PDA

View Full Version : Bruce, Andre, and Tasker among 25 HOF finalists

billsburgh
11-25-2008, 08:33 PM
more........ (http://www.nfl.com/halloffame/story?id=09000d5d80ccde18&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true)

Michael82
11-26-2008, 12:58 AM
Wow! That's pretty big. Hopefully we'll have 2 or even 3 Buffalo Bills go into the HOF next year. We already know that Bruce is a lock. I would love to see Andre and/or Tasker get in there with him. :up:

Mr. Pink
11-26-2008, 01:09 AM
Bruce should be a lock...the other two not so much...

Tasker I doubt will ever get in and Andre Reed if he ever makes it will likely get the Art Monk treatment, unfortunately.

shelby
11-26-2008, 04:17 AM
:bf1:

Historian
11-26-2008, 04:31 AM
I think you may see Tasker squeak in.

First of all, he's on television, that always helps.

People still compare ST tacklers to him. He's the sentimental favorite.

DraftBoy
11-26-2008, 07:11 AM
Tasker doesnt deserve the hall.

The other two will get in.

Dr. Lecter
11-26-2008, 07:13 AM
Tasker doesnt deserve the hall.

The other two will get in.

He most certainly does.

What he did can't be evaluated in stats or numbers. He changed games around and literally changed how special teams were played.

SABURZFAN
11-26-2008, 07:14 AM
i'll be there in person to see Bruce go in. :up:

Dr. Lecter
11-26-2008, 07:15 AM

thanks for the warning.

SABURZFAN
11-26-2008, 07:17 AM
i'll see you down there, Lecter. :beers:

DraftBoy
11-26-2008, 07:20 AM
He most certainly does.

What he did can't be evaluated in stats or numbers. He changed games around and literally changed how special teams were played.

I disagree, the numbers and stats have to be there and there are many great ST teams players for decades ago who are long forgotten but we expect Tasker to be recognized before those guys whose names nobody can even recall? Im sorry, the guy was only good at ST and not at his actual position on the field. If he gets the hall, that's great for him, but to me itd be sad to see guys like Art Monk sit and wait for years way beyond when he should of gotten in.

We let Tasker in, then you gotta let Larry Izzo in who could be argued to be the best kickoff return coverage guy ever. You ok with Izzo getting in? A guy that 95% of NFL fans have no idea even existed?

SABURZFAN
11-26-2008, 07:23 AM
Larry Izzo..... haven't heard that name in a while.

DraftBoy
11-26-2008, 07:24 AM
Larry Izzo..... haven't heard that name in a while.

That's my point, but he was a hell of a ST player and demon on kick coverage.

Dr. Lecter
11-26-2008, 07:28 AM
I disagree, the numbers and stats have to be there and there are many great ST teams players for decades ago who are long forgotten but we expect Tasker to be recognized before those guys whose names nobody can even recall? Im sorry, the guy was only good at ST and not at his actual position on the field. If he gets the hall, that's great for him, but to me itd be sad to see guys like Art Monk sit and wait for years way beyond when he should of gotten in.

We let Tasker in, then you gotta let Larry Izzo in who could be argued to be the best kickoff return coverage guy ever. You ok with Izzo getting in? A guy that 95% of NFL fans have no idea even existed?

First, his actual position was special teams. And the Izzo comparison is a bad one. Izzo excelled in one part of STs, whereas Tasked excelled in several. He covered KOs and punts. he blocked punts. He could even return kicks.

And saying he was "only" good at STs means what? Only STs? Huh?

And Art Monk waiting was a travesty. But as we all know, two wrongs do not make a right. They both should be in. And I am not even saying Tasker should be in this year or next, but at some point he should go in.

Watching him was special. His contributions go past any numbers you can produce. He was also the first of his kind in the NFL. His inclusion on the HoFs all time team as the sole ST player is indictive of his abilities.

RockStar36
11-26-2008, 07:49 AM
Tasker deserves the Hall but I don't think he should get in over Reed. That being said, I would hope that if Bruce goes in they let Reed in as well. And Bruce will be going in.

