• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BuffaloRanger
    WORK HARD. PLAY HARD. LIVE HARD.
    • Mar 2003

Turk's Idiotic Excuse

From Buffalo News:

Here was the explanation of offensive coordinator Turk Schonert on why the Bills ran three straight times instead of trying a pass before Rian Lindell’s missed 47-yard field goal try.

“We had just ran for 180 yards on them,” Schonert said. “They were tired. We thought we could pop one. The very first one had a chance on a cutback to go a long way. We bounced it outside. That one could have hit the end zone if we cut it back. We were running the ball well.

“We wanted them to use their timeouts. They had a lot of time left and all three timeouts. The guy just made a 56-yard field goal, so it’s not that they have to go a long ways to kick a field goal. We got in field goal range to win the game. Unfortunately we didn’t get the kick.”

Does everyone see the flawed logic here?

If Turk was so worried about giving the ball back to the Browns with timeouts left they could have made one more first down, ran the ball a few more times for "positioning"and took the clock down to just a few ticks left.

On 2nd and 3rd down the Browns had 9 guys in the box. It would have been the perfect time for a play action pass. But the Bills just smashed it into the wall.

Turk has a kicker that hadn't missed from inside the 40 in 2 years, but his priority was trying to get the Browns to use their timeouts???

Even if Lindell would have made the kick, does anyone doubt that with that much time left the Bills would have found a way to lose?!

I have completely lost faith in Turk. He fell in love with the offense he installed in the preseason. Teams have adjusted to it. But he refuses to change things up. Adding the wildcat is a bad joke. Why doesn't he roll Trent out more - like the Browns did successfully. Play action passes anyone??

The Browns had one of the worst pass defense's in the NFL. But apparently on MNF their zone was impossible to exploit. How did Turk not have plays installed to beat this zone? Why didn't he just review what the Broncos did to them the week before?
    Buffalo Only and Always.
  • Historian
    2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
    • Dec 2002

Re: Turk's Idiotic Excuse

To be honest, the way Edwards is playing, I doubt I would have thrown either.

Maybe another screen, but that would be about it.

He played the percentages, and still lost.

Comment

• X-Era
      What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by BuffaloRanger
      From Buffalo News:

Here was the explanation of offensive coordinator Turk Schonert on why the Bills ran three straight times instead of trying a pass before Rian Lindell’s missed 47-yard field goal try.

“We had just ran for 180 yards on them,” Schonert said. “They were tired. We thought we could pop one. The very first one had a chance on a cutback to go a long way. We bounced it outside. That one could have hit the end zone if we cut it back. We were running the ball well.

“We wanted them to use their timeouts. They had a lot of time left and all three timeouts. The guy just made a 56-yard field goal, so it’s not that they have to go a long ways to kick a field goal. We got in field goal range to win the game. Unfortunately we didn’t get the kick.”

Does everyone see the flawed logic here?

If Turk was so worried about giving the ball back to the Browns with timeouts left they could have made one more first down, ran the ball a few more times for "positioning"and took the clock down to just a few ticks left.

On 2nd and 3rd down the Browns had 9 guys in the box. It would have been the perfect time for a play action pass. But the Bills just smashed it into the wall.

Turk has a kicker that hadn't missed from inside the 40 in 2 years, but his priority was trying to get the Browns to use their timeouts???

Even if Lindell would have made the kick, does anyone doubt that with that much time left the Bills would have found a way to lose?!

I have completely lost faith in Turk. He fell in love with the offense he installed in the preseason. Teams have adjusted to it. But he refuses to change things up. Adding the wildcat is a bad joke. Why doesn't he roll Trent out more - like the Browns did successfully. Play action passes anyone??

The Browns had one of the worst pass defense's in the NFL. But apparently on MNF their zone was impossible to exploit. How did Turk not have plays installed to beat this zone? Why didn't he just review what the Broncos did to them the week before?
      You point out the EXACT comment I made after that game. It was something like 2:30 minutes left and they were on like th 1 yard line. Why not kneel? At least once? That should be the game finishing drive.

