PDA

View Full Version : Eagles Notes | Reid seems happy with team's makeup

Gunzlingr
05-05-2003, 08:45 AM
The Eagles had a lot of work to do in the final months leading up to training camp a year ago.

Before they went to Lehigh University, they were forced to sign veteran running back Dorsey Levens when Correll Buckhalter went down with a season-ending knee injury during the first minicamp. They were forced to sign Levon Kirkland when they determined that Barry Gardner was not the man for the job at middle linebacker. They even signed Antonio Freeman during training camp when they decided that former first-round draft pick Freddie Mitchell wasn't ready to move into the role of No. 3 receiver.

Head coach Andy Reid was asked yesterday whether he is more comfortable with his team this year after the Eagles completed their first of three full-squad minicamps.

"We're going to keep our eyes open, for sure, but I feel very good about this group," Reid said. "We always keep our eyes open for something that might happen."

Any search the Eagles conduct in the coming months could focus on a veteran punter and veteran help at safety.

Reid expressed some concern about the team's punting situation yesterday when asked about Dirk Johnson and Derrick Frost, the two men brought in to compete for the job left vacant by the departure of free agent Sean Landeta.

"I saw some good things and I saw some things I didn't like," Reid said. "I want to see more consistency, and I didn't see that."

MORE (http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/5786684.htm)