PDA

View Full Version : Blame the coaches, not Edwards!!

HHURRICANE
11-23-2008, 08:49 AM
Everything I've read is telling me that teams are doing the opposite of what they did to JP. Instead of stacking the line they are dropping everyone into coverage.

Guess what? You don't do this when you think the QB sucks. It's more of a statement about teams not worrying about our running game, not QB play.

Edwards said his biggest problem is seeing a completely different defense than what they prepared for in practice. Schonert's defense to this was that "QBs like Peyton Manning have to utilize different players like Joseph Addai when this happens."

Note to Schonert: Edwards is not Peyton Manning nor does have the experience to just change his thought process on the fly. Next year maybe, but not right now. I watched Jay Cutler go through the same thing.

I promise you that Edwards is and will be the future of this franchise. What I can't promise is that he'll ever play for a coaching staff that knows what the hell they are doing.

The last drive on Monday night was an obvious attempt at not letting Edwards screw up. Lindell hasn't missed a kick in 2 years inside the 40 so the coaches made sure to give him a 45 yarder into the win. Instead of not trusting Edwards maybe they should be worrying about not trusting their prep and play calling.

baalworship
11-23-2008, 08:59 AM
I haven't given up on Edwards but he has not performed well in the last few weeks and it's not just the scheme. People are open and he is not pulling the trigger fast enough.

He is playing scared out there and he has to get it together quickly. I do suspect the concussion has affected his play...he was playing at a very high level before that hit in Arizona.

mybills
11-23-2008, 08:59 AM
HH, be quiet. There's no unconvincing the people who are convinced it's his concussion. :;

Mitchy moo
11-23-2008, 09:06 AM
Edwards can play at a high level if he is prepared.

SABURZFAN
11-23-2008, 09:07 AM
Edwards can play at a high level if he is prepared.

that's more than i can say for Lossman.

HHURRICANE
11-23-2008, 09:07 AM
Let me be clear that Edwards has not played well. I'd be nuts to say that he isn't accountable.

What I am saying is that having a young QB prepare all week for a defense that never takes the field and than lamely say "that he needs to go to other players" is ridiculous.

When it's 3rd and 1 and your QB is already struggling with the opposing D (2 picks) you don't line him up in the shotgun with an empty backfield.

Why is Lynch on the team?

Dr. Lecter
11-23-2008, 09:09 AM
The coaches did not throw 3 Int's in the first quarter.

The coaches did not miss wide open receivers (Evans, Hardy, Parrish, Royal) the rest of the game, electing to dump off the ball to Lynch way too often.

The coaches are not without blame, but Edwards was awful last week.

yordad
11-23-2008, 09:12 AM

The coaches did not miss wide open receivers (Evans, Hardy, Parrish, Royal) the rest of the game, electing to dump off the ball to Lynch way too often.

The coaches are not without blame, but Edwards was awful last week.Yeah, what he^ said.

HHURRICANE
11-23-2008, 09:13 AM

The coaches are not without blame, but Edwards was awful last week.

Read above.

Open backfield, deep in your own end, 3rd and 1.

If you put me in a pile of crap I'm not coming out smelling good no matter how much deodorant I'm wearing.

acehole
11-23-2008, 09:15 AM
What do you want the coaches to do?

Ok Trent hit a wide open 6.5 reciever from 3 yards out with no defenders?

Go get um tiger!

:poop:

Everything I've read is telling me that teams are doing the opposite of what they did to JP. Instead of stacking the line they are dropping everyone into coverage.

Guess what? You don't do this when you think the QB sucks. It's more of a statement about teams not worrying about our running game, not QB play.

Edwards said his biggest problem is seeing a completely different defense than what they prepared for in practice. Schonert's defense to this was that "QBs like Peyton Manning have to utilize different players like Joseph Addai when this happens."

Note to Schonert: Edwards is not Peyton Manning nor does have the experience to just change his thought process on the fly. Next year maybe, but not right now. I watched Jay Cutler go through the same thing.

I promise you that Edwards is and will be the future of this franchise. What I can't promise is that he'll ever play for a coaching staff that knows what the hell they are doing.

The last drive on Monday night was an obvious attempt at not letting Edwards screw up. Lindell hasn't missed a kick in 2 years inside the 40 so the coaches made sure to give him a 45 yarder into the win. Instead of not trusting Edwards maybe they should be worrying about not trusting their prep and play calling.

acehole
11-23-2008, 09:17 AM
Read above.

If you put me in a pile of crap I'm not coming out smelling good no matter how much deodorant I'm wearing.

