PDA

View Full Version : Bobby April for Interim Head Coach

Pride
11-20-2008, 09:36 AM
Hypothetically speaking, let's say DJ gets fired after the Bills lose to the Chiefs this week in Arrowhead.

Bobby A would be the logical successor to finish out the season.

What changes do you think we would immediately see from the coaching change?

PECKERWOOD
11-20-2008, 09:40 AM
I don't like the idea of canning DJ mid-way through the season, we're still 5-5. Plus, if we made Bobby the interim HC, something tells me that his chances would be shot for the fulltime HC position next year and I'm one of those who think Bobby April should be considered for the job.

OpIv37
11-20-2008, 09:42 AM
for starters, we'd run the ball more. No more spread formations on 3rd and short. Honestly, until the Lynch touchdown, did ANYTHING good ever come from the 5-wide formation for this team? No more screwing around with the gimmicky Wildcat formation. More Marshawn Lynch, less Robert Royal.

On D, more blitzes, less cushion on the WR's (but to be fair, the D was better in both those aspects against Cleveland). More discipline- less overpursuit and biting on play fakes (that Harrison run ****ing killed me).

In general, more guts and attitude. On S/T, April isn't afraid to take risks. Yeah, he gets burned from time to time, but some of those risks have paid off and allowed us to put games out of reach. I doubt April would have ran those 3 straight running plays against Cleveland at the end of the game. That was completely spineless.

trapezeus
11-20-2008, 09:45 AM
but Bobby april has been making some questionable calls as well. this game he decided to run the pop up after the TD return even though the other team was passed out from exhaustion.

I get the sense that bobby april is a ST stud, i don't think he's goign to make the team any better on offense or defense.

JJamezz
11-20-2008, 09:54 AM
I think he's our best *realistic* option, assuming Dick getting axed at the end of the season is even realistic.. I guess that depends on how the season finishes up.

I wanted April as HC last time around, so I'm still for it.

I'd be more for getting Cowher in here and giving him whatever the hell he wants. Wouldn't you think after 90 years, Ralph would just be like, 'I'm just too old for this s**t, lets do it right this time..' You can't take it with you Ralphie boy..

jdbillsfan
11-20-2008, 09:56 AM
The discipline on this team is a joke. I am not sure how many times I have watched Denney or Kelsay blindly chase the RB, while the QB is running a bootleg right where they were supposed to be.

Or Whitner/Ko taking bad angles or over pursuing. This team is constantly overpursing.... so annoying.

OpIv37
11-20-2008, 09:56 AM
but Bobby april has been making some questionable calls as well. this game he decided to run the pop up after the TD return even though the other team was passed out from exhaustion.

I get the sense that bobby april is a ST stud, i don't think he's goign to make the team any better on offense or defense.

It was one bad decision. Look at what he's accomplished compared to what the rest of our coaching staff has accomplished.

OpIv37
11-20-2008, 09:57 AM
I'd be more for getting Cowher in here and giving him whatever the hell he wants. Wouldn't you think after 90 years, Ralph would just be like, 'I'm just too old for this s**t, lets do it right this time..' You can't take it with you Ralphie boy..

That would be great.

It's less likely than simultaneously winning the lottery, getting struck by lightning and contracting the bubonic plague though.

DraftBoy
11-20-2008, 10:01 AM
What makes people so confident in April as a HC? Yes he is an amazing ST coach but there have been multiple amazing OC, or DC's who have failed miserably as HC's. What makes April so much different, other than he coaches a much smaller number of players and has to worry about even less plays.

OpIv37
11-20-2008, 10:03 AM
What makes people so confident in April as a HC? Yes he is an amazing ST coach but there have been multiple amazing OC, or DC's who have failed miserably as HC's. What makes April so much different, other than he coaches a much smaller number of players and has to worry about even less plays.

the fact that we know Ralph won't pay for an experienced HC with a winning record. Given that limitation, who better than April? He knows our players, he knows our systems. And unlike the rest of the current coaches, he has the testicular fortitude to gamble.

DraftBoy
11-20-2008, 10:04 AM
the fact that we know Ralph won't pay for an experienced HC with a winning record. Given that limitation, who better than April? He knows our players, he knows our systems. And unlike the rest of the current coaches, he has the testicular fortitude to gamble.

Ill take Lane Kiffin over April. He actually coached well in Oakland but got screwed by Al Davis. Ill take a number of college coaches like Ferentz, Tenuta, hell Id even give Gill a call too.

