PDA

View Full Version : Will we resign Jabari Greer?

Oaf
11-19-2008, 12:47 AM
And why?
Note the question isn't should Greer get a new contract, it's will the FO give him one.

Will we bank on the pedigree of the players behind him and deem him as not a "fit" in Buffalo and let him go? Will we conclude he's not starting material and that there is no place for him as a backup? Will we need to choose b/w him and Youboty?

Or will we realize what's he's done for this team over the years and even for the community and finally recognize his efforts with a new contract?

If his injury keeps him out for awhile, how does that affect things?

I say we keep the top 5 we have now. We'll not have to add anyone again, we'll have great depth, and we can switch them in and out based on the situation. Greer is also one of my favorite players and it would literally offend me as a fan if the FO doesn't resign him.

X-Era
11-19-2008, 06:16 AM
And why?
Note the question isn't should Greer get a new contract, it's will the FO give him one.

Will we bank on the pedigree of the players behind him and deem him as not a "fit" in Buffalo and let him go? Will we conclude he's not starting material and that there is no place for him as a backup? Will we need to choose b/w him and Youboty?

Or will we realize what's he's done for this team over the years and even for the community and finally recognize his efforts with a new contract?

If his injury keeps him out for awhile, how does that affect things?

I say we keep the top 5 we have now. We'll not have to add anyone again, we'll have great depth, and we can switch them in and out based on the situation. Greer is also one of my favorite players and it would literally offend me as a fan if the FO doesn't resign him.

I said yes, I dont think we will though.

Hes our best CB right now. But you dont bring in McLovin and then turn around and fill up his spot for many more years to come.

mybills
11-19-2008, 07:09 AM
He's our best CB right now? :gag:

mybills
11-19-2008, 07:11 AM
Yes, they'll give him one because he's the second best CB on the team.

The Jokeman
11-19-2008, 07:26 AM
No, because we actually have depth at CB with guys like McGee, McKelvin, Corner, Yobouty and Dustin Fox on the practice squad. Not to mention Whitner can be shifted to CB in a pinch. Though the most telling reason is it's never been this team's MO to re-sign CB as they seem to think their easily replaceable. So I fully expect us to let him sign elsewhere and we might end up drafting a guy in Rounds 4-7 to compete for the nickel/dime spot with McGee and McKelvin shoring up our starting spots in 2009.

OpIv37
11-19-2008, 07:36 AM
This will be just another case of the Bills being the farm system for the rest of the NFL. Greer will go somewhere else to get paid and probably do very well there.

DraftBoy
11-19-2008, 07:39 AM
He'll get a big offer from another team and go.

bigbub2352
11-19-2008, 10:23 AM
We never sign the right people, so i say no he will walk, and we will take yet another CB in the 1st rd

gr8slayer
11-19-2008, 10:44 AM
Probably not, he's the the best CB on the team. Why would they?

Philagape
11-19-2008, 10:45 AM
I really hope so.

Oaf
12-16-2008, 02:40 AM
Update as per CB:
http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2008/12/15/deal-for-giants-cb-could-be-right-for-greer/

If Greer can command those kind of numbers, it's not looking good, especially with McKelvin and even Youboty in the wings. What's McGee's contract status?

Again, I still maintain, if we're gonna spend a bit extra, it should be here. Lock these 4 corners for awhile and forget about the CB position for a few years while you address safety.

Night Train
12-16-2008, 04:16 AM
Depth at CB probably means Greer will be gone. We have too many other needs.

X-Era
12-16-2008, 05:58 AM
Update as per CB:
http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2008/12/15/deal-for-giants-cb-could-be-right-for-greer/

If Greer can command those kind of numbers, it's not looking good, especially with McKelvin and even Youboty in the wings. What's McGee's contract status?

Again, I still maintain, if we're gonna spend a bit extra, it should be here. Lock these 4 corners for awhile and forget about the CB position for a few years while you address safety.
I think Youbouty is a FA as well:

KFFL says he becomes a FA in 2010, so yes, we would get another year of him in that case.

The downside of this thought is: what if it takes McLovin several years to get it like I did with Youbouty

don137
12-16-2008, 06:48 AM
Most organizations would resign him to an extension but this is not most organizations. The Bills do have depth so I do not see it happening due to the Bills pay cash to cap so in their eyes they have limited amount of cap space where in reality they have millions.

ddaryl
12-16-2008, 07:38 AM
I don't see Greer being a problem to resign nor do I see him costing to much to not resign...

although I agree that with this organization dumber things have happened

madness
12-16-2008, 01:30 PM
He's our best CB right now? :gag:

Yes he is.... at blanketing #2 WR's. :up:

Michael82
12-16-2008, 02:58 PM
Yeah, they will tag him and give him a Nate Clements type franchise tag agreement.

jimbohastle51
12-16-2008, 05:01 PM
no way, mckelvin has showed flashes and corner as well, we will get a draft pick and a lower budget free agent our front office isnt giving him 5-7 million a year guaranteed when mckelvin was the 11th pick overall this past year and has looked good and has the same amount of picks

Ed
12-16-2008, 05:14 PM
I voted yes, but then I read Chris Brown's blog and he makes it sound like he's already gone. I didn't expect Greer would command that much, but I hope we re-sign him. At this point I think he has more upside then McGee. As much as I like McGee, I think I'd rather re-sign Greer and let McGee walk when his contract is up. I think he's a FA after 2010. I'd like to see us re-sign Youboty too and keep him in the slot. I know it's totally unrealistic to think we can re-sign Greer, Youboty, and McGee all in the next two years while still having McKelvin. I think they are all too talented to expect anyone of them to except a role as a 4th corner.