PDA

View Full Version : So is Trent Edwards the QB of the Future???

Mahdi
11-30-2008, 05:38 PM
I had major reservations about Trent's ability to find the intermediate throws (10-20 yards) last year and his ability to make them and so far this year he has shown that he depends very heavily on the short passing game which is why every defense, including the worst defenses in the NFL have just been dropping players into the short zones knowing he wont make the throws over the top.

I realize he is young but common even young QBs are able to make the throws that Trent is refusing to make. IE Matt Ryan, Thigpen, Flacco.

Im sure there are varying opinions out there but im curious to know how strong the confidence is in Trent at this point...

O and btw... is it possible that Edwards was benched today with a fictitious "groin injury"?

TacklingDummy
11-30-2008, 05:42 PM
He's the future for now. Simply because there is no one else at the moment.

Mitchy moo
11-30-2008, 05:49 PM
He's the future for now. Simply because there is no one else at the moment.

JP is aweful and the terrorist is unknown.

Mahdi
11-30-2008, 05:54 PM
JP is aweful and the terrorist is unknown.
Dont be an idiot. Show some class. Just because he is Arab doesnt give you the right to call him terrorist even as a joke.

Then it would be fair game to call black players gangsters and white guys slow and un-athletic.

Dont go there.

gr8slayer
11-30-2008, 05:56 PM
He's the QB of the future if you want to be a mediocre team forever.

Stewie
11-30-2008, 05:56 PM
but white guys are slow and un-athletic :sorry:

Stewie
11-30-2008, 05:58 PM
also, Trent will be fine. C'mon people, he's freaking 25 years old playing in cold buffalo weather for the first couple seasons, with an inconsistent run game and average wide receivers.

Mr. Pink
11-30-2008, 05:58 PM
He's a future backup somewhere.

Does that count?

justasportsfan
11-30-2008, 06:02 PM
also, Trent will be fine. C'mon people, he's freaking 25 years old playing in cold buffalo weather for the first couple seasons, with an inconsistent run game and average wide receivers.
thats the problem, the guy can't play in the cold.

Mahdi
11-30-2008, 06:21 PM
Right but have you been watching Trent's release and his foot placement when he throws. Its ugly and ineffective. He keeps raising his back leg and putting his chest into his throws rather than his shoulder.

Stewie
11-30-2008, 06:34 PM
i could cares less if it's ugly, pretty, or whatever. Trent isn't playing with confidence, bottom line. I hope he regains it before he loses his job as a starting QB in the NFL. I have full confidence that given time, Trent will be a great QB.

Spiderweb
11-30-2008, 08:56 PM
Trent quite frankly simply looks lost. Whatever he was doing to start the season, has become a distant memory to both the fans and sadly to Trent himself. When teams and the season progressed (get down to business), he collapsed.

DraftBoy
11-30-2008, 09:29 PM
i could cares less if it's ugly, pretty, or whatever. Trent isn't playing with confidence, bottom line. I hope he regains it before he loses his job as a starting QB in the NFL. I have full confidence that given time, Trent will be a great QB.

Its not about being pretty but Mahdi described was serious mechanical flaws with his throws. He is getting sloppy and has shown no signs that he intends to turn it around any time soon.

gr8slayer
11-30-2008, 09:31 PM
Its not about being pretty but Mahdi described was serious mechanical flaws with his throws. He is getting sloppy and has shown no signs that he intends to turn it around any time soon.
Funny, he had the same issues in college but everyone blamed it on everyone around him. Interesting.....

BILLSROCK1212
11-30-2008, 09:33 PM
there is no future without the present........lets let the present play out and then we'll worry about the future

THE END OF ALL DAYS
11-30-2008, 09:33 PM
white guys slow and un-athletic.

they are :)

DraftBoy
11-30-2008, 09:37 PM
Funny, he had the same issues in college but everyone blamed it on everyone around him. Interesting.....

Not everybody

gr8slayer
11-30-2008, 09:40 PM
Not everybody
Well, people who don't know football and need to be hit over the head with a tack hammer :up:

Tatonka
11-30-2008, 09:57 PM
trent cant play in any kind of weather.. cold.. rain.. snow.. slight breeze.. partly cloud.

