaches cant set them up to succeed.

i'm with you on DJ. we gave him 3 years to show he can do it, and in year 3 in critical division games, he's making the same bone head (high risk calls at unnecessary times, and low risk calls when time is running out). He may win the majority of the games this year, but he isn't instilling any faith in us that he can get us to the playoffs....ever.

But the truth is he signed a contract extension. i can't imagine ralph, or any other owner eating that contract. coaches contracts aren't like player contracts.

The Brandon comment was just interesting that if this season falls apart in a collapse. Something that it definitely is feeling like is a possibility, then Ralph will be forced to go to an outside football guy for GM duties. And he won't just chalk it up that we're developing. While we know DJ will screw it up in some fashion, better overall talent can't hurt. How many times are we going to draft a CB high? How is our LB core so slow in coverage? How are we still draft "high motor" DE's who only go outside to get the QB? While players and coaches have changed, our overall talent evaluation has remained pretty similar through the 8 years.

TacklingDummy
11-17-2008, 11:50 AM
How the God known as Turk has fallen.

trapezeus
11-17-2008, 11:53 AM
i think Turk got early praise because fairchild was so god awful last year. having a competent team that ran basic plays well, was a real improvement.

it still just looks like a basic offense. And it can't do the simple things well. if you can't run for 4 yards a carry consistently, you're failing as a coordinator of offense. you haven't coordinated anything. 3 yards and less a carry still puts you at 4th and 1. 4 yards means you are looking at 3rd and 1 and lets you call play action. it would help our mediocre WR's get open if more people had to get involved with the run. if the safety had to pinch, Lee is going to be open long a whole lot more.

madness
11-17-2008, 12:05 PM
I'm mad at Turk. I know our run game is struggling but that's no reason to come down with MartzGilbrideitis.

DraftBoy
11-17-2008, 12:11 PM
I think we should scrap the entire coaching staff and FO but thats just me. Both are equally bad and deserve fair share of the blame.