PDA

View Full Version : Two guys that have been playing well with few accolades

Dr. Lecter
11-23-2008, 10:35 PM
Are Brad Butler and Duke Preston. I bashed Preston as much as anybody in the past, but the last two games, the first two with he and Butler playing together, have seen much improved O-line play. Butler is back to playing like he did last year and center, while not a strength, is no longer a liability.

Two games in a row with the best pass protection of the year and the best job of opening holes for Lynch and Jackson. I really doubt it is a coincidence. Fowler was holding Butler and crew back (side note - Dockery was wonderful today as well and Peters, with the exception of the illegal hands to the face penalty was too)

If the Bills decide to keep Preston at center next year and focus the draft and offseason FAs on positions like OLB, DE, FS and TE I could tolerate the idea.

Mitchy moo
11-23-2008, 10:42 PM
I agree 100%!!!:rockon:

Kenny
11-23-2008, 10:53 PM
While Im happy with the win, -let's not get ahead of ourselves.

We just came out playing 2 of the very worst defenses in the league. Im guessing the Browns and Chiefs are probably dead last (or near it) in terms of pass defense, run defense and sacks.

Dr. Lecter
11-23-2008, 10:58 PM
Rush defense - Browns 27th, KC 31st (nobody worse than the Lions)

Pass defense - Browns 20th, KC 2th

Sacks - Browns 29th, KC last

So neither team is all that good, but the line is better and shows more strength than they did against other bad teams earlier this year.

Michael82
11-24-2008, 12:00 AM
I've been saying all year that Butler is very underrated and he was DEFINITELY missed during those 3 weeks. I for one am glad to have him back. Him and Preston work nicely together! :up:

yordad
11-24-2008, 12:03 AM
I am convinced Preston is better then Fowler. But I ain't ready to say I'm convinced it isn't an offseason priority.... yet.

Although if we got 2 outta C, OLB, DE, FS and TE in FA, we could be in good shape.

Crisis
11-24-2008, 12:14 AM
butler looks a lot better because of the pathetic play from whittle and chambers that occupied his position while he was out.

Historian
11-24-2008, 04:35 AM
I agree.

Preston was all over the place yesterday.

HHURRICANE
11-24-2008, 07:33 AM
Butler is a big part of that OL. He's a very, very solid player.

Preston is not the answer. He's a stop gap until we get a real center in here.

Next year's draft better be:

1) DE
2) DE
3) C (OL)
4) C (OL)
5) DE
6) C (OL)
7) DE

Pick the order.

DraftBoy
11-24-2008, 07:35 AM
Blake Costanzo deserves a good bit of ST credit also, he had at least three ST tackles yesterday.

THATHURMANATOR
11-24-2008, 07:50 AM
Costanzo lead the team in tackles with 6 according to the Box score. Good for him!

TigerJ
11-24-2008, 08:07 AM
I'll withhold judgement untill the end of the season. Buffalo has to play all their AFC opponents again, and that means (hopefully) we'll be able to see the Duke Preston/Brad Butler combo against the likes of Vince Wilfork and Kris Jenkins. That will tell us a lot.

Regarding offseason moves, teams cannot, because of the nature of the system, fill all major needs with high draft choices. I've been a proponent of drafting a center in the first couple rounds, and if the rest of the season shows that Preston is not the answer, then I sure wouldn't mind seeing Alex Mack or another top center in a Bills uni next season. However, it has become clear that5 the ineffectiveness of the Bills defensive line at getting to the opposing QB has to be addressed, and the near certain departure of Angelo Crowell after the season combined with the limitations of Keith Ellison means Buffalo has a huge hole at outside linebacker that must be filled. If Prestonh's play fills the need at center,at least to the point of letting Buffalo wait a season to fill it with a high draft player, then Buffalo can spend those first two picks in the draft on players who can finally put some fear into the hearts of opposing QBs.

SABURZFAN
11-24-2008, 08:14 AM
I've been saying all year that Butler is very underrated and he was DEFINITELY missed during those 3 weeks.

where's hydrosmak? Mikey needs a cookie. :snicker:

Pinkerton Security
11-24-2008, 08:14 AM
its sort of a combination of not-so-great teams and the return of Butler, but I would say the addition of Butler has had a decent-sized impact on the return to relevance for our running game. They have done very good job against Shaun Rogers and Dorsey, 2 pretty solid DT's. Lets see how they do against the AFCE

madness
11-24-2008, 08:18 AM
Blake Costanzo deserves a good bit of ST credit also, he had at least three ST tackles yesterday.

Lafayette College on the NFL map! ...sort of.

My Costanzo autographed napkin in a picture frame doesn't look so cheesy now... not as much.

Dr. Lecter
11-24-2008, 08:22 AM

1) DE
2) DE
3) C (OL)
4) C (OL)
5) DE
6) C (OL)
7) DE

Pick the order.

I sure as hell hope that is not our draft. That would be awful.

mysticsoto
11-24-2008, 08:47 AM

1) DE
2) DE
3) C (OL)
4) C (OL)
5) DE
6) C (OL)
7) DE

Pick the order.

You need to add LB nd FS to that list. Ellison is at best average, and we've had numerous injuries at LB. Crowell won't be back also. And for FS, Ko has been a disappointment and Wilson...he's a good backup. But it'd be nice to have a superstar alongside Whitner.

As of now, I'd be preferring something like the following:

1) DE - If Stroud had a DE that was worth anything, this Dline could be scary!
2) OLB - We're losing Crowell, Ellison is at best average, and we tend to get alot of injuries here. 'nuff said.
3) C - Does this even require an explanation?
4) FS - Ko disappoints too much and we need to find a gem here like Corner last year.
5) TE - Finding a gem in disguise like Fine might be great.
6) QB - Need a 3rd string QB that is raw but with potential since JP will leave a vacant position. Hopefully someone that has an arm.
7) DT - Someone is needed to replace McCargo. At this point, he just needs to want to play for us - which is already an improvement over McCargo.

Undrafted: C/OG - to groom in the PS - something we should have been doing this year!!!

DraftBoy
11-24-2008, 09:12 AM
You need to add LB nd FS to that list. Ellison is at best average, and we've had numerous injuries at LB. Crowell won't be back also. And for FS, Ko has been a disappointment and Wilson...he's a good backup. But it'd be nice to have a superstar alongside Whitner.

As of now, I'd be preferring something like the following:

1) DE - If Stroud had a DE that was worth anything, this Dline could be scary!
2) OLB - We're losing Crowell, Ellison is at best average, and we tend to get alot of injuries here. 'nuff said.
3) C - Does this even require an explanation?
4) FS - Ko disappoints too much and we need to find a gem here like Corner last year.
5) TE - Finding a gem in disguise like Fine might be great.
6) QB - Need a 3rd string QB that is raw but with potential since JP will leave a vacant position. Hopefully someone that has an arm.
7) DT - Someone is needed to replace McCargo. At this point, he just needs to want to play for us - which is already an improvement over McCargo.

Undrafted: C/OG - to groom in the PS - something we should have been doing this year!!!
Switch FS and OC

and make it a WE instead of DT in Round 7 and you have my prefered draft.