**** trent. and **** jp too.

TacklingDummy
11-30-2008, 09:59 PM
And to think at one time I was considered the hater around here.

Tatonka
11-30-2008, 10:07 PM
im not a hater.. i am just completely disenchanted and it is just absolutely no longer enjoyable to be a fan. a decade since we made the playoffs is just unbearable.. i thought losing 4 superbowls was tough..but at least there was hope then.. now there is just nothing. we are just bad.. and there is no sign that anything will get any better.. i have put so many hours of time into this team it is unreal. if i put the same amount of time into playing the guitar, i would be eddie ****ing van halen.

im just tired of it with no reward. i either want to root for a team that gives something back to its fans or just stop rooting.

im4bflo
11-30-2008, 10:19 PM
Until we get a QB that is good enough to call his own plays, audible, and execute.
We won't have our next Kelly.
We need a field general, not an OC's puppet/robot or whatever.
Trent is still what I've always said, a good second stringer, but not an elite QB.
Colder weather is coming, snow, and he hasn't done well in that area either.
But what can we do now? JP's not much better.
We need an elite all weather QB. We need a tough guy! It's not easy in BUFFALO!
GO BILLS!

PECKERWOOD
12-01-2008, 12:16 AM
Unfortunately, we need to bring another QB in here. The issue needs to be resolved. I don't trust our future in Edwards' hands. I want us to add competition or depth atleast! Losman is neither of those, we need another QB in here, even if Edwards is the answer. I don't think that through the draft is the right answer either. I hope we skip QB from now on in the draft. We've had ZERO luck drafting QB's. Let's draft EVERY POSITION BESIDES QB FOR THE NEXT MILLION YEARS!!!!

JD
12-01-2008, 01:37 AM
cookie G, DraftBoy, DrGraves, FunTimesYaY!, gr8slayer, im4bflo, m1orenz, Mad Bomber, Mahdi, Mtn.Mike, sdbillsfan2, Tatonka, thecoordinator, UltimateBillsFan

...really? LMFAO REALLY!?!?!

You're going to say he doesnt have the ability to be a starter? Are you all out of your ****ing minds?? The guy hasnt even started 2 full seasons yet and you're already jumping to conclusions??

To say Losman doesn't have the ability to be a starter is one thing after 4 years of fail but to say the same about Edwards?? REALLY? :lmao:

Mommy forgot to hide the crack pipe!

Mr. Pink
12-01-2008, 01:45 AM
cookie G, DraftBoy, DrGraves, FunTimesYaY!, gr8slayer, im4bflo, m1orenz, Mad Bomber, Mahdi, Mtn.Mike, sdbillsfan2, Tatonka, thecoordinator, UltimateBillsFan

...really? LMFAO REALLY!?!?!

You're going to say he doesnt have the ability to be a starter? Are you all out of your ****ing minds?? The guy hasnt even started 2 full seasons yet and you're already jumping to conclusions??

To say Losman doesn't have the ability to be a starter is one thing after 4 years of fail but to say the same about Edwards?? REALLY? :lmao:

Mommy forgot to hide the crack pipe!

It's the same career progression with this guy as it was the last....

A couple good games splashed around mired in mediocrity and downright hideousness.

There is no progression at all in Trent. And his last 5 games, he's splashed in one good game against 4 absolutely terrible games. He's been the main reason we lost 4 of our 6 games without question.

Some players got it and some players don't. It's blatantly obvious that Trent doesn't have it, just like it was blatantly obvious in 2005 that JP didn't have it.

Maybe we'll get lucky and we can watch Trent try to play QB another 2 years, like we got to see with JP! Wouldn't that rule?

Here's what you have in Trent...a guy who looks lights out against crap teams...withers against good teams....and is downright pathetic in poor weather conditions.

If you think that's good enough to win in this league you've grown too accustomed to what we've seen around here for the past decade.

Good players elevate the play of those around them....who's play does Trent elevate? No one.

The only positive I got on Trent is...at least he's not as bad as JP. Not that that is saying anything.

