PDA

View Full Version : Bills still can't get it right.

HHURRICANE
11-29-2008, 10:13 AM
I'm sorry but Tom Donohoe was fired 3 years ago and we are in our 3rd year of "Rebuilding"?

1) McCargo, who we traded up to get, is gone. GONE. Like will never play here again.

2) We have no depth at LB which means we have a FS playing the spot this weekend, just like Whitner last year. Seriously?

3) We have 4 sacks from our DEs so essentially we will need two starters for sure next year.

4) We have Duke Preston playing center because Fowler was getting man-handled. Looks like we'll need a starting center.

After three years we still have massive holes on our roster. There is no way we can address all of our needs through FA and as everyone knows the draft produces players that need time to develop.

I don't see us being much better next year than we are now. Does it really take 5 years to build a championship team?

yordad
11-29-2008, 10:16 AM
I'm sorry but Tom Donohoe was fired 3 years ago and we are in our 3rd year of "Rebuilding"?

1) McCargo, who we traded up to get, is gone. GONE. Like will never play here again.

2) We have no depth at LB which means we have a FS playing the spot this weekend, just like Whitner last year. Seriously?

3) We have 4 sacks from our DEs so essentially we will need two starters for sure next year.

4) We have Duke Preston playing center because Fowler was getting man-handled. Looks like we'll need a starting center.

After three years we still have massive holes on our roster. There is no way we can address all of our needs through FA and as everyone knows the draft produces players that need time to develop.

I don't see us being much better next year than we are now. Does it really take 5 years to build a championship team?Well if after three we are in the same spot, I think it will take longer then 5.

Oh, you left out TE and FB. And we still don't have a bonafide #2 WR. Plus, not only does our LB depth suck, so does at least one of the starters.

HHURRICANE
11-29-2008, 10:25 AM
Well if after three we are in the same spot, I think it will take longer then 5.

Oh, you left out TE and FB. And we still don't have a bonafide #2 WR. Plus, not only does our LB depth suck, so does at least one of the starters.

1) Two starting DEs
2) One starting LB
3) One starting TE
4) One starting FB
5) One starting WR
6) One starting Center

Geez!!!!!

When you see Miami go from 1-15 to 6-5 in one year you have to start asking yourself if we are ever going to get it right.

TacklingDummy
11-29-2008, 10:59 AM

The Bills have been "rebuilding" since 1999.
Rebuilding = team sucks.

BuffaloBillsStampede
11-29-2008, 11:00 AM
You must be forgetting that we were figuring to go into the year with Crowell starting and having Ellison and DiGorgio as our backups which to me are pretty solid backups. We had good depth at LB but the injury bug bit us in the ass again. It is a rough game and injuries happen so deal with.

As for center I cant argue that.

Schobel has been out at DE so that doesn't help, but I would like to see us draft and/or sign two DE's early.

baalworship
11-29-2008, 11:09 AM
Bills Needs:

1 starting DE (Someone to put pressure opposite Schobel)
1 starting center ( a mauler)
1 starting outside LB Playmaking LB

We need a playmaker at TE...but this is a want and the other three above are the starters we need.

yordad
11-29-2008, 11:15 AM
1) Two starting DEs
2) One starting LB
3) One starting TE
4) One starting FB
5) One starting WR
6) One starting Center

Geez!!!!!

When you see Miami go from 1-15 to 6-5 in one year you have to start asking yourself if we are ever going to get it right.Our QB hasn't been all too consistant either.

Oh, and head coach.

PECKERWOOD
11-29-2008, 11:18 AM
We also have a Paul Warfield type of WR in Lee Evans, locked up long term.

We have a hopeful QB in Trent Edwards.

We got one of the best RB tandems in the NFL.

Marcus Stroud looks to have regained his Pro Bowl form.

Donte Whitner has emerged as a star on defense.

Josh Reed has developed into an important piece of the puzzle for our offense.

Peters is back to his Pro-Bowl level.

I think Langston is a Pro-Bowl caliber RT.

Dockery isn't too bad, could be great with a solid C.

