• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Don't Panic
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Dec 2005

An Honest Assessment

So we're 5-5. Given the hot start, people are obviously miffed, but to be honest, the best I could see this team being at this point is 7-3 and realistically 6-4. Thinking we are in the upper echelon is simply hoping for progress too quickly. Look at our team unit by unit:

QB - TE has less than 20 career starts and has a rookie OC calling his plays. There has to be a learning curve to be taken into consideration. Calling for his head is being overly judgmental IMO.

RB/WR - Lynch is a beast, Jackson is a very solid back-up, Evans is great if he has a QB who can get him the ball (ie - won't make his own plays), and the rest of the guys are mediocre at best. We need a better TE corp, Hardy to develop, and more balance in play calling. Until then, I'm not surprised that this crew struggles to put points up consistently.

O Line - These guys are slightly above average on their best days, well below it on their worst. And therein lies the problem... if I have learned anything in following this sport for almost 30 years, it is that you can't be consistently successful without a solid O Line. We have some pressing decisions to make at just about every position on the line if we truly want to compete with the best next year.

D Line - Can't run a Cover 2 without a strong pass rush from the front 4. Period.

LB - See above.

DB - See above... although I will say that this unit is one of our strongest. Aside from Simpson/Scott, we are very strong at every position.

So there you have it. My 2 cents, for what its worth. When you see the team for what it really is - good in some areas, average to below average in most others - it isn't too surprising that we are at .500. In fact, if that FG in the last minute goes through the uprights last night, I'd say we're right where we belong (still on the outside looking in by the way). One more year... one more.
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Re: An Honest Assessment

Originally posted by Carpetbagger
    So we're 5-5. Given the hot start, people are obviously miffed, but to be honest, the best I could see this team being at this point is 7-3 and realistically 6-4. Thinking we are in the upper echelon is simply hoping for progress too quickly. Look at our team unit by unit:

QB - TE has less than 20 career starts and has a rookie OC calling his plays. There has to be a learning curve to be taken into consideration. Calling for his head is being overly judgmental IMO.

RB/WR - Lynch is a beast, Jackson is a very solid back-up, Evans is great if he has a QB who can get him the ball (ie - won't make his own plays), and the rest of the guys are mediocre at best. We need a better TE corp, Hardy to develop, and more balance in play calling. Until then, I'm not surprised that this crew struggles to put points up consistently.

O Line - These guys are slightly above average on their best days, well below it on their worst. And therein lies the problem... if I have learned anything in following this sport for almost 30 years, it is that you can't be consistently successful without a solid O Line. We have some pressing decisions to make at just about every position on the line if we truly want to compete with the best next year.

D Line - Can't run a Cover 2 without a strong pass rush from the front 4. Period.

LB - See above.

DB - See above... although I will say that this unit is one of our strongest. Aside from Simpson/Scott, we are very strong at every position.

So there you have it. My 2 cents, for what its worth. When you see the team for what it really is - good in some areas, average to below average in most others - it isn't too surprising that we are at .500. In fact, if that FG in the last minute goes through the uprights last night, I'd say we're right where we belong (still on the outside looking in by the way). One more year... one more.
    A very level headed, sound opinion.

The OL was FAR from the problem last night. At one point they gave Trent 4.1 seconds to throw the ball, the commentators clocked it. He did not get sacked once and Lynch had 100+ on the ground. No, the OL is not the major issue.

That said, they have problems. Folwer and Preston are likely gone. I think C is a major priority.

I would get the best damn pass rusher out there, Julius Peppers would be nice. And add a stud OLB to put Ellison back where he belongs... maybe we could get both in Terrell Suggs.

Id add a big FS 6' or better who can play the run but has the speed to cover as well, a guy Like William Moore would be great. But guys like Greene fit the Bill as well.

Id add a down the field threat at TE, Gresham would be great.

At C, I want a big guy with alot of ability. Alex Mack or Antoine Caldwell would be good, Shipley would aslo fit.

And Hardy hasnt done anything worthy of being a #2, if a guy like Kenny Britt or Heyward Bey is available, get him.

Add in a pass rushing DT and we could finally have made significant upgrades.

Comment

• jamze132
      • Jun 2003

I agree. It just sucks to say " but what if?".

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
        Defies all logic
        • Oct 2006

Edwards is the real deal, build around him, there is no doubt in my mind.

Comment

• Night Train
          Retired - On Several Levels
          • Jul 2005

I would like to believe in Edwards but we need to be smart during this next off-season and bring in a seasoned backup (or 2) just in case. We know Losman is history.

Prior to the concussion, he was going thru long stretches of inconsistent play. (the Raiders game stands out to me) He then returns with a good game vs. San Diego and hasn't been effective since. He does not get a free pass, at this juncture.

In addition, both lines and the D Scheme need major tweeking or it's more of the same.
          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Don't Panic
            All-Pro Zoner
            • Dec 2005

The O Line did play their butts off on Monday, I definitely should have mentioned that. Rogers did his damage on the inside, but the time TE had and the holes that were opened up for the run game were tremendous. If they played like that week in week out, we wouldn't have a problem. On that note... we scored 20 points on offense in a game where there were three 1st quarter picks. If we could do that every week (our line that is), and get the occasional special teams TD, we'd be leading the division.

As for a backup, it has to be a vet. Whether its a Collins-type or a Warner-type I leave to the FO, but it should be a guy who has seen his share of field time (with success), is willing to teach, and will be ready on a moment's notice to manage a game.

Comment

• Historian
              2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
              • Dec 2002

I like your anaysis.

Now please do the same for the fish.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                short bus extraordinaire
                • Jul 2002

everybody on this team, with the exception of Moorman, has stunk. that includes the coaches too. that's my honest assessment.
                Originally posted by yordad
                Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

Working...
                X