JD
12-01-2008, 01:55 AM
After the concussion he hasn't been the same. We have the biggest line in the NFL yet hes always being pressured. This guy is much better than his stats suggest. Watching the play of JP compared to Trent is totally different. Trent has "it".. its just that his coaching staff doesnt have "it". Sure JP should get a cushion because his coaches blow but how do you get sacked 5 times in a half when the starting QB wasnt touched once in the first half? It's because JP stares down one receiver almost everytime.. and then when that guy gets covered, because its so ****ing obvious where the ball is going, he panics.. runs around like his head has been detached and whinds up getting sacked.

I wouldn't pull the plug on Trent just yet. I really think that injury scrambled his marbles a bit. Bring in a veteran backup to mentor next year and give him 4 games, at least, to change your mind.

LtFinFan66
12-01-2008, 05:48 AM
49er's only had 3 sacks yesterday:scratch:

Night Train
12-01-2008, 05:55 AM
I don't buy into him anymore.

He locks onto receivers far too long, allowing CB's & LB's to get a good jump on breaking up the play or making an INT. Subpar pocket awareness allows big hits from the blindside. Poor bad weather QB. Misses wide open options with alarming regularity.

I think the Bills need to sign a seasoned vet and draft another QB, unfortunately. :down:

Mr. Pink
12-01-2008, 05:56 AM

He locks onto receivers far too long, allowing CB's & LB's to get a good jump on breaking up the play or making an INT. Subpar pocket awareness allows big hits from the blindside. Poor bad weather QB. Misses wide open options with alarming regularity.

I think the Bills need to sign a seasoned vet and draft another QB, unfortunately. :down:

100% accurate.

Sad but true.

Yasgur's Farm
12-01-2008, 06:16 AM
What we have here are lickers and lickersII.

1 thing for sure... Our #2 QB is gonna have to cost Ralph a lot of $'s... Cus Trent's gonna spend a lot of time unable to answer the bell.

Mr. Pink
12-01-2008, 06:20 AM
Sign Michael Vick.

HHURRICANE
12-01-2008, 08:08 AM
Do you people actually watch other games? Other players?

You are expecting a 2nd year player to play like Jim Kelly? Really?

I've watched Cutler and Eli and both of these players took 3 years to get it. Edwards is ahead of both of these guys with alot less talent around him.

QB is not our problem right now. Having to burn a timeout because James Hardy doesn't know where he is supposed to line up is a problem. Passing in obvious run sitautions is a problem. Having no #2 WR is a problem.

Notice how the sacks came back as soon as JP came on the field. We have an inherit problem with not having guys that can beat their coverage.

Philagape
12-01-2008, 08:16 AM
I'm no doctor, but if Trent's groin was bothering him throughout the first half, as he said it was, would that affect his mechanics? Like a torque issue?

Luisito23
12-01-2008, 09:59 AM
The guy looks like he's throwing darts instead of a football out there...Get McNabb in the offseason and let Trent ride the bench where he belongs!!!

bigbub2352
12-01-2008, 10:02 AM
Better hope he is
We have to many wholes to worry about gettin our franchise QB in here too
man we ****ed up the last 3 yrs in the draft

Tatonka
12-01-2008, 10:04 AM

dead accurate post.

Tatonka
12-01-2008, 10:06 AM
mcnabb or vick sounds like an improvement to me.. simply because it is change to our current situation.. and im ready to see anything else other than what we got right now.

Boomstick
12-01-2008, 10:08 AM
Right but have you been watching Trent's release and his foot placement when he throws. Its ugly and ineffective. He keeps raising his back leg and putting his chest into his throws rather than his shoulder.
Its pushing off with the back leg and using the torso to twist putting more velocity on the ball. Anyone who uses just shoulder will have weak throws and a very short career that most likely would have ended in highschool. Because you'll tear that shoulder up at the end of the day.
Its the same as any pitcher or a batter, the power and speed doesn't come from the arms, its the legs and torso.
This kid has some problems, but mechanics aren't really it. Mechanics is Leftwich type things (wind up)

justasportsfan
12-01-2008, 10:09 AM
I thiink Trent can be a better qb with a coach who knows how to use his talents . A coach who knows how to design plays using his strengths. KInda like the way BB borke both Brady and Cassel into the league by making them dink and dunk using screens in the most opportune time until they were rady to evolve into deep threats.