Posluszny isn't a Pro-Bowler but was still a solid 2nd round pick for us.

Mitchell was a great FA pickup, one of our biggest playmakers on defense.

Kyle Williams is still one of our most underrated players on defense, he holds his own for sure.

yordad
11-29-2008, 11:30 AM
Thankyou. But, I'm not sure Reed being this much of a piece is a good thing. On the flip side, we have young talent at WR. I'm convinced one will come on before the end of the season/start of '09.

yordad
11-29-2008, 11:40 AM
If you think about the glass being half full, and with the expectation a young guy or two will emerge, we could be a power house with a better DE, OLB, TE, and C. A better FB would be good too. So outta 22 starting spots, about 17ish are adequate. Parity in the league is a real thing if you ask me.

If the Bills added 5 starters in one offseason, it wouldn't be the first time a team did that.

PECKERWOOD
11-29-2008, 11:54 AM
Thankyou. But, I'm not sure Reed being this much of a piece is a good thing. On the flip side, we have young talent at WR. I'm convinced one will come on before the end of the season/start of '09.

Josh Reed is an excellent #3 WR, he gets open and moves the chains. Reed would be a great #3 on most teams in the NFL.

yordad
11-29-2008, 11:58 AM
Josh Reed is an excellent #3 WR, he gets open and moves the chains. Reed would be a great #3 on most teams in the NFL.Yep. So we agree that he should have less of a role.

HHURRICANE
11-29-2008, 12:01 PM
If the Bills added 5 starters in one offseason, it wouldn't be the first time a team did that.

There is no way we are adding 5 starters. The Bills first have to admit that they have a serious problem at DE. If by some miracle they actually admit it than maybe we'll draft one decent DE, but not two.

We have serious depth issues at LB which means we have to address this spot early and in FA.

TE obvioulsy sucks considering how hard we went for Gonzales. But we are already in third round so don't expect anything great.

Center in 4,5, or 6 is no better than the 3rd rounder we have now in Preston.

If we are lucky we may get 2 starters in the offseason.

Same team with improvement=not good enough.

Mr. Pink
11-29-2008, 12:08 PM
Hard to upgrade the DE position, which needs a definite overhaul. I'd be all for some dead cap space if we released ALL of the DEs we have right now. However I'm sure the organization wouldn't be too pleased.

We have like 20 million wrapped up there, in a bunch of garbage, hasbeens and overrated players.

Depth at LB should be fixable, but then again, it should have already been fixed a couple seasons ago.

Center is one guy, and if we get a good guy, the offensive line will immensely improve.

Tight End, easy to fix. We tried with Royal unfortunately it didn't work.

And we need a Safety.

So if we go out in FA, bring in a Safety, DE, WR - all doable....then draft a C, TE, LB depth...we should be in much better shape next year.

We'll still have some holes, but no team is perfect.

PECKERWOOD
11-29-2008, 12:12 PM
There is no way we are adding 5 starters. The Bills first have to admit that they have a serious problem at DE. If by some miracle they actually admit it than maybe we'll draft one decent DE, but not two.

We have serious depth issues at LB which means we have to address this spot early and in FA.

TE obvioulsy sucks considering how hard we went for Gonzales. But we are already in third round so don't expect anything great.

Center in 4,5, or 6 is no better than the 3rd rounder we have now in Preston.

If we are lucky we may get 2 starters in the offseason.

Same team with improvement=not good enough.

You're wrong about DE, we need 1 starter not two. Aaron Schobel maybe overpaid and overrated but he is still a starting caliber DE in the NFL and he was 2nd in sacks, was it 2 seasons ago? I still think Schobel has the potential to be a top flight DE, he does need to work at it. A DE in the first round would make a TON of sense next year.

