PDA

View Full Version : wow.. I can't get past this debacle..

patmoran2006
11-18-2008, 08:28 AM
Some disparaging thoughts as I ponder yet another lost season, which by far is the most depressing I’ve seen since 2003.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
--- This game and for the most part falls on Trent Edwards. I’ve been a big <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Trent</st1:place></st1:City> guy but if your going to praise him when he’s good, you have to criticize when he’s bad. And he stunk up the field again last night, and he’s the biggest reason we lost (again). I used to be able to defend him with the QB pressure and the ball is tipped and we can’t run excuses, but no more. Those second and third interceptions were 100% on him. He could’ve had more. He threw terrible passes to Lynch and Fine among others. His decision making is awful and he’s playing like a coward. I don’t know what happened. I don’t know if the concussion had some longer effects on him that we think. All I know is he’s gone from being the kind of QB I love to JP Losman V2.0 (maybe even worse). I’m out of words for him right now. It reminds me of former Yankee Chuck Knoblach—made a few errors at 2B and suddenly he could never throw the ball to first again. Something is really wrong with him, he has no confidence and he’s petrified to make a mistake.<o:p></o:p>
--- I am 100% sure that I hate Dick Jauron and think he’s a retread coach in this league who will never win. When you get outcoached by Romeo freegin Crennel, you need to re-evaluate your own abilities. How many times is he going to get outcoahed? How many time outs early in halfs we will waste this year? The last minute made me want to throw up. Edwards throws his best pass of the game to Royal for 20+ yards. Then Crennel calls a time out and jauron FREEZES. Instead of trying to pick up another first down (46 secs and a time out left) we stopped TRYING. Newsflash- even my wife realized we were at the 38 yard line, NOT THE 18 yard line, kicking into the wind on a cold <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Buffalo</st1:place></st1:City> night. BRUTAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Should Lindell have made the kick? Sure. But it shouldn’t have been a 47-yarder, if it were a 42 yarder the kick would’ve been good. I hate Jauron<o:p></o:p>
--- The honeymoon period for Turk is over.. You HAVE TO FIND a way to get Lee Evans the ball. It couldn’t be any more simple than that. Did we even ATTEMPT a pass to him? Houston, a lesser team than us (or maybe not) could have triple coverage on Andre Johnson every play, and even with a backup QB like Rosenfal, they will still find a way to get him the ball.<o:p></o:p>
--- I think Ko Simpson and Chris Kelsay are garbage, and I don’t think Ellison is much better.<o:p></o:p>
The sad part is there were so many more good things than bad. But in this league, you’re going to lose every time with horrible QB play and cowardice coaching, and that’s exactly what we got again.<o:p></o:p>
--- Marshawn Lynch made a name for himself nationally last night. We all know what he did already. Let’s leave it at that.<o:p></o:p>
n The OL gets an A+. There were holes to run through, and the pass blocking was impeccable. I seen Jason Peters drive Corey Williams 8-9 yards back at least a half dozen times. Dockery and <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Butler</st1:place></st1:City> were solid. <st1:City w:st="on">Walker</st1:City> played great, even Preston fared well (overall) against <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Rogers</st1:place></st1:City>.<o:p></o:p>
--- Marcus Stroud had his best game of the year. He was dominating. Kyle Williams was good.<o:p></o:p>
--- Hey, what do you know. Blitzing works. Aside from the stupid personal foul, Kawika Mitchell was a big factor again.<o:p></o:p>
--- Congrats Leodis McKelvin, you’ve arrived my man. His return speed and vision is downright scary and his kick returning almost won the game. He also played a GREAT game at corner in place of Greer. I thought he was the best player on the field last night besides Lynch and Stroud. Maybe this will kickstart his career.<o:p></o:p>
--- overall our special teams was great. We won the battle of field position all day long, aside from the bonehead kickoff by Lindell (who must be feeling awful right now)<o:p></o:p>
SUMMARY: This was as heartbreaking as it gets. Our season is pretty much over, an astonishing statement considering we were 5-1 a month ago. We can over or under analyze, but the bottom line is in the NFL, when you turn the ball over 13 times in 4 games, you’re not going to win. We went from having a MVP candidate at QB to a guy who has totally lost it. WE don’t even know if he’s the future anymore. And we have a bum coaching staff, led by a retread philosopher when its clear as day this team needs a guy who can light a fire under their asses. <o:p></o:p>
The only thing more depressing than the game was listening to the docile jauron and Edwards during the press conference. I’m losing faith in <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Trent</st1:place></st1:City> quickly, and I seriously despise Jauron. This team will never win if he’s the head coach. I don’t care how talented we are (or aren’t)<o:p></o:p>

Thurmal
11-18-2008, 09:12 AM
When we ran on 1st down after the Royal catch, I said to the people watching the game with me, "Knowing Jauron, he will probably try to run out the clock and settle for a 50-yarder into the wind." I was COMPLETELY joking. I thought there was no way even he would do something so stupid. Unbelievable.