Typ0
12-01-2008, 10:13 AM
I thiink Trent can be a better qb with a coach who knows how to use his talents . A coach who knows how to design plays using his strengths. KInda like the way BB borke both Brady and Cassel into the league by making them dink and dunk using screens in the most opportune time until they were rady to evolve into deep threats.

so basically, when TE was playing like the uber QB it was all because TE is a great QB....and now that he can't even make a simple throw it's because of the coaching. Brilliant logic.

Boomstick
12-01-2008, 10:13 AM

Exactly! As much as I hate Belly... he developed the system that allows a QB's weaknesses to be hidden or minimized while they continue to learn the game with time. Eventually this makes them pretty dang good QBs.
Most staffs are able to do this to lesser degrees, except the staffs here can't seem to manage that at all. They did it with both these kids. (TE and JP)

justasportsfan
12-01-2008, 10:14 AM
Exactly! As much as I hate Belly... he developed the system that allows a QB's weaknesses to be hidden or minimized while they continue to learn the game with time. Eventually this makes them pretty dang good QBs.
Most staffs are able to do this to lesser degrees, except the staffs here can't seem to manage that at all. They did it with both these kids. (TE and JP)

I hate BB too but the guy knows how to bring out the best in his players and put them in a situation to succeed.

justasportsfan
12-01-2008, 10:18 AM
so basically, when TE was playing like the uber QB it was all because TE is a great QB....and now that he can't even make a simple throw it's because of the coaching. Brilliant logic.
no, it's was because we played weak teams at the perfect time. I already said that before.

Talk about stupid logic. We get beat by crappy teams AT HOME and yet Dick has a winning cutlure. You shouldn't be talking about logic. You have none.

Mr. Pink
12-01-2008, 10:25 AM

Yeah, he did such a good job with young QBs in Cleveland.

Couldn't develop Todd Philcox or Eric Zeier. Both were kids.

Nope can't be because Brady and Cassel have talent, could it?

It's all Belichick!

Philagape
12-01-2008, 10:27 AM

Didn't work yesterday. Two picks, two fumbles, five sacks, completed less than half his passes

justasportsfan
12-01-2008, 10:28 AM

It's all Belichick!
coaches evolve. They learn as they go along.

Mr. Pink
12-01-2008, 10:31 AM
coaches evolve. They learn as they go along.

Apparently they become stupid as they go along too.

Seeing you dismiss Jimmy Johnson, Bill Parcells, Joe Gibbs, Paul Brown, Mike Ditka as well.

justasportsfan
12-01-2008, 10:37 AM
Apparently they become stupid as they go along too..I don't disagree.

Seeing you dismiss Jimmy Johnson, Bill Parcells, Joe Gibbs, Paul Brown, Mike Ditka as well.
Dissmiss? Its a known fact that JJ couldn't win anything in Miami because he bumped heads with Marino. JJ wanted to run the ball like he did with Smith at Dallas and Marino wanted to throw the ball. Clueless as usual.

Again, what about the fins now? Seems to me his coaching Philosophy is beating our coaches while rebuilding. Decisions, decisions. Its what coaches do, it's waht makes a team win sb's.

For as long a coaching decisions prove to win sbs in inspite of talent like last years sb, or the giants sb win over the bills, you're wrong.

Mr. Pink
12-01-2008, 10:40 AM
I don't disagree.

Dissmiss? Its a known fact that JJ couldn't win anything in Miami because he bumped heads with Marino. JJ wanted to run the ball like he did with Smith at Dallas and Marino wanted to throw the ball. Clueless as usual.

Again, what about the fins now? Seems to me his coaching Philosophy is beating our coaches while rebuilding. Decisions, decisions. Its what coaches do, it's waht makes a team win sb's.

