PDA

View Full Version : Ko simpson almost made us lose the game

Mitchell55
11-23-2008, 07:23 PM
His job is to cover Tony G and make sure no long runs. Well Tony G had 100+ yards against him and Larry Johnson had 4 20+ runs. Each time Tony gonzalez had a catch, Ko was right there which means it was his man, and on the long runs, each one he was burnt at the line and then chasing after him. We need to play Byron Scott more. He single handedly stopped Antonio Gates and Kellen Winslow.

Dr. Lecter
11-23-2008, 07:25 PM
Scott was hurt and had limited reps, that is why he did not play much.

But I agree that Simpson has disappointed this year.

zone
11-23-2008, 08:09 PM
Yea, almost.

OpIv37
11-23-2008, 08:16 PM
His job is to cover Tony G and make sure no long runs. Well Tony G had 100+ yards against him and Larry Johnson had 4 20+ runs. Each time Tony gonzalez had a catch, Ko was right there which means it was his man, and on the long runs, each one he was burnt at the line and then chasing after him. We need to play Byron Scott more. He single handedly stopped Antonio Gates and Kellen Winslow.

Ellison gave up at least one completion to TG and it was Wilson's man on the long play down the sideline (where he got the big hit). So, TG's production wasn't ALL Simpson's fault.

But I agree, Simpson was terrible. He got beat in pass coverage several times and also got burned on LJ's long run. Scott jumped ahead of Simpson on the depth chart for a reason. Unfortunately, Simpson seems to be one of those guys who has all the physical tools but lacks the smarts. It was no secret that he was raw when they drafted him and the Bills knew he would be a project. But after 2 years, the results aren't good.

I know, 3 years, but I'm not counting the season he was injured.

Dantheman1280
11-23-2008, 08:36 PM
Simpson was not good my any means, but did anyone notice how many times Michell looked out of place, or ran by the play. He is extremely overrated in my opinion!

OpIv37
11-23-2008, 08:38 PM
Simpson was not good my any means, but did anyone notice how many times Michell looked out of place, or ran by the play. He is extremely overrated in my opinion!

He missed the pass coverage then missed the tackle in that long play down the sideline. On one play, he tried to strip the ball from LJ rather than just making the tackle and it allowed him to get a first down. Those two plays come immediately to mind, but he was out of position most of the day.

I said this last week: Mitchell is feast or famine. Send him on a blitz and he'll make a spectacular play, but drop him into pass coverage on 2nd and 10 or tell him to make a tackle on a run on 2nd and 5 and he sucks.

Oaf
11-23-2008, 09:59 PM
Corner was in coverage on most of Gonzo's completions. This, however, does not refute the point the Simpson sucks. He is playing himself out of a job IMO.

yordad
11-24-2008, 12:20 AM
He missed the pass coverage then missed the tackle in that long play down the sideline. On one play, he tried to strip the ball from LJ rather than just making the tackle and it allowed him to get a first down. Those two plays come immediately to mind, but he was out of position most of the day.

I said this last week: Mitchell is feast or famine. Send him on a blitz and he'll make a spectacular play, but drop him into pass coverage on 2nd and 10 or tell him to make a tackle on a run on 2nd and 5 and he sucks.Yep. And, did you see his would-be safety? Come on Mitchell, wrap him up. I think they should blitz him from all angles. Or zone blitz him. Even if it means rotating in Ellis or Bryan more often, because they might be better at dropping back the Denney or Kelsey. Just to mix it up. Mitchell is much better when moving forward. And he seems to apply good pressure.

Crisis
11-24-2008, 12:20 AM

I said this last week: Mitchell is feast or famine. Send him on a blitz and he'll make a spectacular play, but drop him into pass coverage on 2nd and 10 or tell him to make a tackle on a run on 2nd and 5 and he sucks.

the only thing mitchell can do is get to the quarterback...should just send him in every play because he really does great with his blitz timings and can shoot the gap as well as anyone in the league.

outside of his INT in the SD game though his pass coverage has been awful

thenry20
11-24-2008, 01:42 AM

It's up to the D-line and LB's to limit runs not the secondary (they're in for pass coverage last I checked). Where did you learn football?

yordad
11-24-2008, 09:23 AM
It's up to the D-line and LB's to limit runs not the secondary (they're in for pass coverage last I checked). Where did you learn football?It's up to a free safety to prevent the big play, and keep everything in front of him. Not only did Johnson blow by him, Simpson actually pulled up on the play.

psubills62
11-24-2008, 10:47 AM
Simpson has indeed been a bit of a disappointment. While I'm ready to fill his spot, we do have to remember Youboty and how long it took for him to develop. I'd actually be happy with having Scott and Whitner as our starting safeties next year, though depth would be nice.

Corner let up a few receptions, but was anyone else pretty impressed with how he played? I remember at least one throw to Gonzo that Corner nearly intercepted (I think it bounced off a guy). He was decent yesterday from what I saw (though I didn't pay all that much attention to specific players).