PDA

View Full Version : Scouts Notebook: DeMarcus Ware

gr8slayer
11-26-2008, 09:52 PM
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Features/NFL+Features/2008/scouts112608.htm

"The NFL's Most Dominant Defender" - Pro Football Weekly

ROLB DeMarcus Ware, #94
Dallas Cowboys
Height: 6-4, Weight: 251, Speed: 4.57

Notes: Largely unrecruited as a 165-pound receiver coming out of high school but filled out physically and moved to defense at Troy. Named Sun Belt Defensive Player of the Year as a senior at Troy after notching 53 tackles, 19 tackles for loss and 10½ sacks to lead the program to its first bowl appearance. Was selected 11th overall by the Cowboys in the 2005 NFL Draft and immediately entered the starting lineup as a rookie at the weak-side linebacker position in the Cowboys’ 3-4 front, notching 65-11-8 with three forced fumbles, all of which came after sacks vs. Carolina. Started all 16 games again in ’06, and one postseason contest, finishing with 82-16½-11½, setting the Cowboys franchise record for sacks by a linebacker while also recording five forced fumbles, three pass breakups and returning an interception of a Michael Vick pass 41 yards for a TD. Also returned a Donovan McNabb fumble 69 yards for a TD. Named a starter on the NFC Pro Bowl team following the season and again in ’07, when he broke his own club record for sacks by a linebacker by tallying 80-22-14 with four forced fumbles. Is on pace to break his own sack record again through 11 games in ’08, having already recorded 73-16-12 with three pass breakups and three forced fumbles. Is the first Cowboy to lead the team, or be tied for the lead, in sacks in his first three seasons.

Positives: Excellent first-step quickness, flexibility, body control and overall athletic ability to bend off the edge and leverage the corner. Comes off the ball very low to the ground and can rip underneath blockers with his long arms and win one-on-one matchups with his upfield edge burst. Has cat-quick hands and the strength to lock out and transfer his quickness into power, jolting defenders with his punch and bulling blockers into the quarterback. Explosive off the ball. Outstanding pass-rushing instincts with a great feel for the drop point and when to use inside moves, spins and counters to come free. Functional lower-body strength. Can sink his hips and play the run with strength, able to set the edge, quickly disengage from blockers and string out backs to the sideline. Very loose-hipped and fluid in his movement. Can man up and run with backs and tight ends in coverage. Outstanding work ethic, intelligence, durability and character.

Negatives: Not a glass-eater and will use a little too much finesse at times, playing too tall, not wrapping the quarterback and missing some tackles in the open field. Does not show great awareness in coverage or instinctively feel receivers in zones. Ball skills could improve.

Summary: Arrived on the scene as a rookie and made an instant impact, very quickly developing into one of the game’s most dominant pass rushers, serving as the prototype for what teams desire in a 3-4 rush linebacker. Has begun re-writing the Cowboys' record book in his very short career, starting every game and showing continued improvement. Has shown the playmaking, pass-rush ability to be enshrined in Canton if he continues playing the way he has and is every bit deserving of becoming the NFL’s highest-paid defender.
I'm not sure where they got the weight, last I read he was 265, but whatever.

CuseJetsFan83
11-28-2008, 04:52 AM
granted the seahawks played extremely poorly, ware had another dominating game

gr8slayer
11-28-2008, 09:47 AM
Yup, now leads the league in sacks too. The guy is an animal.

DraftBoy
11-28-2008, 10:53 AM
Hyper extended knee though, we'll know more come Monday.

gr8slayer
11-28-2008, 10:54 AM
Hyper extended knee though, we'll know more come Monday.
MRI was already done, according to Jones it showed no damage and he'll be ready to play Pittsburgh.

DraftBoy
11-28-2008, 12:28 PM
MRI was already done, according to Jones it showed no damage and he'll be ready to play Pittsburgh.

I dont believe a word Jerry says...I believe it when I see him practice and play. And he better play. Dallas has crapped the bed 6 years running now in December, they have to turn it around this year.

Colin Cowherd had some great points about this on his show today.

gr8slayer
11-28-2008, 05:16 PM
I dont believe a word Jerry says...I believe it when I see him practice and play. And he better play. Dallas has crapped the bed 6 years running now in December, they have to turn it around this year.

Keep being a doubter :up:

You're going to be crying next week when he's out there because it's been made official by the team that the MRI confirmed it's simply a sprain and that he by his own word will be out there next week no matter what. So sad for you :ill:

PECKERWOOD
11-28-2008, 07:04 PM
That's probably my favorite stat, the sack stat. Man, I really wish Buffalo had a guy like him. I've always loved watching the QB get his head knocked off, hence the reason why Bruce Smith is my favorite player of all time.

gr8slayer
11-28-2008, 07:32 PM
That's probably my favorite stat, the sack stat. Man, I really wish Buffalo had a guy like him. I've always loved watching the QB get his head knocked off, hence the reason why Bruce Smith is my favorite player of all time.
Yeah, it's a beautiful thing to see. No one did it like Bruce either, guy was just simply impossible to stop.

What's sad is that Ware has only three less sacks than the entire Buffalo Bills defense put together. They either need to switch the scheme or get the right players to play the C2/T2.