That game had all the ingredients for a Bills heartbreaker:

Every bounce of the ball going the other team's way? Check.

Dubious officiating? Check.

A couple of guys carrying the team on their backs, only to have their efforts go in vain? Check.

Taking the lead, losing it, then nearly taking it back? Check.

Questionable coaching decisions? Check.

Tons of "almost" plays (Simpson INT, McKelvin INT, Corner missed sack), any of which probably wins the game? Check.

Defense letting you down when you need them most? Check.

DraftBoy
11-18-2008, 09:51 AM
Some disparaging thoughts as I ponder yet another lost season, which by far is the most depressing I’ve seen since 2003.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
--- This game and for the most part falls on Trent Edwards. I’ve been a big <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Trent</st1:place></st1:City> guy but if your going to praise him when he’s good, you have to criticize when he’s bad. And he stunk up the field again last night, and he’s the biggest reason we lost (again). I used to be able to defend him with the QB pressure and the ball is tipped and we can’t run excuses, but no more. Those second and third interceptions were 100% on him. He could’ve had more. He threw terrible passes to Lynch and Fine among others. His decision making is awful and he’s playing like a coward. I don’t know what happened. I don’t know if the concussion had some longer effects on him that we think. All I know is he’s gone from being the kind of QB I love to JP Losman V2.0 (maybe even worse). I’m out of words for him right now. It reminds me of former Yankee Chuck Knoblach—made a few errors at 2B and suddenly he could never throw the ball to first again. Something is really wrong with him, he has no confidence and he’s petrified to make a mistake.<o:p></o:p>
--- I am 100% sure that I hate Dick Jauron and think he’s a retread coach in this league who will never win. When you get outcoached by Romeo freegin Crennel, you need to re-evaluate your own abilities. How many times is he going to get outcoahed? How many time outs early in halfs we will waste this year? The last minute made me want to throw up. Edwards throws his best pass of the game to Royal for 20+ yards. Then Crennel calls a time out and jauron FREEZES. Instead of trying to pick up another first down (46 secs and a time out left) we stopped TRYING. Newsflash- even my wife realized we were at the 38 yard line, NOT THE 18 yard line, kicking into the wind on a cold <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Buffalo</st1:place></st1:City> night. BRUTAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Should Lindell have made the kick? Sure. But it shouldn’t have been a 47-yarder, if it were a 42 yarder the kick would’ve been good. I hate Jauron<o:p></o:p>
--- The honeymoon period for Turk is over.. You HAVE TO FIND a way to get Lee Evans the ball. It couldn’t be any more simple than that. Did we even ATTEMPT a pass to him? Houston, a lesser team than us (or maybe not) could have triple coverage on Andre Johnson every play, and even with a backup QB like Rosenfal, they will still find a way to get him the ball.<o:p></o:p>
--- I think Ko Simpson and Chris Kelsay are garbage, and I don’t think Ellison is much better.<o:p></o:p>
The sad part is there were so many more good things than bad. But in this league, you’re going to lose every time with horrible QB play and cowardice coaching, and that’s exactly what we got again.<o:p></o:p>
--- Marshawn Lynch made a name for himself nationally last night. We all know what he did already. Let’s leave it at that.<o:p></o:p>
n The OL gets an A+. There were holes to run through, and the pass blocking was impeccable. I seen Jason Peters drive Corey Williams 8-9 yards back at least a half dozen times. Dockery and <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Butler</st1:place></st1:City> were solid. <st1:City w:st="on">Walker</st1:City> played great, even Preston fared well (overall) against <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Rogers</st1:place></st1:City>.<o:p></o:p>
--- Marcus Stroud had his best game of the year. He was dominating. Kyle Williams was good.<o:p></o:p>
--- Hey, what do you know. Blitzing works. Aside from the stupid personal foul, Kawika Mitchell was a big factor again.<o:p></o:p>
--- Congrats Leodis McKelvin, you’ve arrived my man. His return speed and vision is downright scary and his kick returning almost won the game. He also played a GREAT game at corner in place of Greer. I thought he was the best player on the field last night besides Lynch and Stroud. Maybe this will kickstart his career.<o:p></o:p>
--- overall our special teams was great. We won the battle of field position all day long, aside from the bonehead kickoff by Lindell (who must be feeling awful right now)<o:p></o:p>
SUMMARY: This was as heartbreaking as it gets. Our season is pretty much over, an astonishing statement considering we were 5-1 a month ago. We can over or under analyze, but the bottom line is in the NFL, when you turn the ball over 13 times in 4 games, you’re not going to win. We went from having a MVP candidate at QB to a guy who has totally lost it. WE don’t even know if he’s the future anymore. And we have a bum coaching staff, led by a retread philosopher when its clear as day this team needs a guy who can light a fire under their asses. <o:p></o:p>
The only thing more depressing than the game was listening to the docile jauron and Edwards during the press conference. I’m losing faith in <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Trent</st1:place></st1:City> quickly, and I seriously despise Jauron. This team will never win if he’s the head coach. I don’t care how talented we are (or aren’t)<o:p></o:p>

