• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pinkerton Security
    Pinkerton's son
    • Feb 2006

Good read on Stadiums by Bill Simmons

I generally hate this guy cuz hes a Pats fan, but this is a great read on why a new-fangled stadium, such as the one some fans think we need here, would simply continue the trend that is killing the camaraderie that is an NFL game experience.

for those of you who dont want to read the whole thing, here's the Bills-related part:

"That brewing disenfranchisement keeps popping up at these home games. You can not hear it, if that makes sense. And not just in New England. Thirteen teams have built SOTAS (state-of-the-art stadiums) since 1999; 14 if you include Daniel Snyder's overhauling of FedEx Field in 2004. Each stadium follows a similar let's-rake-in-the-cash blueprint. The first section of seats hug the field. At the top of those sections, the club seats start. That's followed by a phalanx of premium luxury suites. More luxury suites dominate the second section. And the majority of blue-collar fans are crammed into the upper decks. Fundamentally, it's a flawed way to cultivate a home-field advantage; beyond the emotional compromises and festering resentment of the blue-collar fans, the newer stadiums don't reverberate noise the same. Look at Lambeau or Ralph Wilson Stadium -- just rows and rows of fans, one after the other, rising for something like 75 rows before you hit your first luxury box. Watching the Browns-Bills game Monday night, I found myself enjoying the fans as much as the contest itself. Now this was football!
    Of course, Buffalo "needs" to build a new stadium to bank that suite money and "compete" with bigger teams. That's what owner Ralph Wilson says. He snookered outsiders like me with that argument until I made a few Toronto jokes and Buffalo fans graciously educated me on what was really happening. They want to purchase the team in a public trust and keep the stadium as is, like how the good people of Wisconsin own the Packers, but the NFL passed rules years ago preventing that from ever happening again. Why? So its owners could sell their franchises for the highest dollar, and so they could bilk their fans for new stadiums without them saying, "Wait, why can't we just keep the old one?" It's Economics 101 and one of the reasons that the fan/team dynamic can be so indefensibly one-sided and discouraging. We care about them; they don't care about us. In a perfect world, Wilson would sell the Bills to the locals and everyone would be happy. In the real world, the Bills will probably move to Toronto some day and play in -- you guessed it! -- a SOTAS that looks like every other SOTAS."

In the era of state-of-the-art stadiums, Bill Simmons has discovered that home-field advantage isn't what it used to be.

• gr8slayer
    • Feb 2005

Re: Good read on Stadiums by Bill Simmons

I have really enjoyed every new stadium I've been in thus far. I don't know what this clown it talking about.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
      Pinkerton's son
      • Feb 2006

Originally posted by gr8slayer
      I have really enjoyed every new stadium I've been in thus far. I don't know what this clown it talking about.
      nothing is like the ralph. I understand what he's saying: the new stadiums may be nice and all, and they have all the amenities, but for football "purists" perhaps, these sterile new stadiums are taking the blue-collar fans away from the action and stashing them up in the nosebleeds. I have no experience of being in any newer stadiums, but I can understand what hes talking about.

Comment

• gr8slayer
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by pinkdogg32
        nothing is like the ralph. I understand what he's saying: the new stadiums may be nice and all, and they have all the amenities, but for football "purists" perhaps, these sterile new stadiums are taking the blue-collar fans away from the action and stashing them up in the nosebleeds. I have no experience of being in any newer stadiums, but I can understand what hes talking about.
        Well, I've been to a game in Buffalo, Seattle, Arizona, Tampa, Denver, Tennessee, Houston (all new stadiums) and have had a great experience at each one and the fans were all just as pumped up about their team as the fans were in Buffalo. All had something unique about them that the other did not have, example; Seattle is the loudest place on earth, it was far worse than any concert I've ever been to.

The city of Buffalo on the other hand was awesome and a better experience than any of those other cities minus Seattle.

Comment

• RockStar36
          Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
          • Sep 2004

This was a great article. I completely agree with him. I was going to suggest reading it in my power rankings this week.

D & S Sports

Comment

• Ingtar33
            Dances With Buffaloes
            • Sep 2002

i agree with him, with two notable exceptions

Seattle - Qwest Field
            Tennessee - LP Field

of the two LP is my favorite, and if the bill were going to build a new stadium I'd have it built like that one. It is insanely loud there.
            My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• gr8slayer
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Ingtar33
              i agree with him, with two notable exceptions

Seattle - Qwest Field
              Tennessee - LP Field

of the two LP is my favorite, and if the bill were going to build a new stadium I'd have it built like that one. It is insanely loud there.
              Nothing can touch the level of noise that comes out of Qwest Field though. LP was loud but not even remotely close.

Comment

• HAMMER
                I'm right, Miyagi is wrong.
                • Jul 2003

I agree, it's football. Too many pansies these days looking for the latest and greatest. There is nothing wrong with the Ralph, same here in SD with Qualcomm.

Comment

• gr8slayer
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by HAMMER
                  I agree, it's football. Too many pansies these days looking for the latest and greatest. There is nothing wrong with the Ralph, same here in SD with Qualcomm.
                  I agree, the Ralph is a great stadium and there's really no need for a new one IMO.

Comment

• hydro
                    • Oct 2005

I agree, the Ralph is a great stadium and there's really no need for a new one IMO.
                    Could use a different name...
                    BERNIAC!

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by HAMMER

Comment

• SABuffalo786
                        • Feb 2003

They're all overly corporate and impersonal.
                        "Do me a favor, say a prayer for brother Timmy. And tip a cold one. Go Bills." - Tom Brokaw

We are the Rockpile
                        We are the Rockpile
                        We are the Rockpile
                        BUFF-A-LO

Comment

• RockStar36
                          Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
                          • Sep 2004

The best point Simmon made in this article is about the real fans getting pushed out to the sides and into the upper deck to make room for the people with money and corporations. Those fans are going to eventually say screw it and watch at home...in HD, for much less, as loud as they want, much cheaper food, far fewer headaches, etc.

D & S Sports

Comment

• Tiburon1724
                            • Sep 2005

I can't imagine anyone yelling for me to sit down at the Ralph, most of us stay standing the entire game in fact!!

Comment

• SABuffalo786
                              • Feb 2003

Originally posted by RockStar36
                              The best point Simmon made in this article is about the real fans getting pushed out to the sides and into the upper deck to make room for the people with money and corporations. Those fans are going to eventually say screw it and watch at home...in HD, for much less, as loud as they want, much cheaper food, far fewer headaches, etc.

Or just stop watching all together. If that's the way sports is going, leagues like the NFL will implode within a generation.

No New Fans = No Future
                              "Do me a favor, say a prayer for brother Timmy. And tip a cold one. Go Bills." - Tom Brokaw

We are the Rockpile
                              We are the Rockpile
                              We are the Rockpile
                              BUFF-A-LO

Comment

Working...
                              X