PDA

View Full Version : Playoffs?! Playoffs?! Who said Playoffs?!

HHURRICANE
11-24-2008, 08:50 AM
Looking over schedules and such:

1) Indy finsihes with Cleveland, Cincy, Detroit, Jacksonville, and maybe a meaningless game against Tennesee. They are getting a wild card spot.

2) Baltimore is not a lock. They have a 3 game stretch with Pittsburgh, Washington, and Dallas. However, they are in the hunt big time so it needs to be brought up.

Our biggest competition for another spot is in our own division.

The Pats must lose to Pittsburgh this weekend!!! It's a conference game and may have some bearing down the road. The Pats schedule is far from easy with 2 consecutive west coast games, than Arizona, and of course Buffalo on the road.

The Jets must lose to Denver this weekend!! Same as above. The Jets still have to play Miami and Buffalo and will have to fly out twice to the west coast to play the 49rs and Seattle.

The Fins two toughest games will be the Bills and Jets. The other games are Rams, Chiefs, and 49rs. Believe it or not, I think they are the toughest comeptition for getting a wild card spot.

THE BILLS HAVE THE TOUGHEST REMAINING SCHEDULE!!! So if the Bills make the playoffs than they deserve it! However, with games on the road at NY and Denver I wouldn't bet on it.

9-7 looks likely. :ill:

Mitchy moo
11-24-2008, 08:56 AM
Bills need to win the rest of their games to have a chance. SF looks to be a great opportunity to improve to 7-5, the rest of our schedule is winnable but not easy.

If Trent plays like he can, we are going to the post-season.

HHURRICANE
11-24-2008, 09:01 AM
Bills need to win the rest of their games to have a chance. SF looks to be a great opportunity to improve to 7-5, the rest of our schedule is winnable but not easy.

If Trent plays like he can, we are going to the post-season.

Did you actually read the thread?

The Bills have the following games left:

1) 49rs (home)
2) Miami (away for all intensive pruposes)
3) Jets (away)
4) Denver (away)
5) Pats (home)

If this was Tennesee's schedule you would most likely give them 2 loses.

Patti120
11-24-2008, 09:03 AM
Key will be running the ball. If we can successfully run the ball, set up play action and our D creates some turnovers then it it possible. The key on O will be running the ball and obviously not having turnovers. If we help any of the teams out then we are screwed. We were in most of the games that we lost in the AFC until the end so anything is possible.

GO BILLS!

Patrick76777
11-24-2008, 09:06 AM
Did you actually read the thread?

The Bills have the following games left:

1) 49rs (home)
2) Miami (away for all intensive pruposes)
3) Jets (away)
4) Denver (away)
5) Pats (home)

If this was Tennesee's schedule you would most likely give them 2 loses.

Intents and purposes!

Mike13
11-24-2008, 10:04 AM
Intents and purposes!

Cocaine is a helluva drug

madness
11-24-2008, 10:11 AM
The Fins two toughest games will be the Bills and Jets. The other games are Rams, Chiefs, and 49rs. Believe it or not, I think they are the toughest comeptition for getting a wild card spot.

The Phins control their own destiny really which is why it would be so much MORE fun to see them miss the playoffs!

Mad Bomber
11-24-2008, 10:13 AM
Intents and purposes!

Cocaine is a helluva drug

The Zone grammar police have spoken...

BTW, Patrick is correct on this.

Mike13
11-24-2008, 10:16 AM
The Phins control their own destiny really which is why it would be so much MORE fun to see them miss the playoffs!

Missing the playoffs would actually be no biggie, yeah making the playoffs would be a nice bonus, but we've already had a sucessful season so far, and we can only bet better.

Historian
11-24-2008, 10:21 AM
There's no way we make the playoffs.

And I think the fish lose to the Chiefs.

RockStar36
11-24-2008, 10:23 AM
I don't see the Bills making the playoffs. I think Baltimore will take their division. Indy will get one wild card and the other will be from the AFCE but it won't be Buffalo. Depending on how Miami plays I think they have a pretty nice schedule.

madness
11-24-2008, 10:25 AM
Missing the playoffs would actually be no biggie, yeah making the playoffs would be a nice bonus, but we've already had a sucessful season so far, and we can only bet better.

