• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PA Season Ticket Holder
    You mess up my night, and I'll mess up your day
    • Jul 2002

Horn's no-show puts more distance in talks

The New Orleans Saints wrapped up a weekend mini-camp Sunday with no sign of star wide receiver Joe Horn.

Horn

And with negotiations toward a contract extension once again stalled, there's really no idea of when they might see him back on the practice field.

Only last month, following two days of meetings between agent Ralph Vitolo and Saints officials, it appeared a new deal was imminent. But the team has finished the first of its offseason training sessions, is planning a second mini-camp in June, and the optimism that accompanied last month's contract discussions has faded.

"I would say it's fair to conclude we've taken a step backwards on the thing," said Vitolo, who said he broke off negotiations with general manager Mickey Loomis last Wednesday and hasn't heard from New Orleans officials since then. "Obviously, (Horn) wasn't at the mini-camp and he won't be at the next one, either, until the issue is resolved."

The boycott is similar to one staged by Horn last spring, when he began lamenting that he has outplayed his contract, but could grow nastier than the 2002 disagreement.

Vitolo, who has exchanged a variety of proposal designs with Loomis, probably will fly to New Orleans this week in an attempt to keep the acrimony to a minimum while also maximizing his client's earning power. But the Saints have several sticking points -- the fact Horn still has two years left on his existing contract, and that he is 31 years old, chief among them -- and there clearly are roadblocks to be navigated.

The Saints wrapped up a weekend mini-camp Sunday with no sign of star wide receiver Joe Horn.

BUFFALO BILLS AND MLB POOLS

http://www.billszone.com/YourSite/global/nfl/pool.php?action=home
Working...
X