Comment

• don137
        • Jul 2002

I am sick of lame duck play calling by our OC position. Turk said he was going to be different than Fairchild and other predecessors. Sorry, but Turk's play calling the last few weeks has shown he is no better then the rest.
        It all comes from the top. Ralph will not pay for top coaches and you get what you pay for. Thus, the Bills will never have a great coaching staff with RW owning the team.

Comment

• Typ0
          honey pie
          • Jul 2002

it was the right call. The running game had been successful all game and we have a money kicker. You don't turn around and do the things you aren't doing well in that situation.

Comment

• Dozerdog
            In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
            • Jul 2002

It was a terrible call.

I'll buy the logic for the run on 1st down. But two more is just playing scared.

Even a swing pass like they had done all night long.

Comment

• trapezeus
              Legendary Zoner
              • Oct 2004

i agree i get the logic. the 180 yards had gone up, but that was time for the bootleg that they used earlier in the year to put the lights out punch.

in turks defense, he's got a QB who is dumping down quickly. I'm sure turk didn't call in 41 dump offs. and i get teh sense he isn't throwing his QB under the bus.

Comment

• madness
                • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Typ0
                it was the right call. The running game had been successful all game and we have a money kicker. You don't turn around and do the things you aren't doing well in that situation.
                I agree even though I would have mixed in at least one play action pass in there. Dawson had to kick a 56 yarder because Cleveland went 3 and out on 3 straight passes. The wind helped Dawson more then his own offense did.

Comment

• Typ0
                  honey pie
                  • Jul 2002

and I would criticise them for the formations not the runs themselves. But then again...they went with formations that gave them the most blockers. They were trying to get more than a couple yards on a run by brute force after, finally, they had had a successful running attack all day. I feel like one week they get criticised about the run and then finally they are successful at it and people criticise them for running. I guess the coaches really can't win unless the put Ws on the board even if their game plans are horrible doing it.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                    • Jul 2002

it was the right call. .
                    It was the righ call ....

If your qb is playing like crap

if you like playing not to lose.

if you don't know what screen pass is.

if you don't know what play acytion is

if your coaches don't know how to make their players perform.
                    sacrifice1
                    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• justasportsfan
                      • Jul 2002

and I would criticise them for the formations not the runs themselves. But then again...they went with formations that gave them the most blockers. They were trying to get more than a couple yards on a run by brute force after, finally, they had had a successful running attack all day. I feel like one week they get criticised about the run and then finally they are successful at it and people criticise them for running. .
                      they were so surprised by their success against a crappy D that they forgot there's such a thing as play action.

I guess the coaches really can't win unless the put Ws on the board even if their game plans are horrible doing it.
                      it's all about the W's. I'd rather win ugly than lose nicely.
                      sacrifice1

Comment

• gr8slayer
                        • Feb 2005

This organization has become one big excuse.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                          • Jul 2002

the worse excuse Dick made was that Trent was given a different look from what they practiced all week. It's not like the browns have the best D in the league. Saying one week is not enough is another pathetic excuse especially when Quinn made Trent look like a 2nd time starter.

Dick is suppose to be a defensive guru. You would think he would be able to tell trent how to attack any defensive looks thrown at him but then again, Dick looks offensively clueless anyways.
                          sacrifice1

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                            Unreachable Douche
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BuffaloRanger

Shocking, Lynch missed another cutback.

Comment

• Crisis
                              • Aug 2004

should've thrown it- trent made one of his only good throws of the night directly before that to royal, maybe he got his head out of his ass for that last drive.
                              Originally posted by LOSman WINS
                              Vanek is Austrian not European
                              Originally posted by Prov401
                              Pacquiao isn't asian. He's from the philippines
                              Originally posted by better days
                              I will not be surprised if Tebow has more success than Peyton in the NFL.

Comment

Working...
                              X