PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' tight end excited to return for 14th season

PA Season Ticket Holder
05-04-2003, 05:12 PM
DENVER -- Denver Broncos tight end Shannon Sharpe said he will return this season, The Denver Post reported Sunday.

Sharpe had said he was considering retiring after an illustrious 13-year NFL career, but decided last week while laying out his workout clothes to return.

"I started becoming like a kid going to school for the first time,'' Sharpe said.

"I laid all the stuff out, got all my gear ready for the next day. And at that point, it really dawned on me that I want to play. I know in my heart of hearts, this is the right decision for me. I know I've got a big season left in me.''

Sharpe is the NFL's all-time leader among tight ends in receptions (753) and yards receiving (9,290). Other than tiring of the long lectures during practice, Sharpe said he's in great shape.

He was on the Broncos' Super Bowl championship teams in 1997 and 1998.

When undecided about retirement, Sharpe made commitments that won't allow him to attend a three-day minicamp scheduled to start Friday. He said coach Mike Shanahan has been supportive.

"He hasn't put any undue pressure on me,'' Sharpe said. "He said, `Hey, take your time and enjoy your time away from it and let us know when you're ready.' And I appreciate that, and I'm ready.''

Sharpe plans to be in Denver in June when the Broncos hold a weeklong minicamp, where he will meet newly acquired quarterback Jake Plummer for the first time.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2003/0504/1549163.html