PDA

View Full Version : Offensive Strategic Decisions

ghz in pittsburgh
11-24-2008, 01:00 PM
I see a more 5 receivers sets or equivalent (anyone other than O-Linemen and QB went out) in yesterday's game than I have ever seen in a Bills game recently.

Part of it, I have no doubt, is that we are facing the Chiefs, the worst pass rushing team in the league (kind of feel like what teams do against us some times). But I'd venture to guess that it was a way designed to combat the 8 men in coverage that teams had been doing against Trent recently. So rather than sending 3 out (leaving 7 blocking 3 rushers), we are sending 5, and pushing as many as 4 deep. It gave Trent more targets, and some underneath room to run if necessary.

Of course having Josh Reed is huge because he has the uncanny a bility to set up people and find open space.

Still, you can clearly see Trent's game evolve in this game. In the 1st quarter how many of you lament when he missed Royal wide open on play action? He's still tentative and missing open targets left and right. But he gets better in the 2nd quarter, starting to connect darts. His rushing TD at the end of the half seemed to be a turning point. In the 3rd, he started to throw over the middle, into tight coverage, like he used to do. Going into the 4th quarter, he's still firing hard and tight.

I don't think one game fixes all his ills. But confidence gotta be one of the biggest issues following his 4 game span. And this game should brought back some of his swaggers back.