I would like a DE in the 1st, a LB in the 2nd, a C in the 3rd, a FS in the 4th, TE in the 5th and a FB hopefully in the 6th. I don't think TE is as big of a priority as some people are leading us on to believe. I want to see how Derek Fine pans out, he has showed some brilliant flashes in the little time that he has played, I can't wait to see what he can do against San Fran. Also, Royal is a good TE, maybe not elite but he is solid. He plays with alot of heart and I like that about Royal, plus he loves to lay nice licks on defenders, definately an underrated player on offense. FB is a tremendous need, IMHO. We need a FB who can blow people up, we've been playing musical chairs with FB for too long in Buffalo, it needs to stop.

patmoran2006
11-29-2008, 12:33 PM
WE're 6-5 and in a playoff race. Things could be worse.

DO we need some upgrades, yes.. As do most teams.

I think its a mediocre coaching staff that kills us more than the talent.

blackonyx89
11-29-2008, 01:11 PM
Our QB hasn't been all too consistant either.

Oh, and head coach.

There's only 1 person to blame for the failure of this team succeeding,
RALPH WILSON, RALPH WILSON,RALPH WILSON!!!

ParanoidAndroid
11-29-2008, 01:15 PM
A difference maker at the DE spot would make the entire defense look better. The Crowell situation was something that couldn't be forseen and will unfortunately force the Bills to seek a replacement. They did not address the FS position last year like they should have, so that has to be fixed as well.

As far as the offense, I think an upgrade at center will go a long way. Hardy is developing, Johnson has some upside, so our WR situation is not that bad.
We've seen Royal do some good things this year but not consistently enough. I think we can all agree that Schouman and Fine are likely not the answer either.

Our needs as I see it:
DE, OLB, FS, C, TE

yordad
11-29-2008, 01:31 PM
Hard to upgrade the DE position, which needs a definite overhaul. I'd be all for some dead cap space if we released ALL of the DEs we have right now. However I'm sure the organization wouldn't be too pleased.

We have like 20 million wrapped up there, in a bunch of garbage, hasbeens and overrated players.

Depth at LB should be fixable, but then again, it should have already been fixed a couple seasons ago.

Center is one guy, and if we get a good guy, the offensive line will immensely improve.

Tight End, easy to fix. We tried with Royal unfortunately it didn't work.

And we need a Safety.

So if we go out in FA, bring in a Safety, DE, WR - all doable....then draft a C, TE, LB depth...we should be in much better shape next year.

We'll still have some holes, but no team is perfect.Right on. If we can find a safety and a LB predraft, we can grab a DE, TE, C, FB in the draft. Bing, bing, bing bing. I mean, Ellsion and Digi do provide good depth. Ko Simpson is cheap, and could/should provide good depth. Maybe even Fine, Scott, Johnson, Hardy, Preston or someone can put a hammerhold on a starting job before years end.

In the end, if we get a difference maker at DE and LB, we could be fine.

yordad
11-29-2008, 01:33 PM
I think that's a doable off season. Do I think it they will do it? No.

Mitchell55
11-29-2008, 01:34 PM
Well if after three we are in the same spot, I think it will take longer then 5.

Who realy cares about FB and Josh Reed is turning into a very very good number 2 WR.

yordad
11-29-2008, 01:42 PM
Who realy cares about FB and Josh Reed is turning into a very very good number 2 WR.That is the attitude many take. I hope the Bills don't agree. I mean, if the FB doesn't matter, why don't we just send out 10? If we are going to field a FB, we could use a better one, so to answer your question.... Turk Schonert cares. Otherwise play 2 TEs, dual half backs, or three wide every time. The 11th position MATTERS.

Josh Reed will never be a good #2. He would be a steller #3 though.

PECKERWOOD
11-29-2008, 01:47 PM
Who realy cares about FB and Josh Reed is turning into a very very good number 2 WR.

Most elite RB's have a great FB paving the way for them. Take note who was blocking for Shaun Alexander with his record setting performance for TD rushes, along with Priest Holmes, LT, Rudi Johnson, MJD, Fred Taylor and Willie Parker. Those are just off the top of my head, if I used google I could find you alot more. FB is very important in the running game.

feldspar
11-29-2008, 03:16 PM
You must be forgetting that we were figuring to go into the year with Crowell starting and having Ellison and DiGorgio as our backups which to me are pretty solid backups. We had good depth at LB but the injury bug bit us in the ass again. It is a rough game and injuries happen so deal with.