Admit it. You'd die a little on the inside. :evil:

Ed
11-24-2008, 10:28 AM
I've been looking at everyone elses schedules and I just don't think 10-6 is going to be good enough to make it this year. Not without winning tie-breakers at least and we're already behind the 8 ball on that. I mean we could easily be 7-5 next week and still be sitting in last place of our division. So really all I'm hoping for is that the Bills win out and I expect everything else would take care of itself. So as far as I'm concerned the playoffs have already started for the Bills and every week has to be treated as a must win.

psubills62
11-24-2008, 10:32 AM
Right now, we certainly don't control our own destiny. But it may come to that, given a couple losses by Baltimore and a loss or two by New England (which I think is likely). I think one of the keys will be getting guys healthy again for the Miami game, provided we can beat San Fran.

A couple upset games to hope for: SF @ Mia, Mia @ KC, NE @ Sea

The San Fran game isn't very likely, but it's possible (remember Oakland beat the Jets in New Jersey). The KC game also isn't likely, but it's possible if Thigpen goes back to playing like he did before the Buffalo game.

And I'm wondering about the Seattle-NE game. While Seattle doesn't have much to play for, they have Hasselbeck back now, and it's at home for them, where they typically play well (they played Washington very tough yesterday). If Hasselbeck can get into a rhythm and if Seattle's D and 12th man can show up, that could be a potential upset, imo.

Just a note: Seattle has lost their last three games by a combined 11 points (@ Miami, Arizona, Washington). I think those three teams are about as good as New England. We'll see.

RockStar36
11-24-2008, 10:39 AM
I'm personally not worried about anyone else. The Bills basically have to win out. I hate depending on the other teams to lose. If the Bills win out I'll worry about the rest later. That being said, they aren't winning out.

Mike13
11-24-2008, 10:45 AM
Admit it. You'd die a little on the inside. :evil:

Yeah I'd be a little dissapointed.

madness
11-24-2008, 10:49 AM
Just be "on track" and finish over .500

1st year of rebuild: 7-9 (some teams would be so fortunate)

2nd year: 7-9 excuses were: dominated with injuries, lost too many close games

3rd year: not allowed to use the same excuse twice. At the beginning of the year, being over .500 was considered an improvement with the majority opinion being we would be set up for a playoff run next year.

raphael120
11-24-2008, 10:57 AM
The past 9 years, there has always been an excuse...

madness
11-24-2008, 11:08 AM
The past 9 years, there has always been an excuse...

Just nine years? I consider going to the SB 4x a huge accomplishment but not winning any out of 4 tries still means there was a excuse. :ill:

...and let's not talk about the Bills before the SB years. You'd have to be up near Ralph's age to see the last time this team was successful.

Mr. Pink
11-24-2008, 11:26 AM
Say we win out and finish 11-5....highly unlikely by the way.

Jets have Den, SF, us, Seattle, Miami left...at 8-3 already do you not see them going at least 3-2 to finish out? Den, SF and Sea are gimmes for them.

Pats have Pitts, Sea, Oak, Ari, Us left...they're 7-4 so they'd need to lose to us and another game. Possible.

Baltimore has Cincy, Wash, Pit, Dallas, Jax. Very possible for them to not get to 11-5.

Indy has cupcakes left Cle, Cin, Det, Jax and Titans. The Titans likely will have nothing to play for week 17. They're winning out. 12-4

Problem is...all these teams are at least a game better than us in conference record.

So here's what we're facing...we're 2 out of the division...not catching. And we're in a fight for the last wild card with 2 teams. Pats and Ravens being the two. Both teams are one game better than us with the Pats having an easier schedule and the Ravens having a more difficult schedule.

Meanwhile the Ravens could still catch Pittsburgh and overtake them for the division.

Going 0-3 in the division thus far makes it very difficult to get the wins we need and a tie-breaker advantage anywhere.

BlackMetalNinja
11-24-2008, 11:27 AM
I said 9-7 before the season, I'm feeling pretty good that I'll have my 3rd consecutive correctly predicted record.

RockStar36
11-24-2008, 11:37 AM
I said 10-6 before the season and the playoffs were up in the air. So far I'm looking pretty good.

raphael120
11-24-2008, 11:43 AM
7-9, 7-9, and 9-7 with one of the easiest schedules in the league?

Still VERY disappointing. Its one thing to just look at the record but to see how we lost these past 4 games is disturbing. Our coach STILL doesn't know how to use timeouts effectively and he still coaches scared. I highly doubt this past win is going to all of a sudden start a new trend of kicking the conservative mentality that is classic Jauron.

Kenny
11-24-2008, 11:44 AM
we havent beaten a single team over .500 yet. Until that happens, I think we're 8-8 or 9-7 if we're lucky.

