PDA

View Full Version : unsung hero

patmoran2006
11-24-2008, 08:26 AM
George Wilson played a solid overall game and made a few things happen, including a fumble recovery and a sack.. He should start for Ko Simpson moving forward; who is suddenly BRUTAL. How many terrible angles is this clown going to take in one season? I can’t believe I was so high on this guy before the season started.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

buffalony85
11-24-2008, 08:27 AM
George Wilson Did Give Up Another Big TD

Pinkerton Security
11-24-2008, 08:28 AM
George Wilson played a solid overall game and made a few things happen, including a fumble recovery and a sack.. He should start for Ko Simpson moving forward; who is suddenly BRUTAL. How many terrible angles is this clown going to take in one season? I can’t believe I was so high on this guy before the season started.<o:p></o:p>

Poor Ko just never seems to be in position. He showed how much we missed having Whitner to match up against TE's. Im pretty sure TG wouldnt have had 10 freaking catches with Whitner lined up across from him.

Lets hope the extra time helps Whitner rest and heal up!

Dr. Lecter
11-24-2008, 08:30 AM
I agree. Wilson had one bad play when he slipped (which is a mistake that happens), but played well overall.

I do think this game shows that Whitner is not a bust and anybody who thinks he is has to be insane.

mysticsoto
11-24-2008, 08:31 AM
George Wilson played a solid overall game and made a few things happen, including a fumble recovery and a sack.. He should start for Ko Simpson moving forward; who is suddenly BRUTAL. How many terrible angles is this clown going to take in one season? I can’t believe I was so high on this guy before the season started.<o:p></o:p>

He played OK, but I'm not ready to annoint him yet. I've been the biggest fan of Wilson ever since his WR days. But my biggest gripe about him at Safety is that he frequently lets a WR get behind him in our cover 2 - which should be unforgivable. He probably thinks he can catch up (or more than likely does it to cheat and help support the run), but inevitably, he almost always gives up the TD when he does it. He just cannot let a WR get behind him, period!!!

EDS
11-24-2008, 08:44 AM
I agree. Wilson had one bad play when he slipped (which is a mistake that happens), but played well overall.

I do think this game shows that Whitner is not a bust and anybody who thinks he is has to be insane.

I don't think anyone consider Whitner to be a bust in the sense that he is a bad player, just relative to his draft status he is not the type of difference maker you would expect from such a highly drafted safety.

Also, lets face facts, Whitner has taken his fair share of bad angles over the years and coverage is still something he needs work on.

HHURRICANE
11-24-2008, 08:54 AM
George Wilson lying on his back was impressive.

Sorry, but this is another case of falling in love with our mediocre players.

Would George Wilson make another roster in this league???

Dr. Lecter
11-24-2008, 09:25 AM
George Wilson lying on his back was impressive.

Sorry, but this is another case of falling in love with our mediocre players.

Would George Wilson make another roster in this league???

Yes.

Just like Jim Leonard, Justin Bannan, Coy Wire, Josh Stamer, Mario Haggan, etc.

The depth in the NFL is not what it was 15 years ago due to expansion and FA.

I don't think anybody is "in love" with Wilson.

billsburgh
11-24-2008, 09:56 AM
next season, I expect our starting safeties to be Donte at FS and Bryan Scott at SS

RockStar36
11-24-2008, 09:57 AM
I like Wilson. After last year I was a little surprised to see Ko take over the starting spot again this year. As far as I'm concerned Wilson should be starting the rest of the season.

mysticsoto
11-24-2008, 09:59 AM
next season, I expect our starting safeties to be Donte at FS and Bryan Scott at SS

You're right. That's probably what will happen - and I think I'd much prefer that.

yordad
11-24-2008, 10:18 AM
Yeah, I really don't think he can be placed in the hero category. He made enough good plays to make up for his bad plays, but thats about it. Not bad.