You must be forgetting that Crowell would have been back in action by the time the Bills were 5-1. Crowell's not playing now has nothing to do with injury, but our short-sighted move to put him on IR. We deliberately made ourselves a worse team.

yordad
11-29-2008, 03:29 PM
Crowell's not playing now has nothing to do with injury, but our short-sighted move to put him on IR. :link:

HHURRICANE
11-29-2008, 04:08 PM
:link:
I remember Chris Brown reporting that the FO decided to put him on IR than wait the 6 weeks.

Front office decided to be pissed instead of using their heads.

PECKERWOOD
11-29-2008, 06:49 PM
Yep. So we agree that he should have less of a role.

No reason to lessen the work load until we find a more capable #2.

Yasgur's Farm
11-29-2008, 07:12 PM

1) McCargo, who we traded up to get, is gone. GONE. Like will never play here again. #4 overall was it? Mike Williams (TD guy)??? Surely we can draft a 4th rotation guy to help spell Stroud, Williams, and Johnson... The only urgency is the age of Stroud.

2) We have no depth at LB which means we have a FS playing the spot this weekend, just like Whitner last year. Seriously? Digi and Ellison are good back-ups... We draft another starter and maybe a back-up too..

3) We have 4 sacks from our DEs so essentially we will need two starters for sure next year. Yes... We acquire 2 from draft. Meanwhile Schoebel, Kelsay and Denney (all TD guys I believe) will groom 2 rookies and Ellis.

4) We have Duke Preston playing center because Fowler was getting man-handled. Looks like we'll need a starting center. We draft the future starter... Preston can fill until rookie is ready.

After three years we still have massive holes on our roster. There is no way we can address all of our needs through FA and as everyone knows the draft produces players that need time to develop. That's only 6 draft picks... We haven't even looked at free agency yet... What's the panic?

I don't see us being much better next year than we are now. Does it really take 5 years to build a championship team?

Yasgur's Farm
11-29-2008, 07:14 PM
Crowell's not ready to return obviously... The only people saying otherwise are those with an agenda. Crowell would have been given a settlement otherwise.

yordad
11-29-2008, 07:25 PM
No reason to lessen the work load until we find a more capable #2.Oh of course, I agree. But, I think we already have the guy, but I don't think it's Hardy, yet. I think it is Johnson, and I think when we go three wide, Reed should drop to the slot and Johnson should be the number three. Depending how that experiment goes, maybe he starts weeks 16 and 17.

Hardy will probably break out just before his rookie contract expires.

PECKERWOOD
11-29-2008, 07:39 PM
Oh of course, I agree. But, I think we already have the guy, but I don't think it's Hardy, yet. I think it is Johnson, and I think when we go three wide, Reed should drop to the slot and Johnson should be the number three. Depending how that experiment goes, maybe he starts weeks 16 and 17.

Haha, isn't that the truth? I'm hoping Hardy is the answer, I think he will be the answer at WR. He hasn't gotten a great amount of chances but has shown some obvious flashes of freak potential in the redzone. Hardy needs to work on his routes, IMHO. I understand he has dropped some balls, but that's because he is nervous and uncomfortable with his surroundings right now, in other words the kid is understandably nervous, hopefully our man Josh Reed can give him advice because he knows alot about dropped balls. I really hope that Hardy becomes more of a posession type of WR for us. Lee is good for about 60 receptions in a year, we need a work horse. An Eric Moulds type if you will, and Hardy I think can assume that role plus be more of a target than Moulds ever was in the redzone. The kid only has 9 receptions and 2 have gone for TD's, I'm still very high on Hardy. Also, just for the "I told you so's" for a later date, Hardy was my number #1 WR even before the Bills drafted him, give him time.