Bottom line is Trent put no fear into defenses.....

They got the game film..they figured out the one trick
of the one trick pony and now he is glue. It is over.

HHURRICANE
11-23-2008, 09:17 AM
What do you want the coaches to do?

Ok Trent hit a wide open 6.5 reciever from 3 yards out with no defenders?

Go get um tiger!

Do you actually read the posts?

HHURRICANE
11-23-2008, 09:20 AM
Bottom line is Trent put no fear into defenses.....

If defenses weren't worried about him throwing they wouldn't be droppong 8 into coverage, they'd be coming at him in waves.

The one trick pony is that we don't have a running game that takes advantage of a not having alot of guys in the box.

You realize this is the opposite of what they did to JP?

SABURZFAN
11-23-2008, 09:31 AM
Bottom line is JP put no fear into defenses.....

fixed :up:

TheBrownBear
11-23-2008, 11:32 AM
If defenses weren't worried about him throwing they wouldn't be droppong 8 into coverage, they'd be coming at him in waves.

The one trick pony is that we don't have a running game that takes advantage of a not having alot of guys in the box.

You realize this is the opposite of what they did to JP?
But isn't this the same thing teams did with Bledsoe? Drop everyone in coverage and wait for Drew to make a mistake (See the Patriots games)? I agree with your basic premise, but, bottom line, the quarterback needs to produce and limit turnovers regardless of the defense. Trent hasn't been careful with the ball....that's the biggest reason we've lost four straight games. Count me among those who think the concussion is the biggest (and maybe sole) reason for his deterioration.

Philagape
11-23-2008, 11:34 AM
Whatever defense he faces, Trent's got to learn to beat it. I think he can.
Growth comes through adversity.

It is a good point that dropping into coverage obviously shows a greater fear of the pass than the run.

gr8slayer
11-23-2008, 11:40 AM
This is all on Edwards.

Dr. Lecter
11-23-2008, 11:49 AM
Read above.

But if you step in the pile of crap that is in front of you, you share majorly in the blame.

Dr. Lecter
11-23-2008, 11:50 AM
This is all on Edwards.

No, not all.

The above mentioned 3rd and 1 formation was horrendous. And other calls were bad as well. But there is still a large amount of blame to place on Trent.

gr8slayer
11-23-2008, 12:10 PM
No, not all.

The above mentioned 3rd and 1 formation was horrendous. And other calls were bad as well. But there is still a large amount of blame to place on Trent.
Sorry, 9/10th's of Edwards' bad play is his own fault.

OpIv37
11-23-2008, 12:20 PM
yeah, the coaches just missed Royal wide open in the endzone on a perfectly called and designed play :rolleyes:

Michael82
11-23-2008, 12:57 PM
yeah, the coaches just missed Royal wide open in the endzone on a perfectly called and designed play :rolleyes:
:bf1:

HHURRICANE
11-23-2008, 05:35 PM
Watch the Royal play again and see if you want to completely blame Edwards.

Edwards played well today.

Dr. Lecter
11-23-2008, 05:40 PM
Watch the Royal play again and see if you want to completely blame Edwards.

Edwards played well today.

I watched it a couple of times. Royal was wide open and backpeddling. He could not have jumped the required 3 feet in the air to catch the ball.

It was 100% on Edwards.

Or is the fault of the coaches?

HHURRICANE
11-23-2008, 05:44 PM
I watched it a couple of times. Royal was wide open and backpeddling. He could not have jumped the required 3 feet in the air to catch the ball.

It was 100% on Edwards.

Or is the fault of the coaches?

This is like third time that I've seen Royal flat footed with the whole endzone behind him. There's a drill, that you are taught when you are a kid so that you don't get stuck like that.

Typ0
11-23-2008, 05:46 PM
I kinda thought that was on Royal too. The ball was in the right place he wasn't. But maybe not it's very difficult to tell.

Buffalogic
11-23-2008, 05:52 PM
Trent misses open receivers a lot because he plays scared as of late. People can try and think of whatever 'solution' they want, but that's the real reason.

HHURRICANE
11-23-2008, 05:53 PM
I kinda thought that was on Royal too. The ball was in the right place he wasn't. But maybe not it's very difficult to tell.

Exactly! Isn't Edwards supposed to throw the ball towards the back of the endzone?

SquishDaFish
11-23-2008, 06:03 PM
He had a good game today finally. But that wide open Royal play was all on Edwards. He had alot of time to adjust the throw to where Royal was. It was an easy catch and he got too excited knowing he had an easy one.