PDA

View Full Version : First minicamp turns into Camp Parcells

Gunzlingr
05-05-2003, 09:00 AM
After conducting his first minicamp since 1999, coach Bill Parcells was reminded just how "ignorant" rookies are.

More importantly, he fully realized how appreciative he is that Cowboys owner Jerry Jones brought him out of retirement to turn around this downtrodden franchise.

"I had fun, and I looked forward to it," said Parcells, who became the sixth and highest-paid coach in Cowboys history in January, replacing Dave Campo after a third consecutive 5-11 season.

"I told Jerry a couple of times that I appreciate the opportunity to come down here and try to do something. I really mean that with all sincerity. I look forward to try to do a good job for him and the fans."

It also was clear during the three-day rookie minicamp that ended Sunday that Parcells will rely on the formula that helped him win two Super Bowls with the New York Giants (1983-1990) and turn the New England Patriots (1993-1996) and New York Jets (1997-1999) into winners.

Hard work, discipline, attention to detail and old-school measures were the highlights of a camp meant to teach rookies and selected veterans what is expected of them.

More than anything, the camp revealed that, for the first time since Jimmy Johnson left after the 1993 season, the Cowboys have a coach who is in firm control and is not to be messed with.

MORE (http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/football/5788715.htm)