PDA

View Full Version : Jauron contract: A moral dilemma?

Coach Sal
11-23-2008, 11:29 AM
Something I've been thinking about the past few days......

We still have no confirmation either way of whether or not Dick Jauron's contract has been signed. However, we do know that if the two sides hadn't signed it, they at the least were very close to an agreement......at the most agreed to terms, but didn't ink it.

So, here's the moral dilemma scenario (which is totally plausible). Let's say both sides agreed to terms. They had every little detail ironed out. They even shook hands on the deal.....they just didn't actually sign it that day.

Then the Bills lose to Miami and Russ Brandon/Jim Overdorf basically said to Jauron, "let's wait another week," because they didn't want to make it official and make that sort of anmouncement after a loss to our arch-rivals.

Then, after the Jets loss, they basically said, "let's hold off" again.

Two more losses later, the contract is still not signed. But that handshake agreement was still made five weeks ago.

Bills fail to make the playoffs and DJ is fired.

My questions to all of you: If this is the scenario (again, completely possible):
**What are your feelings about the organization not honoring the handshake agreement and conducting business like that?
**Is it morally and ethically wrong?
**If we are ok with it as fans, are we being hypocritical of our normal standards for the organization?
**And finaly, what if it was a player who did that to the organization? Say, Lee Evans had done that, for example. Would there be a double-standard as far as how you react?

I'll post my own response to my questions in my next post.

Coach Sal
11-23-2008, 11:30 AM
My thoughts are that, even though I believe handshake agreements should be honored and in most cases in business I would be extremely pissed and never again trust or do business with the party who renegged, professional sports is a bit different.

If they had agreed to these terms, but did not sign it, at some level, Jauron would HAVE to know that nothing is in concrete until the signing is official. After the Miami loss, he'd at least have to understand that the organization wouldn't want to make that PR move that week.

From there, I would look at DJ not honoring HIS side of the deal - which is - win ball games. After all, that's why the extension was agreed upon in the first place - because the team was winning. So, even though it would technically be morally wrong, I wouldn't blame the Bills for changing their minds. Sorry, but pro football is a multi-billion dollar business, and loyalty and gentlemen's agreements and things like that can't be counted on.

For example, if a player has a 5-year deal, the team can cut or trade him at any time. So, even if the contract was signed, he could still be fired. The only difference here would be that the Bills would not be on the hook for his salary. And the Bills have to look out for their best interest just like anyone else should in business.

Let's face it, this kind of thing would be a pimple on the butt of some of the business practices that have gone on in the NFL over the years. Much, much "worse" has been done year in and year out by many teams. It's kind of understood and accepted.

I'm indifferent on Jauron. I don't love him and I don't hate him. I just want him to win. To me, if somehow ths team musters a big run and makes the playoffs, I have no problem with him getting a new deal. But if they don't....as soon as they are officially eliminated, I say get him the hell out.....agreement, no agreement....signed contract or not.

trapezeus
11-23-2008, 11:46 AM
good question. i think you first look at the context of the situation. yes, not honoring a handshake deal for the most part is ridiculous. but if you shook and had a condition such as playoffs this year, then it's not such an issue.

For jauron, he's really in no position to take his business else where. SO the Bills, as it may be wrong morally/ethically, are in the drivers seat to dictate terms.

I also think if the bills didn't sign right away, there was some concern by the brain trust that the team wasn't good enough and that a full season would show his true colors to make a good decision.

Jauron got himself into this predicament. As bad as the team was in Miami, jets and Pats, they were in positions to win, but bad coaching prevailed. The monday nighter really fell on Edwards shoulders, but it seems like 3 weeks of poor coaching earlier also cost us his confidence.

i also think the team owes it to itself and the fans to make a decision based on the most current info. in week5 it seemed like it made sense to sign him. here in week 11, it makes no sense. they need to review the season as a whole or his body of a work as a whole and make a good team decision.

perhaps next time they won't agree to handshake deals to keep themselves out of this moral/ethical dilema

Nighthawk
11-23-2008, 12:52 PM
Something I've been thinking about the past few days......

We still have no confirmation either way of whether or not Dick Jauron's contract has been signed. However, we do know that if the two sides hadn't signed it, they at the least were very close to an agreement......at the most agreed to terms, but didn't ink it.

So, here's the moral dilemma scenario (which is totally plausible). Let's say both sides agreed to terms. They had every little detail ironed out. They even shook hands on the deal.....they just didn't actually sign it that day.

Then the Bills lose to Miami and Russ Brandon/Jim Overdorf basically said to Jauron, "let's wait another week," because they didn't want to make it official and make that sort of anmouncement after a loss to our arch-rivals.

Then, after the Jets loss, they basically said, "let's hold off" again.

Two more losses later, the contract is still not signed. But that handshake agreement was still made five weeks ago.

Bills fail to make the playoffs and DJ is fired.

My questions to all of you: If this is the scenario (again, completely possible):
**What are your feelings about the organization not honoring the handshake agreement and conducting business like that?
**Is it morally and ethically wrong?
**If we are ok with it as fans, are we being hypocritical of our normal standards for the organization?
**And finaly, what if it was a player who did that to the organization? Say, Lee Evans had done that, for example. Would there be a double-standard as far as how you react?

I'll post my own response to my questions in my next post.

If it means that we finally get rid of this loser, I'm Ok with it. Life is a *****...get over it, Dickey!