PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the injury settlement for Crowell?

HHURRICANE
11-29-2008, 10:15 AM
If Crowell was healthy enough to play wouldn't he have already settled and been picked up by another team?

yordad
11-29-2008, 10:17 AM
If Crowell was healthy enough to play wouldn't he have already settled and been picked up by another team?I don't believe he has the option entirely to himself. And, I think he pissed off the Bills enough for them not to play ball. If he is released, rather then lost, we probably could lose comp picks. :idunno:

SABURZFAN
11-29-2008, 10:26 AM
:z:

Cntrygal
11-29-2008, 10:49 AM
I didn't think he could get picked up while on IR................

ParanoidAndroid
11-29-2008, 10:56 AM
He can't. Nor can he be released.

yordad
11-29-2008, 11:01 AM
I didn't think he could get picked up while on IR................We could reach an injury settlement, and release him. That way we save on the money we pay, and he is free to be a free agent at what could prove to be an opportune time.

I am no negotiations expert. But, I would figure there are some teams out there making a playoff push, that happen to be weak the OLB position. Heck, we probably could have won 2 more games had we had him. At the very least, he could choose a playoff/SB condender.

I think when he is healthy he is a top 5 OLB in this league. And, since every team has at least two, that would pretty much make him a starter on any team in the NFL.

So, with teams knowing their weaknesses at this point, and some of those teams knowing OLB is their weekness, and some of those teams in the playoff hunt.... he could be in high demand right now.

We all know that with demade comes a higher price. Especially if two top teams in the same division both show interest.

So, I think he wouldn't mind being a FA right now. Either way though, he is the best available OLB come years end.

So, the real question is, do the Bills lose comp pick considerations if they reach an agreement, rather then let him walk? Because we all know Ralph would like to save some money. Unless he is really trying to make a statement.

Dr. Lecter
11-29-2008, 11:06 AM
He is not healthy. He had major knee surgery.

Jeff1220
11-29-2008, 11:11 AM
I liked Crowell...he's definitely better than Ellison....but top 5? :laughing:

yordad
11-29-2008, 11:19 AM
He is not healthy. He had major knee surgery.
Or that, lol. But why are people saying we would have him back had we not IR'd him?
I liked Crowell...he's definitely better than Ellison....but top 5? :laughing:Well, feel free name 5 better OLBs. I couldn't think of 5 that I would rather have.

Dr. Lecter
11-29-2008, 11:58 AM
Lance Briggs
Derrick Brooks
Thomas Davis
Greg Ellis
Derrick Johnson
Terrell Suggs
David Thornton
DJ Williams
DeMarcus Ware

yordad
11-29-2008, 12:06 PM
Lance Briggs
Derrick Brooks
Thomas Davis
Greg Ellis
Derrick Johnson
Terrell Suggs
David Thornton
DJ Williams
DeMarcus WareYeah, I'm just gonna have to disagree with ya on most of those. Either way, does 2 of them play on the same team?

PECKERWOOD
11-29-2008, 01:10 PM
Lance Briggs
Derrick Brooks
Thomas Davis
Greg Ellis
Derrick Johnson
Terrell Suggs
David Thornton
DJ Williams
DeMarcus Ware

AJ Hawk
Karlos Dansby
Vernon Gholston
Mike Vrabel
Joey Porter
Lamarr Woodley
Shawne Merriman
Willie McGinest
Kamerion Wimbley
Keith Bullock

yordad
11-29-2008, 01:13 PM
You guys are crazy if you think all those dudes are better then Crowell.

Dr. Lecter
11-29-2008, 01:15 PM
You are crazier if you think Crowell is top 5.

Good player? Sure. Even very good. But not even close to top 5.

PECKERWOOD
11-29-2008, 01:20 PM
You guys are crazy if you think all those dudes are better then Crowell.

He gave you 9 players, I gave you 10.. I think atleast 5/19 are better than Crowell. Plus, you can't tell me that Bullock, Merriman and Hawk aren't better than Crowell. Atleast 3 of the guys I listed are hands down better and that doesn't include other notables such as Dansby and Porter who are both having killer years and are dominating for their respective teams.

patmoran2006
11-29-2008, 01:26 PM
AFTER we had put him on IR, instead of the scope procedure he decided to have a more major knee surgery.

feldspar
11-29-2008, 03:30 PM
Or that, lol. But why are people saying we would have him back had we not IR'd him?.

He had more in-depth comprehensive surgery than he would have had if he were going to play this year, and nobody knows if he is healthy or not right now. He figured that, if he wasn't going to play this year, he might as well get the works done with his knee. In other words, Crowell had a different kind of surgery because he didn't have to worry about coming back to play in a timely fashion. That's what his doctor said.

We WOULD have had him back had we not IR'd him...and by the time we were 5-1, too.

Crowell was #2 in tackles for an OLB last year, and #9 overall.

I forget how an injury settlement works for a player who was put on IR, but I seem to remember something about a time limit on when it could be done.

yordad
11-29-2008, 03:35 PM
I think Crowell is in the Hawk, Briggs catagory.

yordad
11-29-2008, 03:36 PM
Crowell was #2 in tackles for an OLB last year, and #9 overall.
So, where would you rank him for OLB?

feldspar
11-29-2008, 05:30 PM
So, where would you rank him for OLB?

Top ten, definitely...if I had to rank.

He didn't start until a few games into the 2005 season, so he's only been playing the position for us for a few years. I can't believe we just tossed him aside like that. He was good at first (4th in tackles for a OLB in 2005), but he was just coming into his own. Stupid to let him go like we will.

Now ask me where I would rank Ellison.

PECKERWOOD
11-29-2008, 08:13 PM
I think you guys will be surprised when Crowell takes a serious nose dive on another team.

yordad
11-30-2008, 12:10 AM
I think you guys will be surprised when Crowell takes a serious nose dive on another team.If he comes back healed, I would be surprised if he sucked. I think he will be better. He will practically be able to pick the scheme he wants, and the line in front of him would have to be better then what he had last year.

ParanoidAndroid
11-30-2008, 02:10 AM
Anyway, since Angelo went out on his own to get this done outside the organization, he basically ended his own season. Crowell played through it for more than a year but elected to not get surgery during the off-season like he should have. Add to that, he is going to be a free agent. An injury settlement makes no sense. So, he will remain on IR until that time. Had he listened to his team doctors, he would probably be looking at an extension right now and would be helping this team reach the playoffs.

Buffalogic
11-30-2008, 03:28 AM
The top 5 OLB lists people put up keep leading me to one conclusion...How awesome would it be for the bills to have a player like Suggs at linebacker...The dude is an animal! Our defense lacks a real exceptional, athletic linebacker to make game-breaking plays for us!

Not to mention I used to play bball with the guy and totally crossed him up and layed it up in his face while the whiteboy said 'kobe!' He took it like a man though and all he could do was laugh...Then his team got back to pummeling us.

Cool dude and great player!!

BillsFever21
11-30-2008, 07:36 AM
Crowell is always injured.