DraftBoy
11-26-2008, 07:52 AM
First, his actual position was special teams. And the Izzo comparison is a bad one. Izzo excelled in one part of STs, whereas Tasked excelled in several. He covered KOs and punts. he blocked punts. He could even return kicks.

And saying he was "only" good at STs means what? Only STs? Huh?

And Art Monk waiting was a travesty. But as we all know, two wrongs do not make a right. They both should be in. And I am not even saying Tasker should be in this year or next, but at some point he should go in.

Watching him was special. His contributions go past any numbers you can produce. He was also the first of his kind in the NFL. His inclusion on the HoFs all time team as the sole ST player is indictive of his abilities.

Izzo also covered punts and may or may not have blocked one in his career I can't recall. It isnt a bad comparison both players were listed at position (Izzo-LB, Tasker-DB) where they were just bad at. The only place they could play were ST and they excelled at it. Like I said before there have been plenty of guys from the 50's, 60's, 70's, and 80's who were good ST players who got no recognition but we are supposed to reverse that trend now? I just dont see it happening, not with the voters being who they are. I loved Tasker when he was here, but is he hall worthy, no not in my opinion and if I was voting, he wouldnt get my vote. Just my opinion though.

RockStar36
11-26-2008, 07:53 AM
Izzo also covered punts and may or may not have blocked one in his career I can't recall. It isnt a bad comparison both players were listed at position (Izzo-LB, Tasker-DB) where they were just bad at. The only place they could play were ST and they excelled at it. Like I said before there have been plenty of guys from the 50's, 60's, 70's, and 80's who were good ST players who got no recognition but we are supposed to reverse that trend now? I just dont see it happening, not with the voters being who they are. I loved Tasker when he was here, but is he hall worthy, no not in my opinion and if I was voting, he wouldnt get my vote. Just my opinion though.

As far as I'm concerned Tasker changed the way people view special teams. That is HOF worthy.

DraftBoy
11-26-2008, 07:59 AM
As far as I'm concerned Tasker changed the way people view special teams. That is HOF worthy.

And I disagree he changes the way Bills fan view ST, not the way people. Most people don't even know who Steve Tasker is, and if they do know him they have no idea how great he was at ST similar to Larry Izzo.

Dr. Lecter
11-26-2008, 08:03 AM
And I disagree he changes the way Bills fan view ST, not the way people. Most people don't even know who Steve Tasker is, and if they do know him they have no idea how great he was at ST similar to Larry Izzo.

That I disagree with 100%.

His name is out there due to his Pro Bowl appearances (and Pro Bowl MVP) and the aforementioned Hall of Fame alltime team honor. Those alone mean little, but they do make his name much more recognizable.

If you ask NFL fans around the league who they think of when they think of ST players, I can almost guarantee Tasker's name will come up first. Besides, this is not a name recognition honor. That should have nothing to do with it. And also one could ask ST coaches.

chernobylwraiths
11-26-2008, 08:07 AM
Damn DB. Tasker was a ***** WR. I can't believe you didn't know that. Especially with all the stories of Kelly BEGGING Marv to let Tasker play WR because he was so good at it in practice and Marv not wanting to because it would detract from his ST play.

chernobylwraiths
11-26-2008, 08:11 AM
By the way, if a ST get in, the first one probably should be Ray Guy.

DraftBoy
11-26-2008, 08:25 AM
That I disagree with 100%.

His name is out there due to his Pro Bowl appearances (and Pro Bowl MVP) and the aforementioned Hall of Fame alltime team honor. Those alone mean little, but they do make his name much more recognizable.

If you ask NFL fans around the league who they think of when they think of ST players, I can almost guarantee Tasker's name will come up first. Besides, this is not a name recognition honor. That should have nothing to do with it. And also one could ask ST coaches.

I disagree with that and since we have no way to prove each other wrong (remeber though most people are idiots) neither of us can be right.

DraftBoy
11-26-2008, 08:25 AM
Damn DB. Tasker was a ***** WR. I can't believe you didn't know that. Especially with all the stories of Kelly BEGGING Marv to let Tasker play WR because he was so good at it in practice and Marv not wanting to because it would detract from his ST play.