Well said for the most part, I think Perry Fewell definitely had a great scheme last night and both Scott and McGee came to play in coverage.

As for the coaching, you would be stupid to have your QB throw at the end of that game. You're well within your kickers range (not that it was a chip shot), your have a vet kicker who has kicked game winners before, and you have a QB who made one great throw all night but has been pressing, sloppy and turnover prone. No way you put the ball in his hands imo. Running the ball there was the correct call.

Thurmal
11-18-2008, 09:56 AM
Well said for the most part, I think Perry Fewell definitely had a great scheme last night and both Scott and McGee came to play in coverage.

As for the coaching, you would be stupid to have your QB throw at the end of that game. You're well within your kickers range (not that it was a chip shot), your have a vet kicker who has kicked game winners before, and you have a QB who made one great throw all night but has been pressing, sloppy and turnover prone. No way you put the ball in his hands imo. Running the ball there was the correct call.

I'm sorry, but McGee got torched by B. Edwards all night and Jauron's move to run the clock out and kick a 47-yard field goal into the wind is easily one of the worst coaching moves I have ever seen. They had over a minute left with a timeout. It is completely indefensible.

DraftBoy
11-18-2008, 09:58 AM
I'm sorry, but McGee got torched by B. Edwards all night and Jauron's move to run the clock out and kick a 47-yard field goal into the wind is easily one of the worst coaching moves I have ever seen. They had over a minute left with a timeout. It is completely indefensible.

Edwards had McGee all over him most of the night. Edwards only had one official drop the rest were credit as pass breakups, I believe. Only twice did I see Edwards really gain seperation from McGee.

So your decision would of been to keep the ball in the hands of your turnover prone QB who has no confidence in himself or his WR's? You give your ball to your best player in thats situation and that was Lynch.

Thurmal
11-18-2008, 10:02 AM
Yeah, I would've let Edwards throw it.

His pass to Royal looked OK, and I could live with a INT there. At least it showed that they'll go down swinging. 40-yard kick, yeah run the ball. One that is damn near 50 yards? You've gotta try to get closer.

Typical loser play-calling from a loser coach with a loser mentality. Perfect for a team with a penchant for...losing.

gil
11-18-2008, 10:02 AM

I hear what you're saying - but they had just let Trent throw on the previous set of downs and he made a sweet throw - the line was giving him good protection - you couldn't have at least tried a play action or something with the express instructions that if there's nothing there, throw it away?

Dr. Lecter
11-18-2008, 10:25 AM

I can't agree with you on this.

There were occassional wind gusts, especially up high. It was cold and possibly slick. The FG was 47, on the outside limit of most kickers ranges. Another 5 yards is huge.

A few, short pass routes would have been proper. He had not been sacked and, as bad he was (Awful), he had not thrown a pick since the 1st quarter.

They needed on more first down.

BTW, almost worse than Trent's picks were his dump-offs to Lynch.

I know I saw hardy, Royal, Parrish and Evans open downfield more than once on a dump-off. Inexcusable on Trent's part.

And why Hardy did not play in the 2nd half, I don't understand. He was open more than once.

billsfanone
11-18-2008, 10:25 AM

Torched? Are you nuts?

NC-BILLS44
11-18-2008, 10:30 AM
Why oh why couldn't they have run a play-action pass to a tight end and get another first down instead of being content to try a long FG into the wind?????????????

tat2dmike77
11-18-2008, 10:32 AM
Why oh why couldn't they have run a play-action pass to a tight end and get another first down instead of being content to try a long FG into the wind?????????????

The way they were running the ball you would of thought to see more play action. BUT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO that would make sense we don't wanna do that. Even Jaws was asking why more play action was not being run by the Bills.

NC-BILLS44
11-18-2008, 10:35 AM
They shouldn't have settled for anything more than a 40 yard FG attempt in that situation.

