PDA

View Full Version : It'll be nice the Bills make playoff this year

ghz in pittsburgh
11-20-2008, 01:41 PM
The reason: I don't think our defense is good enough.

It's sad but true. Coming into this season, most people, me included, figured the Bills should have a steady, playoff caliber defense. I no longer believe that now. The supposed strength, our secondary, now becomes a liability with all the injuries. The linebackers are a little below average the whole year. The D-Line, while the tackles are better with Stroud and the improvement of Williams, the ends are just not good at all, particularly now Schobel has been out.

I become more appreciative about the importance of linebackers. The Steelers, despite all the injuries and subpar performance of big Ben this year, brings probably the best linebacker corp in the league that pushing them into #1 defense. The Pats, the Dolphins, and even the Jets have good linebacker performance. Conversely the Chargers, after Merriman is out, cannot really stopping anyone even they have a good D-Line and strong secondary.

Unfortunately for the Bills, they may have to wait another year to address the linebacker position. Defense wins championship and defense makes playoff, too. I think they need to put more emphasis on that this off season.

For now, I'd be content to play McKelvin and Corner. I think both of them can be quality NFL players. Maybe get Ellis in there a bit, too.

On offense, this will be a figuring out year for Trent. Forget about Losman. You know defense attack your weakness. With Losman, teams blitzed while covering up Lee; which means they think Losman is a weakness. With Trent, teams now use 8, sometimes 9 in coverage; which means they think our receiving targets are a weakness.

Trent is finding out now that accuracy has degrees. He is considered one with good accuracy, but he needs to throw with much more accuracy if he wants to be ranked with the elites. He needs to study his receivers as much as he studies the defense so that he has the confidence of what they will do in different situations. Despite what he said to the media, I think his confidence is shaking. We have 6 more games to see if he can climb out of it. If he does, he'll be that much better in 2010. If he does not, the search continues ...

raphael120
11-20-2008, 01:52 PM
I want to see all our rookies out on the field. This season is pretty much done, might as well get our future "playmakers" some in game experience.

I want to punch myself in the nuts when I see how Stevie Johnson...a 7th rounder...is leapfrogging Hardy on the depth chart. WTF is wrong with our high draft picks?!

ghz in pittsburgh
11-20-2008, 02:07 PM
Johnson seems to have a knack to find the soft zone, much like Reed does. Jauron praised him in his press that he did other things well as well: right route, blocking the right people, etc. So he deserves more playing time.

Hardy may be open a couple of times and Trent failed to get him the ball. But if you read the defense differently from your QB a few times, it's easy for your QB to lose confidence in you, hence less chance of throwing you the ball. Remeber Trent is only in his second year, too.

In a way, this is a big time learning experience for the skilled position players. When you face a defense showing you thing you haven't prepared in practice, for the young players, it may mean you have never seen it before. The QB and the receivers need to be on the same page. Lee and Trent may be for most of the time, but the defense knows that and they take Lee out. So now it is down to Hardy, Johnson, or Fine out there who may not have that much rapport with Trent to begin with. No wonder you don't see too many balls delivered before the receiver made a cut, which is essential against 8 men coverage.