PDA

View Full Version : Tony Dungy's coaching tree

justasportsfan
11-21-2008, 10:27 AM
MArinelli
Herm
Smith
Tomlin.

They may be good coordinators as headcoaches... not impressed. I'm not even that impressed with Dungy's Colts.

If it wasn't for Peyton MAnning I doubt they would've ever won a sb. Dunggy's cover 2 hasn't been the strength of the colts. It's always been Manning and the O.

The jury is still out on Tomlin though. He inherited a good team from Cowher.

RockStar36
11-21-2008, 10:31 AM
Tomlin is a good coach.

trapezeus
11-21-2008, 10:32 AM
dungy is just as passive as jauron but has the good fortune of bill polian who knows how to put a football team together with or without a salary cap.

dungy and jauron are practically the same game day coach. questionable calls, no fire, players love him, super conservative for no reason at all.

justasportsfan
11-21-2008, 10:34 AM
Tomlin is a good coach.
so far which is why I said jury is still out. We'll see in the next year.

justasportsfan
11-21-2008, 10:35 AM
dungy is just as passive as jauron but has the good fortune of bill polian who knows how to put a football team together with or without a salary cap.

dungy and jauron are practically the same game day coach. questionable calls, no fire, players love him, super conservative for no reason at all.

If Wilson wants to win he should ***** slap his daughter and beg Polian to come back.

Mr. Pink
11-21-2008, 10:36 AM

Except Dungy was successful in Tampa as well. And not in the Dick Jauron one year I got lucky type of successful.

RockStar36
11-21-2008, 10:38 AM
Except Dungy was successful in Tampa as well. And not in the Dick Jauron one year I got lucky type of successful.

Thank you for saying that. Everytime someone argues about Jauron they bring up that 13-3 season where the Bears were the luckiest team in the history of the NFL.

gr8slayer
11-21-2008, 10:39 AM
Thank you for saying that. Everytime someone argues about Jauron they bring up that 13-3 season where the Bears were the luckiest team in the history of the NFL.
They really were that year. Mike Brown played better than any SS has ever played.

trapezeus
11-21-2008, 10:47 AM
If Wilson wants to win he should ***** slap his daughter and beg Polian to come back.

or polian's son who is a high level colts guy and has been there for a while. i'm sure he's ready to want to come out and be a full GM. Those guys are still in Buffalo a lot. I met them at a fund raiser last year. And they love this area.

So it's not like they took their anger vs ralph against the community as well.

Kenny
11-21-2008, 10:48 AM
so far which is why I said jury is still out. We'll see in the next year.

Jury's still out on that one. It's hard to judge a guy when he was handed a superbowl quality team.

justasportsfan
11-21-2008, 10:53 AM
Dunggy was successful because people didn't know the cover2 back then. The league has caught up with it and it's been beaten a lot since then.

justasportsfan
11-21-2008, 10:54 AM
or polian's son who is a high level colts guy and has been there for a while. i'm sure he's ready to want to come out and be a full GM. Those guys are still in Buffalo a lot. I met them at a fund raiser last year. And they love this area.

So it's not like they took their anger vs ralph against the community as well.

unfortunately , Ralph is still the owner and doubt he will swallow his pride and hire a Polian.

Mr. Pink
11-21-2008, 11:03 AM
Dunggy was successful because people didn't know the cover2 back then. The league has caught up with it and it's been beaten a lot since then.

:rofl:

Really?

The Tampa 2 is actually the defense the Steel Curtain played during the Steelers glory years. Tony Dungy played for the Steelers at the time and adopted the philosophy to his coaching style.

Teams a decade ago were familiar with the defense as the Steelers were running it 30 years ago.

If you're unsure about this and don't want to take my word for it, do some research on Dungy. He even laughs that it gets called the "tampa 2"

madness
11-21-2008, 11:43 AM

Really?