For as long a coaching decisions prove to win sbs in inspite of talent like last years sb, or the giants sb win over the bills, you're wrong.

Oh yeah, and execution has nothing to do with the games either.

It's all on coaching.

If you have a good coach you'll win games regardless of everything else.

Boomstick
12-01-2008, 10:40 AM
Didn't work yesterday. Two picks, two fumbles, five sacks, completed less than half his passes

Nothing works 100% of the time. And it failed yesterday quite miserably. But for the most part it looks like hes got himself a pretty good system. I hate saying, I hate it completely but it seems true.
It has helped that the front office of that team has made some great player choices to support that system too.

Boomstick
12-01-2008, 10:44 AM

It's all Belichick!
He was nowhere near the coach then that he is now. Hes the biggest jerk off in coaching, but he's good at it. I'm not saying the players don't have talent, its just that he helped that develop their talents further.
And its not just his coaching that did it either, front office brought in some damn good players to help out a lot.

But seriously, Todd Philcox was awful.

justasportsfan
12-01-2008, 10:46 AM
Oh yeah, and execution has nothing to do with the games either.

It's all on coaching.

If you have a good coach you'll win games regardless of everything else.

Did you not read when I said talent and coaching go hand in hand?

The NFL is not Madden where talent alone wins. Coaching is a bigger factor than talent and the Pats have proven that . You can keep trying to argue with facts all you want.

Mahdi
12-01-2008, 10:48 AM

I've watched Cutler and Eli and both of these players took 3 years to get it. Edwards is ahead of both of these guys with alot less talent around him.

QB is not our problem right now. Having to burn a timeout because James Hardy doesn't know where he is supposed to line up is a problem. Passing in obvious run sitautions is a problem. Having no #2 WR is a problem.

Notice how the sacks came back as soon as JP came on the field. We have an inherit problem with not having guys that can beat their coverage.
Honestly I would agree with this statement normally but Trent is not a playmaker at the QB position. He is a take what you give me QB. And if you take away what he likes to do he is stumped.

Even when Cutler was a rookie he was able to make the throws that gave you an indication or a sign that he was an NFL QB. Trent doesnt do that deep into his second year.

Mr. Pink
12-01-2008, 10:48 AM
He was nowhere near the coach then that he is now. Hes the biggest jerk off in coaching, but he's good at it. I'm not saying the players don't have talent, its just that he helped that develop their talents further.
And its not just his coaching that did it either, front office brought in some damn good players to help out a lot.

But seriously, Todd Philcox was awful.

That's exactly my point. Philcox and Zeier were both awful. Brady and Cassel aren't.

This is no magic woven by Belichick or what he does to prepare players, he's just gotten lucky that when his "top guy" has gone down there is someone capable behind them.

Imagine if Tom Brady was as good as Philcox....Belichick would be a DC somewhere and never have another sniff at a HC job.

Mahdi
12-01-2008, 10:50 AM
I hate BB too but the guy knows how to bring out the best in his players and put them in a situation to succeed.
Both Brady and Cassell are talented QB. You can tell simply by the throws they are able to make. Cassell can execute any throw you ask him to. He throws with accuracy and velocity.

Philagape
12-01-2008, 10:51 AM
Nothing works 100% of the time. And it failed yesterday quite miserably. But for the most part it looks like hes got himself a pretty good system. I hate saying, I hate it completely but it seems true.
It has helped that the front office of that team has made some great player choices to support that system too.

Great players, yes. When you have Moss, you can just chuck it up for grabs and he'll get it.
Cassel's still had a mediocre season overall. His big games are a small minority. He's mostly been a caretaker. With those receivers and that awesome "system," he has just three more TDs than Trent Edwards.

justasportsfan
12-01-2008, 10:56 AM
This is no magic woven by Belichick or what he does to prepare players, he's just gotten lucky that when his "top guy" has gone down there is someone capable behind them.

So why hasn't the other teams gotten the best out of their 1st rd qb's while BB has been able to get the best out of Brady who was a 6th rd and Cassel who's last start was in HS?

It might not be magic but he sure knows to make players play their best.