Pride
11-20-2008, 10:06 AM
I think the attraction to April are some of the following:

1. He uses the talent given to him in the best possible way.
2. He gets the most out of the players he does have.
3. He's innovative and thinks outside of the box.
4. He always seems to be prepared for whatever could happen next.
5. He is the most successful coach (at any position) since Levy retired
6. He is currently assistant head coach, so it means we don't necessarily need to flush the system like we would if a new HC was hired. I, for one, would like to see Turk stay next year, and see the Cover 2 D go with DJ and Fewell.
7. He isn't afraid to step on the opponents throat to put a game away.
8. His players obviously respect the hell out of him. They play harder than any other group on the field.
9. He is a motivator (see #8)

I am sure there are other reasons... but those are a few.

Pride
11-20-2008, 10:07 AM
#10. HE'S ANIMATED ON THE SIDELINE!

justasportsfan
11-20-2008, 10:23 AM
How many ST coaches made successful tansitions to being great HC's ? :idunno:

PECKERWOOD
11-20-2008, 10:33 AM
How many ST coaches made successful tansitions to being great HC's ? :idunno:

Marv Levy and Bill Cowher off the top of my head.

Marvelous
11-20-2008, 10:43 AM
Marv was a ST coach.....

-Can DJ? BAH!

--Man i feel so stupid for resigning him...For the record i was thee BIGGEST DJ supporter until the Dolphin game this year...

--Why the shotgun on 3rd +1 etc? Does he have no balls to step to Turk>?
---The playcalling is absurd. On Defense i understand we have to blitz like that to get pressure.But no excuses for the BIsmal as Mandach would say, Bismal play calling...

-Guys we need a really good/smart O-coord...IMO Dicks not the problem indirectly. But he is in charge of the coords....Remember Wade Phillips>? Fired because he wouldnt fire his staff, so The Ralph canned his arse....

trapezeus
11-20-2008, 10:47 AM
It was one bad decision. Look at what he's accomplished compared to what the rest of our coaching staff has accomplished.

we also allowed an onside kick to be recovered last year in the dallas game, we had one recovered in the jacksonville game this year. Of course, he isn't perfect. But just because jauron is so bad at his job, i don't want someone who is comparatively better to be automatically considered for the gig.

Marvelous
11-20-2008, 10:55 AM
, i don't want someone who is comparatively better to be automatically considered for the gig.
huh? You don't want someone because they're better? Or if they are better when compaired?err Compairatively? :lol: that's a funny word bro..

PECKERWOOD
11-20-2008, 11:04 AM
huh? You don't want someone because they're better? Or if they are better when compaired?err Compairatively? :lol: that's a funny word bro..

I think what he means is that he doesn't want a coach here who doesn't proceed his reputation.

DraftBoy
11-20-2008, 11:09 AM
I think the attraction to April are some of the following:

1. He uses the talent given to him in the best possible way.
2. He gets the most out of the players he does have.
3. He's innovative and thinks outside of the box.
4. He always seems to be prepared for whatever could happen next.
5. He is the most successful coach (at any position) since Levy retired
6. He is currently assistant head coach, so it means we don't necessarily need to flush the system like we would if a new HC was hired. I, for one, would like to see Turk stay next year, and see the Cover 2 D go with DJ and Fewell.
7. He isn't afraid to step on the opponents throat to put a game away.
8. His players obviously respect the hell out of him. They play harder than any other group on the field.
9. He is a motivator (see #8)

I am sure there are other reasons... but those are a few.

1. :check:
2. He only coaches 11 or so guys really, and only 3 specifically. Thats big change from 11 to 53.
3. Examples?
4. :check:
5. :check:
6. :check: except for Turk, no reason for him to stay
7. :check:
8. You have examples of this?
9. :check:

trapezeus
11-20-2008, 11:10 AM
essentially, just because april is better than DJ, that doesn't mean he is a good coach overall when compared to other coaching talent. Let's not get super excited about a guy who is head and shoulders above a very weak coaching staff. Lets see how bobby april stacks up to the outside HC talent.

It seems like after wade, we just tried to get coaches who were better than the next guy. but those guys were soooo bad, we still ended up with weak coaches. No doubt jauron has been better than mularkey. but he's still not a good coach.

DraftBoy
11-20-2008, 11:11 AM
#10. HE'S ANIMATED ON THE SIDELINE!
And that makes dick for difference when it comes to winning and losing. He can yell, scream, and even throw a fit on the sidelines. I dont care.

All I care about is winning.