The Tampa 2 is actually the defense the Steel Curtain played during the Steelers glory years. Tony Dungy played for the Steelers at the time and adopted the philosophy to his coaching style.

Teams a decade ago were familiar with the defense as the Steelers were running it 30 years ago.

If you're unsure about this and don't want to take my word for it, do some research on Dungy. He even laughs that it gets called the "tampa 2"

I wish people would also stop referring it as the "cover 2".

DraftBoy
11-21-2008, 11:46 AM
Tomlin doesnt deserve to be on your list, he's proven himself to a lot of people and to myself. Plus he gets animated on the sidelines too.

madness
11-21-2008, 11:48 AM
The jury's still out on Tomlin and his #1 defense? :wtf:

Jeff1220
11-21-2008, 12:16 PM
Lovie Smith comes from Dungy's staff tree as well. The Bears have had some good defenses.

gr8slayer
11-21-2008, 12:42 PM
Tomlin doesnt deserve to be on your list, he's proven himself to a lot of people and to myself. Plus he gets animated on the sidelines too.
Tomlin is one of the best coaches in the league, young or old.

justasportsfan
11-21-2008, 01:02 PM

Really?

what top teams today or in recent years have won sb running a tampa 2 or cover 2 or whatever it's called. How often has his D carried the colts?

justasportsfan
11-21-2008, 01:05 PM
The jury's still out on Tomlin and his #1 defense? :wtf:

yes. Dick Lebeau is the reason for their no.1 D just like he was the reason why Jerry Gray looked like he knew what he was doing.

Tomlin is doing a fine job so far maintaining a good team he inherited from Cowher. We will find out soon enough once players from the Cowher era start leaving.

Buffatexas
11-21-2008, 01:16 PM
when was Jauron ever an assistant under Dungy?

hydro
11-21-2008, 02:04 PM
I wish people would also stop referring it as the "cover 2".

Tampa 2 and Cover 2 aren't one in the same, although they are very close.

justasportsfan
11-21-2008, 02:19 PM
when was Jauron ever an assistant under Dungy?he wasn't . My bad. I was trying to figure out which coaches ran the cover2 or whatever it's called and has been successful at it since Dick has prefered the defensive system.

madness
11-21-2008, 03:09 PM
yes. Dick Lebeau is the reason for their no.1 D just like he was the reason why Jerry Gray looked like he knew what he was doing.

Tomlin is doing a fine job so far maintaining a good team he inherited from Cowher. We will find out soon enough once players from the Cowher era start leaving.

Actually Tomlin gets just as much credit. The defense is a hybrid of Tomlin's Tampa 2 infused with Lebeau's 3-4 blitzing scheme. Tomlin wanted to switch to a 4-3 but was open-minded enough to realize he'd have to rebuild almost the whole defense. Tomlin and Lebeau have worked wonderfully together not letting each other's egos get in the way but the defense is in fact a combination of the two's influence.

madness
11-21-2008, 03:12 PM
Tampa 2 and Cover 2 aren't one in the same, although they are very close.

Yes the actual coverages are close but Dungy and his disciples have gone on record that the Tampa 2 isn't really a coverage play but more of a philosophy on the type of defense.

madness
11-21-2008, 03:22 PM
he wasn't . My bad. I was trying to figure out which coaches ran the cover2 or whatever it's called and has been successful at it since Dick has prefered the defensive system.

Jauron falls under the Holmgren Tree but also can be traced to Parcell's tree. Jauron was Holmgren's DB coach in GB and also worked under Holmgren disciple Steve Mariucci. His Parcell roots come from being Coughlin's DC in Jacksonville.

Fewell is the branch off of Dungy's tree having his defensive philosphy passed on from Lovie Smith.

RockStar36
11-21-2008, 03:23 PM
I'd also like to note on Tomlin that although he took over Cowher's team, it isn't exactly the same. He has definitely made his own impression on that team.

madness
11-21-2008, 03:31 PM
Dick's preference of the Tampa 2 probably comes from his days in Detroit.