• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dr. Lecter
    Zero for Zero!
    • Mar 2003

Two guys that have been playing well with few accolades

Are Brad Butler and Duke Preston. I bashed Preston as much as anybody in the past, but the last two games, the first two with he and Butler playing together, have seen much improved O-line play. Butler is back to playing like he did last year and center, while not a strength, is no longer a liability.

Two games in a row with the best pass protection of the year and the best job of opening holes for Lynch and Jackson. I really doubt it is a coincidence. Fowler was holding Butler and crew back (side note - Dockery was wonderful today as well and Peters, with the exception of the illegal hands to the face penalty was too)

If the Bills decide to keep Preston at center next year and focus the draft and offseason FAs on positions like OLB, DE, FS and TE I could tolerate the idea.
    Originally posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.
  • Mitchy moo
    Roways rooking ahread!
    • Sep 2005

Re: Two guys that have been playing well with few accolades

I agree 100%!!!

Comment

• Kenny
      • Aug 2004

While Im happy with the win, -let's not get ahead of ourselves.

We just came out playing 2 of the very worst defenses in the league. Im guessing the Browns and Chiefs are probably dead last (or near it) in terms of pass defense, run defense and sacks.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
        Zero for Zero!
        • Mar 2003

Rush defense - Browns 27th, KC 31st (nobody worse than the Lions)

Pass defense - Browns 20th, KC 2th

Sacks - Browns 29th, KC last

So neither team is all that good, but the line is better and shows more strength than they did against other bad teams earlier this year.
        Originally posted by mysticsoto
        Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Michael82
          • Jul 2002

I've been saying all year that Butler is very underrated and he was DEFINITELY missed during those 3 weeks. I for one am glad to have him back. Him and Preston work nicely together!

Comment

• yordad
            • Dec 2007

I am convinced Preston is better then Fowler. But I ain't ready to say I'm convinced it isn't an offseason priority.... yet.

Although if we got 2 outta C, OLB, DE, FS and TE in FA, we could be in good shape.
            "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• Crisis
              • Aug 2004

butler looks a lot better because of the pathetic play from whittle and chambers that occupied his position while he was out.
              Originally posted by LOSman WINS
              Vanek is Austrian not European
              Originally posted by Prov401
              Pacquiao isn't asian. He's from the philippines
              Originally posted by better days
              I will not be surprised if Tebow has more success than Peyton in the NFL.

Comment

• Historian
                2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                • Dec 2002

I agree.

Preston was all over the place yesterday.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                  • Mar 2005

Butler is a big part of that OL. He's a very, very solid player.

Preston is not the answer. He's a stop gap until we get a real center in here.

Next year's draft better be:

1) DE
                  2) DE
                  3) C (OL)
                  4) C (OL)
                  5) DE
                  6) C (OL)
                  7) DE

Pick the order.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                    Administrator
                    • Jul 2002

Blake Costanzo deserves a good bit of ST credit also, he had at least three ST tackles yesterday.
                    COMING SOON...
                    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                      • Jul 2002

Costanzo lead the team in tackles with 6 according to the Box score. Good for him!

Comment

• TigerJ
                        • Jul 2002

I'll withhold judgement untill the end of the season. Buffalo has to play all their AFC opponents again, and that means (hopefully) we'll be able to see the Duke Preston/Brad Butler combo against the likes of Vince Wilfork and Kris Jenkins. That will tell us a lot.

Regarding offseason moves, teams cannot, because of the nature of the system, fill all major needs with high draft choices. I've been a proponent of drafting a center in the first couple rounds, and if the rest of the season shows that Preston is not the answer, then I sure wouldn't mind seeing Alex Mack or another top center in a Bills uni next season. However, it has become clear that5 the ineffectiveness of the Bills defensive line at getting to the opposing QB has to be addressed, and the near certain departure of Angelo Crowell after the season combined with the limitations of Keith Ellison means Buffalo has a huge hole at outside linebacker that must be filled. If Prestonh's play fills the need at center,at least to the point of letting Buffalo wait a season to fill it with a high draft player, then Buffalo can spend those first two picks in the draft on players who can finally put some fear into the hearts of opposing QBs.
                        I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                          short bus extraordinaire
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mikey82
                          I've been saying all year that Butler is very underrated and he was DEFINITELY missed during those 3 weeks.

where's hydrosmak? Mikey needs a cookie.
                          Originally posted by yordad
                          Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                            Pinkerton's son
                            • Feb 2006

its sort of a combination of not-so-great teams and the return of Butler, but I would say the addition of Butler has had a decent-sized impact on the return to relevance for our running game. They have done very good job against Shaun Rogers and Dorsey, 2 pretty solid DT's. Lets see how they do against the AFCE

Comment

• madness
                              • Apr 2003

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                              Blake Costanzo deserves a good bit of ST credit also, he had at least three ST tackles yesterday.
                              Lafayette College on the NFL map! ...sort of.

My Costanzo autographed napkin in a picture frame doesn't look so cheesy now... not as much.

Comment

Working...
                              X