yordad
11-29-2008, 08:07 PM
Haha, isn't that the truth? I'm hoping Hardy is the answer, I think he will be the answer at WR. He hasn't gotten a great amount of chances but has shown some obvious flashes of freak potential in the redzone. Hardy needs to work on his routes, IMHO. I understand he has dropped some balls, but that's because he is nervous and uncomfortable with his surroundings right now, in other words the kid is understandably nervous, hopefully our man Josh Reed can give him advice because he knows alot about dropped balls. I really hope that Hardy becomes more of a posession type of WR for us. Lee is good for about 60 receptions in a year, we need a work horse. An Eric Moulds type if you will, and Hardy I think can assume that role plus be more of a target than Moulds ever was in the redzone. The kid only has 9 receptions and 2 have gone for TD's, I'm still very high on Hardy. Also, just for the "I told you so's" for a later date, Hardy was my number #1 WR even before the Bills drafted him, give him time.LOL, we like took this thread and ran with it. Seems there is basically a consensuses amongst Bills fans that there is a bona fide #2 on our roster in the making. Having several different players to bank on is a good problem to have. I think you nailed Hardy's problem on the head. Reps, routes and nerves. I think he will get it though. And, he was tied for my number 1 WR this past draft. When we drafted him, I had it in my head if it wasn't him or Sweed, I was starting the "We need a real GM" picket line.

Hardy could be a future #!, but we got Lee for a while, and I think with an adequate #2, Lee will be straight up elite.

Thing is, I think TE is more immediately comfortable with Johnson's game. Outside of Johnson's one MNF drop, he has been perfect. He and TE have chemistry. Josh Reed type chemistry, but Johnson has more of the pro body. Plus Johnson is more comfortable in the crossing and intermediate routes (more then Hardy), Trents bread and butter. He is my early favorite. And like I said, I think Hardy will come on down the home stretch (when his rookie contract is most of the way over). I just see him needing not only the rest of this year, but most if not all of next year before he is ready to contribute significantly. Whereas I think Johnson has 3 wide on the outside potential right now.

raphael120
11-29-2008, 08:24 PM
We also have a Paul Warfield type of WR in Lee Evans, locked up long term.

We have a hopeful QB in Trent Edwards.

We got one of the best RB tandems in the NFL.

Marcus Stroud looks to have regained his Pro Bowl form.

Donte Whitner has emerged as a star on defense.

Peters is back to his Pro-Bowl level.

I think Langston is a Pro-Bowl caliber RT.

Dockery isn't too bad, could be great with a solid C.

Posluszny isn't a Pro-Bowler but was still a solid 2nd round pick for us.

Mitchell was a great FA pickup, one of our biggest playmakers on defense.

Kyle Williams is still one of our most underrated players on defense, he holds his own for sure.

Wow..if this isn't the most homerific view of our team...I don't know WHAT is.

Goobylal
11-29-2008, 08:42 PM
The Bills didn't figure on Crowell pulling that stunt, DiGiorgio getting injured, Schobel missing half the season, Reed getting injured, and Trent forgetting how to play for 4 straight games.

As for what the Bills need next year, it's a DE, center, and LB, first and foremost. Then they need a DT, more depth at LB, and another QB. They can easily get a LB'er in FA, and probably can get a DT there as well. The rest will probably need to come through FA.

PECKERWOOD
11-29-2008, 08:55 PM
Wow..if this isn't the most homerific view of our team...I don't know WHAT is.

Thanks! :D

Nighthawk
11-29-2008, 08:58 PM
Anybody who says that the Bills HAD good backup LB's, but injuries hurt us...is totally insane. I'm sorry, but Ellison, DiGiorgio and Corto does not equal good depth. All of them are terrible and could not step in and keep the defense competitive.

Goobylal
11-29-2008, 10:36 PM
Anybody who says that the Bills HAD good backup LB's, but injuries hurt us...is totally insane. I'm sorry, but Ellison, DiGiorgio and Corto does not equal good depth. All of them are terrible and could not step in and keep the defense competitive.
Really? They've been doing a good job of it so far, minus Crowell and DiGiorgio for most of the year. Where the Bills have floundered is on offense.

tat2dmike77
11-29-2008, 10:40 PM
We have a cheap owner who would rather keep all the money he can for his family then actually put a winning product on the field.

BTW Tyson Jackson would look good in a Bills uniform next year.