PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Sullivan: Bills’ play an extension of their coach

shelby
11-20-2008, 05:49 AM
Dick Jauron’s pronouncements have become as predictable as his schemes. But after more than three weeks, I figured it was worth a try. Once more, Dick, can you say anything about the contract extension?
Jauron on Wednesday: “The only thing I can say is, as you well know, we don’t discuss those matters here.”
Fine. If the Bills insist on being coy, if they refuse to give a simple “yes” or “no” on their head coach’s rumored new deal, then so be it. As far as I’m concerned, there is no contract extension.
If there’s a new deal, why haven’t they made it public? The Bills were riding high when reports of an extension broke before the Miami game. Why not announce the happy news? The only conclusion one can draw is it was a verbal agreement that Jauron never signed.
All this evasion only invites speculation. Is there a clause in the deal that requires Jauron to make the playoffs, or get them to at least .500 this season?
Ralph Wilson won’t comment. But if a contract is on his desk, awaiting Jauron’s signature, he should hide the pen.
Jauron is a lame duck, Gregg Williams without perfect hair. Until a press release crosses my desk, telling me otherwise, he is coaching for his job.
If the Bills continue their slide and fail to finish at least 8-8, that’ll mean Jauron has been under .500 all three years here. Even he admitted it was a critical year. Is it possible to string together three 7-9 seasons and get a three-year extension? What sort of standard is that?

more... (http://www.buffalonews.com/opinion/columns/jerrysullivan/story/499422.html)

patmoran2006
11-20-2008, 06:57 AM
Great read, and so, so true.. Three 7-9 seasons gets you a CONTRACT EXTENSION?? Only in bflo.

I love this line..
Ralph Wilson won’t comment. But if a contract is on his desk, awaiting Jauron’s signature, he should hide the pen.

billogic99
11-20-2008, 07:59 AM
I said it when he signed the extension and the Bills were 5-1, it was a mistake. I think th Bills needed to wait till the end of the season. There will be some guy's avalible that are better for the job, JMO.

djjimkelly
11-20-2008, 08:22 AM
I said it when he signed the extension and the Bills were 5-1, it was a mistake. I think th Bills needed to wait till the end of the season. There will be some guy's avalible that are better for the job, JMO.

so did i i said it was one of the darkest days in bills history

we can all pray jerry's assumption is right

OpIv37
11-20-2008, 08:26 AM
It's about time someone in the media called out Jauron.

They always talk about how he's such a great coach, but the results don't match the rhetoric. I know, the players love to play for him. But that doesn't make him a good coach. I've had managers who were great to work under because they gave everyone a lot of leeway, but in the end some of them turned out to be terrible because they weren't making sure that things got done. It's the exact same thing here.

Forward_Lateral
11-20-2008, 08:33 AM
He says 7-9 is a bad standard, but so is 8-8, IMO. If the Bills don't get at least 9 wins, Jauron should be ****-canned.

THATHURMANATOR
11-20-2008, 08:57 AM
He says 7-9 is a bad standard, but so is 8-8, IMO. If the Bills don't get at least 9 wins, Jauron should be ****-canned.
Especially after starting 5-1.

gr8slayer
11-20-2008, 09:17 AM
It's an extension of the owner, when your owner has a losers mentality the entire team will.

gr8slayer
11-20-2008, 09:18 AM
It's about time someone in the media called out Jauron.

They always talk about how he's such a great coach, but the results don't match the rhetoric. I know, the players love to play for him. But that doesn't make him a good coach. I've had managers who were great to work under because they gave everyone a lot of leeway, but in the end some of them turned out to be terrible because they weren't making sure that things got done. It's the exact same thing here.
Why would they call him out? First, no one cares about what happens in Buffalo. Second, the more the Bills lose the easier it will be to move the team, and don't fool yourself, most of the owners would love to see the Bills move to L.A.

bigbub2352
11-20-2008, 09:21 AM
Been saying it since the day we hired skeletor and just wrote a thread about the promotions form within when u have a losing franchise

Cant understand why we are so satisfied with mediocracry

DJ and his staff are a joke and have been since the day we signed him

joke joke joke

OpIv37
11-20-2008, 09:21 AM
It's an extension of the owner, when your owner has a losers mentality the entire team will.

I don't think Ralph has a loser's mentality.

I think he has a bottom line mentality. If he could win without cutting into his profit margins, he'd do it without thinking twice.

But the reality is that he'd have to spend too much of his own money to bring in the kinds of players and coaches that win football games. And as long as the team is profitable while losing, why bother?

People act in their own self interest, and Ralph's interest is money. The only way the Bills will win under Ralph is if we could somehow align winning with making money. And we really can't do that, because if we stop buying merch and tix until the team starts winning, he'll just move it to Toronto.

Historian
11-20-2008, 09:23 AM

7-9 is a winning season in Buffalo.

Remember 1970 and 71? 1976 and 77? 84 and 85? 2001?

Back to back to back 7-9 seasons?

Ralph probably figures he's due another ticket price increase.

:rolleyes:

justasportsfan
11-20-2008, 09:25 AM
my problem with Dick is that he's clueless offensively. He's only had 1 season where his O was in the top ten. The rest of the time his O's were at the bottom of the league. Bill Bellichick is able to pull out OC's from his ass and still end up in the top of the league. As a matter of fact, Dick the defensive guru got his ass handed to him by Mangini, a coach that BB pulled out from his ass.

trapezeus
11-20-2008, 11:12 AM
i wouldn't mind having a coach where the players hate playing for him, but consistenly win as opposed to loving the coach but losing consistently.

PECKERWOOD
11-20-2008, 11:17 AM
i wouldn't mind having a coach where the players hate playing for him, but consistenly win as opposed to loving the coach but losing consistently.

Being liked and respected are two different things. I think players respect a coach more that leads them to victory.

cocamide
11-20-2008, 11:34 AM
Maybe the new contract is contingent upon him making the playoffs this year.

shelby
11-20-2008, 11:48 AM
:scratch: Very valid point, cocamide.....

Nighthawk
11-20-2008, 12:35 PM
I've been saying that there has to be a reason they haven't announced it and have said it may be because there is a clause in it. Listen, if the Bills continue to suck balls the rest of the year, at least we will have something to look forward...DICKEY GETTING CANNED!!!