Bruce is Loose
11-24-2008, 12:27 PM
DIVISION TIEBREAKERS:

The only AFCE division games left are our three, and the NYJ/MIA game in week 17.

If we win all three, then our record in the dicision is 3-3 and either:
Scenario 1: Mia wins week 17, and ALL division opponents are tied in division record having each split with each other
OR
Scenario 2: NYJ wins week 17, NE and BUF are tied in division tiebreakers behind Jets (who pretty much should then win the division).

After the divison record stuff, we then get to:
-Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
Since this only matters for teams that are tied, it really means that whoever has a worst record against the 2 non-common opponents would win this.
The jets would lose this tiebreaker to everyone. MIA would win in this tiebreaker. NE would be tied with us unless they beat Pitt, in which case we would win this tiebreaker. If we are still tied with NE, then we would also be tied with them in the category of 'Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference. '. In this case, strength of victory matters - this goes to say who beat the best opponents. I will not go into the math around this.

Bottom line, if we win all our division games, we are in good shape for at least 2nd in the division. There should be a good chance of that being good enough for a wild card spot.

For this, NE and us each have one loss so far among commonly played opponents (Arizona for us and SD for them). NE would still have to play Sea, Oakland, Arizona while we still have to play SF and Denver. We could well be tied at this point

!Papacrunk!
11-24-2008, 06:01 PM
sadly I don't think 10 games is enough for a wildcard spot for some teams, including Miami. On the other side, after 1-15, and just being able to talk about the sheer chance of playoffs, is a GREAT start for the future!

HHURRICANE
11-24-2008, 08:05 PM
sadly I don't think 10 games is enough for a wildcard spot for some teams, including Miami. On the other side, after 1-15, and just being able to talk about the sheer chance of playoffs, is a GREAT start for the future!

Papa you have every right to be psyched as a Miami fan. Incredible job by Parcells and the coaching staff.

The biggest issue is the long term future of your QB but that's pretty hard to even argue at this point.

HHURRICANE
11-25-2008, 08:50 AM
I said 9-7 before the season, I'm feeling pretty good that I'll have my 3rd consecutive correctly predicted record.

Same record as you!!

I would like us to be wrong!!

jamze132
11-25-2008, 08:53 AM
If we lose one more game, we will miss the playoffs...again.

HHURRICANE
11-25-2008, 09:04 AM

I think we could afford to lose one more game late. If we lose any game in the next 3 weeks it's over.

I think 10-6 will get a playoff spot for sure.

psubills62
11-25-2008, 09:07 AM
I think we could afford to lose one more game late. If we lose any game in the next 3 weeks it's over.

I think 10-6 will get a playoff spot for sure.

It might depend on tiebreakers. I think there may end up being more than two teams with 10-6 records, like last year with the Browns being left out.

TacklingDummy
11-25-2008, 09:08 AM
If the Bills continue the pattern of losng to winning teams and beating bad teams their record will end up 7-9.

!Papacrunk!
11-25-2008, 06:26 PM
Papa you have every right to be psyched as a Miami fan. Incredible job by Parcells and the coaching staff.

The biggest issue is the long term future of your QB but that's pretty hard to even argue at this point.

Pennington is having one heck of a season. W.o him, I wonder if we would even be where we are now, and it's really weird saying that since I used to really hate they guy, lol. Henne has shown some promise, but I think it's still Pennington's job to lose next year. The other thing about the front office is that the foundation seems real, as opposed to the inflated future that Saban brought when he was here, w/ all bitterness aside. Can't wait to see what year two will bring w/ the draft and free agency. Both of our teams are on the right path, even if there are some stumbles on the way!

jamze132
11-26-2008, 02:11 AM
Pennington is having one heck of a season. W.o him, I wonder if we would even be where we are now, and it's really weird saying that since I used to really hate they guy, lol. Henne has shown some promise, but I think it's still Pennington's job to lose next year. The other thing about the front office is that the foundation seems real, as opposed to the inflated future that Saban brought when he was here, w/ all bitterness aside. Can't wait to see what year two will bring w/ the draft and free agency. Both of our teams are on the right path, even if there are some stumbles on the way!
No more Caramelo or whatever the **** his name is = no more dolphins wins.

Kenny
11-26-2008, 08:01 AM

The only game I think we can lose is the Jets game, -assuming they take the division.

CuseJetsFan83
11-26-2008, 08:38 AM
to correct one of the posts listed earlier.... the game the jets lost to was AT oakland........ but either way...... i don't really see that mattering at this point.