mysticsoto
11-25-2008, 10:15 AM
You know, after thinking about this for a bit, I have to say, the player I think is a clear unsung hero this season so far is Walker! People *****ed about him coming here and making too much money when he came from a suspect Oline in Oakland. But this year, he's been the most consistent player in the Oline, does not get the 1-2 penalties our top LT and LG tend to get per game, does not get bullrushed like our Center frequently does, has not had the inconsistency our RG position has had (even Butler has been inconsistent from time to time) and has been the quietest of them all with rarely a peep heard from. I'd say that means he's doing his job - and a damn good job at that.

psubills62
11-25-2008, 10:23 AM
Actually, as long as Whitner and Scott are healthy, I'd prefer having them start every game. Wilson is a decent backup, but not much more. Same with Simpson.

gr8slayer
11-25-2008, 10:33 AM
I've been calling for Wilson to start at FS all season. I thought he played far better last year than Simpson ever did before his injury.

Jan Reimers
11-25-2008, 10:54 AM
Yes.

Just like Jim Leonard, Justin Bannan, Coy Wire, Josh Stamer, Mario Haggan, etc.

Not to mention that Lawyer Milloy is somehow still starting in this league.

gr8slayer
11-25-2008, 11:01 AM
He's actually playing quite well in Atlanta.

patmoran2006
11-25-2008, 11:25 AM
Lawyer Milloy is playing GREAt in Atlanta this year, I'd love to have him on the Bills still.

bigbub2352
11-25-2008, 11:52 AM
Wilson is to slow to be an every down coverage FS, i like him on the roster but he is not a starter, KO has sturggled alot this year and i dont know what that is all about
Why not Wendling, he has 4.4 speed and great size and already has shown he is a sure tackle machine on ST
He was outstanding in college as is super smart

George is just too slow in coverage

bigbub2352
11-25-2008, 11:54 AM
You know, after thinking about this for a bit, I have to say, the player I think is a clear unsung hero this season so far is Walker! People *****ed about him coming here and making too much money when he came from a suspect Oline in Oakland. But this year, he's been the most consistent player in the Oline, does not get the 1-2 penalties our top LT and LG tend to get per game, does not get bullrushed like our Center frequently does, has not had the inconsistency our RG position has had (even Butler has been inconsistent from time to time) and has been the quietest of them all with rarely a peep heard from. I'd say that means he's doing his job - and a damn good job at that.

Good post, he has been the only solid consistent preformer all season for our over paid OLINE

gr8slayer
11-25-2008, 12:03 PM
Wilson is to slow to be an every down coverage FS, i like him on the roster but he is not a starter, KO has sturggled alot this year and i dont know what that is all about
Why not Wendling, he has 4.4 speed and great size and already has shown he is a sure tackle machine on ST
He was outstanding in college as is super smart

George is just too slow in coverageSince when do you need great speed to cover a deep zone?

Oaf
11-25-2008, 05:54 PM
Wilson I think is a good leader on the field and players feed off of his emotion. He may not be a natural safety but he's always around the ball. I think people didn't appreciate all of Gonzo's catches and put that on Wilson, but I actually think it was Corner in coverage on him the majority of the time. Scott-Whitner sounds solid to me at the safeties, but I think we may draft another S sooner than people may want next year. Overall, Simpson is playing his way out of a spot IMO, and is losing to Wilson.

I think Derek Schouman is another unsung hero and it has nothing to do with his TD grab. This guy isn't the biggest, but he can make some HIGHLY TECHNICAL blocks. For example, on the long toss sweep play to Jackson, Schouman starts at the TE spot, gets all the way to the edge on the contain corner, and finds a way to cut block him to the inside giving Jackson the entire outside. Stuff like that.

yordad
11-29-2008, 08:55 AM
Why not Wendling, he has 4.4 speed.
:link:

Since when do you need great speed to cover a deep zone?Since your free safety is getting burned by Larry Friggin Johnson.

TigerJ
11-29-2008, 08:02 PM
Wilson is probably better at this point than Simpson, who shows why teams probably should look for safeties with a decent Wonderlic score. Wilson still does have some upside given that he is still relatively new to the position. I don't think this is a case of fallin in love with a mediocre player, Hurricane. At this point in time, Buffalo has who they have, and needs to play their best at each position, whether their best is mediocre, or something better than that. When the end of the season comes, we can figure out whether a talent upgrade at the position is a priority or not.