Thurmal
11-18-2008, 10:36 AM
Torched? Are you nuts?
Hmmm...Edwards had 8 catches for over 100 yards and would've had more had he not dropped 4 or 5 passes. So, yeah, I would say McGee didn't have the greatest game in the world.

Forward_Lateral
11-18-2008, 10:38 AM
McGee got torched? He had 6 passes defended, a few of which would've been big gainers. :rofl: McGee got torched.

Thurmal
11-18-2008, 10:42 AM
McGee got torched? He had 6 passes defended, a few of which would've been big gainers. :rofl: McGee got torched.
Edwards worked him just like every other big receiver works him. Why do you think he had the opportunity to break up so many passes? They were throwing his way all night.

What is it with Terrence McGee that makes him immune to any criticism? Because he is a great kick returner?

DraftBoy
11-18-2008, 10:44 AM
I can't agree with you on this.

There were occassional wind gusts, especially up high. It was cold and possibly slick. The FG was 47, on the outside limit of most kickers ranges. Another 5 yards is huge.

A few, short pass routes would have been proper. He had not been sacked and, as bad he was (Awful), he had not thrown a pick since the 1st quarter.

They needed on more first down.

BTW, almost worse than Trent's picks were his dump-offs to Lynch.

I know I saw hardy, Royal, Parrish and Evans open downfield more than once on a dump-off. Inexcusable on Trent's part.

And why Hardy did not play in the 2nd half, I don't understand. He was open more than once.

I dont disagree with what you said but you make my argument for me. I dont know that he would of thrown to an open WR, even though they were clearly open. He was WAY to quick to go to a dump off and Cleveland had pretty much had those covered all night. Even when Lynch got in for a TD, they had 7 guys there.

DraftBoy
11-18-2008, 10:45 AM
Edwards worked him just like every other big receiver works him. Why do you think he had the opportunity to break up so many passes? They were throwing his way all night.

What is it with Terrence McGee that makes him immune to any criticism? Because he is a great kick returner?

Im one of the most critical people of McGee and his cover skills but he played great last night. Either you didnt watch the game or have some great disdain for McGee that you can't get over.

Forward_Lateral
11-18-2008, 10:46 AM

He's not immune to criticism, when he deserves it. He doesn't deserve it this week.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
11-18-2008, 10:47 AM

Wait......WAS a great kick returner. He doesn't even help us in that area any more, which is another bit of evidence that this staff does not have the stones to compete seriously over the course of a season or more.

Typ0
11-18-2008, 10:48 AM
I don't really agree with most of what you are saying except for the part on Edwards. He has absolutely sucked the last month...all of this coaching and team crap is drivel. The QB has sucked and we have lost. End of discussion. The part on Evans, get real. I'm sure not one play was called in his direction last night. BS. The QB has sucked and he's the one not getting LE the ball. The QB turns the ball over and the defense is screwed. In Miami our entire 4th Quarter possessions were TE turning the ball over. Yesterday he was a turnover machine. Clevelend is a horrible football team or we would have been finished in the first quarter. TE has sucked. There is no other blame to go around.

Forward_Lateral
11-18-2008, 10:49 AM
Wait......WAS a great kick returner. He doesn't even help us in that area any more, which is another bit of evidence that this staff does not have the stones to compete seriously over the course of a season or more.

Leodis is doing more than a fine job replacing McGee, so that point is moot.

Thurmal
11-18-2008, 10:51 AM
Maybe I'm just incredibly bitter about yet another debacle of a loss and being too hard on him, but it doesn't change the fact that if B. Edwards didn't have the worst hands in the league, he would have gone for 150 yards, easy. McGee did have some nice breakups, I'll give you that, but Greer/McKelvin/Corner did a MUCH better job against Stallworth.

DraftBoy
11-18-2008, 10:51 AM
I dont disagree with what you said but you make my argument for me. I dont know that he would of thrown to an open WR, even though they were clearly open. He was WAY to quick to go to a dump off and Cleveland had pretty much had those covered all night. Even when Lynch got in for a TD, they had 7 guys there.

Didnt finish my thought here. My point is this, at the end of the game you get the ball into the hands of your best player and thats Lynch. I can't fault for Jauron for putting the ball in the hands of his best player. I can fault him for a hell of a lot more than that but not for that at the end. That FG was makeable, Lindell is a vet, and there was no reason to force a bad QB to try and make another player. Jaws said it perfectly in the broad cast. You need your QB to make one throw that drive to get you in a position to win that game. Edwards did that on his rope to Royal. Asking him to do it again may have been too much and may have cost us any chance at even taking a shot to win the game.