PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Simms Gets Crash Course On Life In NFL

Gunzlingr
05-05-2003, 08:53 AM
TAMPA - Chris Simms was briefed on what to expect from his first pro minicamp, but all that preparation didn't matter. The rookie quarterback was still surprised.
``It's a whole lot different than college,'' Tampa Bay's third- round pick out of Texas said. ``The tempo was so high in practice, led by the veterans. I remember watching my dad [former Giants QB Phil Simms] go through two-a-days in training camp and it looked like torture. Now I know a little more what it's like.''

Simms said he's heading home to New Jersey for two weeks before arriving back in Tampa on May 19 for the start of a rookie session.

``I think I improved by leaps and bounds between Thursday and right now,'' he said. ``Being around someone like [Coach] Jon Gruden is special. You think you know the passion and the energy of the man, but you don't really know until you are around him. He's a great motivator and a coach who takes no BS.'' NOT SHAKEN, NOT STIRRED: He made Trent Dilfer expendable and has outlasted Rob Johnson and Shane Matthews. It's little wonder then, that the drafting of Simms last week did little to shake Shaun King's belief that he has a future with the Bucs.

MORE (http://bucs.tbo.com/bucs/MGAH1O8UBFD.html)