DBrown77
11-28-2008, 09:49 PM
Yeah, it's a beautiful thing to see. No one did it like Bruce either, guy was just simply impossible to stop.

What's sad is that Ware has only three less sacks than the entire Buffalo Bills defense put together. They either need to switch the scheme or get the right players to play the C2/T2. Are you a bigger Bills or Cowgirls fan?

Night Train
11-29-2008, 05:48 AM

They've been one and done in the playoffs since 1996. If that was anyone else, the country would be mocking them.

All that over the top publicity and they cannot win one freakin' playoff game.

gr8slayer
12-01-2008, 01:51 PM
Per Peter King:

Defensive Players of the Week
DeMarcus Ware, LB, Dallas. Ware leaped to the top spot on my AP Defensive Player of the Year ballot by twice beating oft-All Pro left tackle Walter Jones for sacks in the first half, and then collecting a third in the second half. For the game, Ware had four tackles and he and linebacker Bradie James combined for five sacks. Just because Jones looks like he's not playing on all cylinders is no reason to think Ware's numbers should be tarnished; no one in Seattle can remember the last time, if ever, Jones allowed two sacks in a half.

Oaf
12-01-2008, 04:42 PM
Can anyone remember
A. What happened to our top DE when he went against Walter Jones this year?
B. How the Cowboys got the pick to select Ware in the first place?

There's two more reasons why we suck.

gr8slayer
12-01-2008, 04:49 PM
Can anyone remember

Schobel had one sack and four tackles vs. Jones :up:

gr8slayer
12-14-2008, 11:56 PM
Just keeps proving it week in and week out. Four more for the record.

Lexwhat
12-15-2008, 12:23 AM
Can anyone remember

The Cowboys used their own pick to select Demarcus Ware.

The pick they received from us (when we traded up for JP the previous year), was used to select Marcus Spears.

gr8slayer
12-15-2008, 12:50 AM
The Cowboys used their own pick to select Demarcus Ware.

The pick they received from us (when we traded up for JP the previous year), was used to select Marcus Spears.
Who is also finally having an excellent season. Wouldn't be doing it without him, thank you J.P. Losman!

Lexwhat
12-15-2008, 12:56 AM
Who is also finally having an excellent season. Wouldn't be doing it without him, thank you J.P. Losman!

Didn't even know that. I thought he was a mediocre player thus far... I admit I haven't paid much attention to him otherwise.

I'm too mad about the Whitner and McKelvin picks, that I tend to forget about the 2005 draft.

gr8slayer
12-15-2008, 04:25 PM
Peter King:

Defensive Player of the Week

DeMarcus Ware, LB, Dallas. He might retire this award. He moved with within 3.5 sacks of Michael Strahan's NFL record with his 17th, 18th and 19th sacks of the year against the beleaguered Eli Manning Sunday night. He added three tackles for loss, seven tackles and two forced fumbles, helping hold the Giants to a paltry 218 net yards and Manning to a 43.9 quarterback rating. What a competition for the defensive player of the year award. Albert Haynesworth? Kris Jenkins? Ray Lewis? Troy Polamalu or James Harrison? Or Ware?

gr8slayer
12-15-2008, 04:28 PM
There's no question that DeMarcus Ware will be strongly considered for the Defensive Player of the Year.

His stats (91 tackles, 19 sacks, 20 hurries, 5 forced fumbles for the No. 7 total defense) make a solid case. So does the testimony of his teammates.

"I'd just go turn on some game film to make that argument," DE Marcus Spears said. "I haven't seen one thing that he can't do yet on the field, to be honest with you. Of all the sacks and tackles that he's made this year, when he covered [San Francisco RB Frank Gore] out of the backfield, for me, that was like, 'OK, this cat is on another level.' I mean, he ran step for step with him, first of all. Then, to get the right hand in position to make the play, it's amazing.

"He's amazing. He's just an amazing guy. I don't think there's anything he can't do. He probably could play strong safety, and I'm not exaggerating. He's a 4.4-4.5 guy, and the way he dominates people he's playing is just ridiculous."

Added LB Zach Thomas: "He's got 19 sacks, but he plays the run just as good as he plays the pass rush. That's why a lot of times they don't run to our side, and he steals a lot of my tackles.
"He's unbelievable, and you know the type of guy he is - he's only going to keep getting better and better. It's not his mentality to feel good about himself and not play as hard the next week. He's a special player.

"You see so many things they do against him - chip him with backs, leave the tight end in and have the tackle and tight end on him, sliding the line to him. That helps the other side when they blitz with the Sam or Mike, like with Bradie coming from the other side, because everybody's sliding to DeMarcus most of the time and leaving someone free."

gr8slayer
12-15-2008, 04:29 PM
Sacks by Half:
1st Half = 9.0
2nd Half = 10.0

Sacks by Location:
Home = 10.0
Away = 9.0

Sacks by Quarter:
1st = 4.0
2nd = 5.0
3rd = 4.0
4th = 6.0

All but three of his 19 sacks have come on 1st &10 as well.

THATHURMANATOR
12-19-2008, 07:43 AM
Ware is awesome!