• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • psubills62
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2008

Put the franchise tag on Greer

...then trade him.

Before I say anything else, let me clarify a few things. I believe that we would be able to trade Greer for at least a third-round pick, which is better than letting him walk for nothing. In that case, neither us nor the team we traded him to would have to pay the tag money if the other team signs him to a long-term deal.

Reasons:
    1) this is a deep draft class. Extra picks could mean more holes filled (e.g. Center, OLB, etc.)
    2) Otherwise, we'd let him walk for free.
    3) Who else would we put the tag on?

Green Bay did this with Corey Williams. Instead of letting him walk into free agency without getting anything, they put the tag on him and traded him for a second-round pick to Cleveland.

Granted, if we didn't get any trade offers then we'd have to eat the deal, unless we signed him long-term, which is possible imo. But the Bills can afford to eat the cap hit, considering what they could get in return.

Thoughts?

P.S. I don't think Greer is worth the tag money, this just seems to best way to get something for him if Buffalo won't sign him long-term.
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings
  • DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

Re: Put the franchise tag on Greer

If we tag Greer and cant find a trade partner, then we are left over paying a CB.
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Mr. Pink
      Peterman Sucks!
      • Mar 2006

In spirit of the thread, bad idea i think, how much do we have to pay Greer if we transition tag him? Can we trade him while he's on a transition tag?

I'm not familiar with the rules of transition tags.

Hence why I asked.

Comment

• psubills62
        Legendary Zoner
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by DraftBoy
        If we tag Greer and cant find a trade partner, then we are left over paying a CB.
        What are the chances we won't be able to find ANY team that would trade a third for him? Losman, I understand why we couldn't trade him. But Greer? He's been pretty impressive for two years.

If the Bills can't trade him, they could try to re-sign him too. Besides, they can afford the cap hit and depth is always good.
        - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• psubills62
          Legendary Zoner
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!
          In spirit of the thread, bad idea i think, how much do we have to pay Greer if we transition tag him? Can we trade him while he's on a transition tag?

I'm not familiar with the rules of transition tags.

Hence why I asked.
          According to this site:

Another team could sign him and we'd get no compensation if we don't match the contract. Kind of defeats the purpose I guess.
          - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• patmoran2006
            Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
            • Dec 2005

Exactly
            a team not only has to agree to trade compensation with us, they basically have to pay him top 5-10 CB money, and he's not even close to that.

Sorry, it aint happening.. This is why you draft a CB in round 1 and follow up in round 4.. They had to see this coming.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
              • Mar 2004

Why on earth would they let Antoine Winfield and Nate Clements walk, but franchise Jabrari Greer? That makes zero sense. Sorry, dumb idea.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                Administrator
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by psubills62
                What are the chances we won't be able to find ANY team that would trade a third for him? Losman, I understand why we couldn't trade him. But Greer? He's been pretty impressive for two years.

If the Bills can't trade him, they could try to re-sign him too. Besides, they can afford the cap hit and depth is always good.
                The team he goes to would have to pay him top 10 money, nobody is going to want him at that price tag.
                COMING SOON...

Comment

• yordad
                  • Dec 2007

Transition tag makes more sense. If he doesn't get a whooping offer, we can match and trade, or match and keep.

If he does get a whooping offer, he can walk, and we loss nothing.
                  "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral
                    Why on earth would they let Antoine Winfield and Nate Clements walk, but franchise Jabrari Greer? That makes zero sense. Sorry, dumb idea.
                    Actually they did franchise Clements for a year but they had to let him walk the following year. But your point holds true- franchising Greer would be dumb.

The smart move is to sign Greer and trade McGee. Either way, we're down a CB and that's the only way to get something in return.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• psubills62
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Sep 2008

The team he goes to would have to pay him top 10 money, nobody is going to want him at that price tag.
                      No they wouldn't.

If a team signs him to a long-term contract, they don't have to pay him that much money. In the example I gave, Corey Williams was traded to Cleveland and signed a 6-year, 38.6 million contract. If a team signs Greer to a long-term contract, the per-year money can be less than the tag money.
                      - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• psubills62
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral
                        To trade him. Read the post. Besides, they put the tag on Clements and might have again if they hadn't agreed not to.
                        - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• DraftBoy
                          Administrator
                          • Jul 2002

No they wouldn't.

If a team signs him to a long-term contract, they don't have to pay him that much money. In the example I gave, Corey Williams was traded to Cleveland and signed a 6-year, 38.6 million contract. If a team signs Greer to a long-term contract, the per-year money can be less than the tag money.
                          I believe that with that deal Williams was making top 10 DT money, was he not?
                          COMING SOON...

Comment

• psubills62
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Sep 2008

I believe that with that deal Williams was making top 10 DT money, was he not?
                            Yes, but he didn't have to is my point. I think players would rather have a long-term contract with less per-year money than have a one-year contract worth 10 million.

Depending on what happens with extensions and other tags (Asomugha, e.g.), Greer may be one of the top FA CB's. I just don't see why it's such a dumb idea to try and trade him. If we can't trade him, try signing him to a long-term deal. The tag would give us more time to do that.
                            - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• yordad
                              • Dec 2007

Yes, but he didn't have to is my point. I think players would rather have a long-term contract with less per-year money than have a one-year contract worth 10 million.

Depending on what happens with extensions and other tags (Asomugha, e.g.), Greer may be one of the top FA CB's. I just don't see why it's such a dumb idea to try and trade him. If we can't trade him, try signing him to a long-term deal. The tag would give us more time to do that.
                              I don't think it is a completely bad idea. But, it is risky. There is no risk with a transition tag, and the worst that can happen is you choose to match someones offer. That way you aren't forced to pay an average CB 10 million for a year if no deal can be made. Besides, there is always the chance he would rather play 1 year for 10 mil as opposed to 6 for 24 mil (or whatever).

What do yall think he is going to be worth on the open market?
                              "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

Working...
                              X