Ahh ****, I confused him with Pike. Either way it doesnt matter.

chernobylwraiths
11-26-2008, 08:30 AM
Ahh ****, I confused him with Pike. Either way it doesnt matter.

Pike was a DE.

DraftBoy
11-26-2008, 08:32 AM
Pike was a DE.

Eh then Im just confused, LB in college and a little S too by the way. Yea its scary that I know stuff from before I was born.

Dr. Lecter
11-26-2008, 08:35 AM
By the way, if a ST get in, the first one probably should be Ray Guy.

I agree Guy should be in too.

CuseJetsFan83
11-26-2008, 08:42 AM
ray guy has deserved to get in since his first ballot, but you can thank the stigma of him being the lowly punter.

i wonder if this would have any effect on other kickers of modern times from being enshrined

Michael82
11-26-2008, 10:31 AM
Sweet! I'll be there, hanging out with kenny, Phil and hopefully hammerbillsfan again. :up:

yordad
11-26-2008, 11:42 AM
Special teams players usually play special teams because they aren't good enough to play an actual position.

Im pretty sure Bob Sanders could be one of the best special teams players ever. Or Whitner. Or.... about 50 other starters.

Is someone here trying to tell me Tasker played STs over WR because he was too good at special teams, or because Reed, Lofton, Beebe, and others were better at WR?

IMO, saying Tasker should get in is like saying some of the best NFL Europe people should get in too. Big fish in a small pond type thing.

I would complain, of course, because he is a Bill though.

That said, Reed should already be in!

Jan Reimers
11-26-2008, 11:56 AM
Bruce is a lock. Ralph should be as well, particularly with moronic owners like Al Davis already having been inducted - but Ralph may have ruffled too many feathers to ever get in.

Andre should already be there (ahead of the likes of Michael Irvin), but he may get passed up again. Tasker's worthiness is one of the great debates in sports.

gr8slayer
11-26-2008, 12:17 PM
Reed = :bf1:
Smith = :bf1: :bf1: :bf1:
Tasker = :meh:

Wilson = :down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::d own::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down:

RockStar36
11-26-2008, 12:32 PM
Bruce will be in. I'm thinking Reed will be too so they can have them both go in at the same time. Sort of like how Monk and Green went in at the same time for Washington. That being said, if two Bills go into the HOF this year together the Bills should definitely be a part of the HOF game.

Mr. Pink
11-26-2008, 02:16 PM
If Tasker makes the HOF so should Izzo...so should Bennie Thompson...so should Chuck Cecil.

None of them are HOFers.

You show up for 5-7 plays a game and you're a HOF guy now these days? Thankfully I hope the voting committee doesn't have as low of standards as some people on this board.

There's a reason ONE kicker and ONE alone is in....in a specialized position your contribution is pretty minimal in the grand scheme of things.

If Devin Hester has another 10 years of doing what he's doing be a HOFer?

How about Josh Cribbs in the same situation?

I can think of plenty of other players known for their special team prowess mostly ahead of Tasker to be honest. Billy "White Shoes" Johnson and Rick Upchurch to name two. Neither of them are Hall worthy either.

yordad
11-26-2008, 02:31 PM
When I first heard Tasker was being considered, I was quite surprised.

chernobylwraiths
11-27-2008, 12:14 AM
The Hall of Fame is for players that are not only great at their position, but in many ways change the way the game is played. To say kickers don't have a big impact on the game is just idiotic. A good kicker wins games, a good punter tilts the field, a good return man tilts the field too. Great players have to be gameplanned against. Tasker was gameplanned against. The other team HAD to know where he was lined up when blocking for a punt. Many times, two players were given the task of covering Tasker on punt coverage and he would still beat them. I believe they made a rule because he used to run out of bounds down the sideline so that he didn't have to fight through two guys all the time. And he was usually around the ball on kickoff coverage too. Later in his career when they finally started letting him touch the ball, they were amazed at what a good return man he was and what a good weapon he was as a WR. Too bad he wasn't given the chance more often when he was young. And I believe Marv has been on record as saying that he didn't want to use Tasker as a third WR because it would take away from his special teams assignments. And we all know how seriously Levy has taken the job of special teams.