PDA

View Full Version : The Defense Problem

ghz in pittsburgh
11-24-2008, 08:29 AM
I still say getting a premium linebacker is the quickest way to fix our defense woes.

We knew what Bennet did for the Bills when he came to town. When Sam Cowert burst on the scene he fixed a lot of problems. When Donahoe signed Spike, the Defense again became top notch.

The Bills really need that player right now. The Bills won't make the playoff this year because of that.

Crowell is not that guy, so even if he could play now, it won't make that much a difference. Our defense ends are a big problem. But I doubt we can fix it in one off season, particularly consider the money we invested over there. A top notch OLB can work well with the DE we have to provide pass rush.

That should, in my mind, be the top priority for Brandon.

EDS
11-24-2008, 08:39 AM
It is clear that Ellison needs to be replaced. I like Crowell and think he is the best of the Bills current group of linebackers but acknowledge that he is not a true elite player. That said, getting an elite player may be easier said then done for the frugal Bills.

Night Train
11-24-2008, 09:07 AM
A new coordinator & a better (4-3) scheme that doesn't get shredded, when you need them to make a stop.

Our overall tackling is terrible.

ghz in pittsburgh
11-24-2008, 10:07 AM
That said, getting an elite player may be easier said then done for the frugal Bills.

I think those at one Bills Drive had to believe that the next two year gotta be the peak of the current group talent they have assembled. You do all you can to fill in the gaps. That means overpaying and even those on the downside of their career.

Another way is the Marcus Stroud route. I look at our DB corp. McKelvin may very well be the best one next year. McGee has one year left. Youboty looks to be a solid one and Corner may be capable as well. Greer is slightly behind McGee in terms of ability but is a quality NFL CB in this league. If they can sign Greer to an extension, then I think we have McGee as a trade bait.

Look McGee is a quality (or even better than quality) CB. But he is also a top notch return man and relatively young. I'd think there is a pretty good market for him. There is definitely a 2nd round pick in him. The Bills have something to work there.

Pinkerton Security
11-24-2008, 10:20 AM
I think those at one Bills Drive had to believe that the next two year gotta be the peak of the current group talent they have assembled. You do all you can to fill in the gaps. That means overpaying and even those on the downside of their career.

Another way is the Marcus Stroud route. I look at our DB corp. McKelvin may very well be the best one next year. McGee has one year left. Youboty looks to be a solid one and Corner may be capable as well. Greer is slightly behind McGee in terms of ability but is a quality NFL CB in this league. If they can sign Greer to an extension, then I think we have McGee as a trade bait.

Look McGee is a quality (or even better than quality) CB. But he is also a top notch return man and relatively young. I'd think there is a pretty good market for him. There is definitely a 2nd round pick in him. The Bills have something to work there.

i like the thought, but I am not prepared to give away our best CB right now. McGee is a very good player and I feel much more comfortable with him in the lineup, no matter who else we have.

OpIv37
11-24-2008, 10:23 AM
i like the thought, but I am not prepared to give away our best CB right now. McGee is a very good player and I feel much more comfortable with him in the lineup, no matter who else we have.

We'll be giving away our best CB when Greer leaves via FA.

This team won't keep both, so the better option is to trade McGee and re-sign Greer. Either way, we're losing a starting CB and at least this way we're getting something in return.

Also, one way or the other, McKelvin, Corner and Youboty will be battling it out for a starting CB job next season.

Pinkerton Security
11-24-2008, 10:26 AM
We'll be giving away our best CB when Greer leaves via FA.

This team won't keep both, so the better option is to trade McGee and re-sign Greer. Either way, we're losing a starting CB and at least this way we're getting something in return.

Also, one way or the other, McKelvin, Corner and Youboty will be battling it out for a starting CB job next season.

Do you really think the Bills will trade McGee though? And I dont see the Bills NOT ponying up the 2-3 mill a year for greer. They seem to enjoy keeping our solid players, and letting the stars like Winfield, Clements, etc. leave.

OpIv37
11-24-2008, 10:28 AM
Do you really think the Bills will trade McGee though? And I dont see the Bills NOT ponying up the 2-3 mill a year for greer. They seem to enjoy keeping our solid players, and letting the stars like Winfield, Clements, etc. leave.

oh, I agree it's wishful thinking that they'd trade McGee and keep Greer.

BTW, Greer has proven he can start at CB in this league- he won't get a Nate Clements contract, but he'll get a lot more than 3 mil a year.

Mr. Pink
11-24-2008, 10:57 AM
A premium End.
A premium LB.
A premium S.

That'll help fixing it.