NE hasn't had a steady rb this season yet they are better than both Lynch and Jackson. What now, Ellis-Green is better than Lynch? YOu gonna spin things and tell us , oh it turns out he's better than Lynch just like it turns out that Cassel is better than Trent.

Troy Brown was a wr his entire career until the PAts brought him in and made him a decent cb.
tahts what coaches can do.

DraftBoy
12-01-2008, 10:59 AM

It's all Belichick!

Its not BB who makes New England so good, its Scott Pioli, Nick Caserio, Jonathan Robinson, and the rest of the FO.

With Demitroff being such a good hire for Atlanta, look for both Caserio and Robinson to be GM's in the NFL very soon.

Mr. Pink
12-01-2008, 11:01 AM
So why hasn't the other teams gotten the best out of their 1st rd qb's while BB has been able to get the best out of Brady who was a 6th rd and Cassel who's last start was in HS?

It might not be magic but he sure knows to make players play their best.

NE hasn't had a steady rb this season yet they are better than both Lynch and Jackson. What now, Ellis-Green is better than Lynch? YOu gonna spin things and tell us , oh it turns out he's better than Lynch just like it turns out that Cassel is better than Trent.

Troy Brown was a wr his entire career until the PAts brought him in and made him a decent cb.
tahts what coaches can do.

New England has a hell of a lot better offensive line than we do.

Cassel is better than Edwards, it's obvious.

Troy Brown played like 6 games at corner because the Pats had no other choice. Not that they turned him into a good corner, he was their nickle/dime back. Drew Bledsoe threw him the ball, I think Drew forgot that Troy wasn't on his team anymore.

And the Pats D has been absolutely awful this year....and Belichick is a defensive genius. Or did he get stupid this year?

Mr. Pink
12-01-2008, 11:03 AM
Its not BB who makes New England so good, its Scott Pioli, Nick Caserio, Jonathan Robinson, and the rest of the FO.

With Demitroff being such a good hire for Atlanta, look for both Caserio and Robinson to be GM's in the NFL very soon.

Agreed.

They have excellent talent evaluators and bring quality players in, regardless of anything else or what the league thinks.

Just wait til Larry Johnson is a Pat next year.

justasportsfan
12-01-2008, 11:06 AM
Both Brady and Cassell are talented QB. You can tell simply by the throws they are able to make. Cassell can execute any throw you ask him to. He throws with accuracy and velocity.
that wasn't the case when they first started. The coaches brought it out of them.

Trent can make all the throws both Brady and Cassel can throw but he isn't because his coaches don't know how. Hell ,this coaching staff lost the entire team. The took Trents confidence in himself when all the talked about is how Trent has a Qb swagger and full of confidence. Now he's lost his mojo.

Mr. Pink
12-01-2008, 11:09 AM
that wasn't the case when they first started. The coaches brought it out of them.

Trent can make all the throws both Brady and Cassel can throw but he isn't because his coaches don't know how. Hell ,this coaching staff lost the entire team. The took Trents confidence in himself when all the talked about is how Trent has a Qb swagger and full of confidence. Now he's lost his mojo.

Getting the crap knocked out of you and taking a concussion tends to make some people gun shy.

But it couldn't have been that, it must be the coaching.

Boomstick
12-01-2008, 11:10 AM

I agree with this. They have the best FO in football. They bring in everyone including BB. They have taken the time to develop the coaches and players both. Each player, coach and assistant compliments all the others very well. It started at the top and worked its way down.
I wish the Bills had that kind of situation here.
All this being said, damn I hate the Patriots.

justasportsfan
12-01-2008, 11:10 AM
New England has a hell of a lot better offensive line than we do.

Cassel is better than Edwards, it's obvious.

Troy Brown played like 6 games at corner because the Pats had no other choice. Not that they turned him into a good corner, he was their nickle/dime back. Drew Bledsoe threw him the ball, I think Drew forgot that Troy wasn't on his team anymore.

And the Pats D has been absolutely awful this year....and Belichick is a defensive genius. Or did he get stupid this year?
his qb is still learning and will have his struggles. As I pointed out (you chose to ignore their running game with less talent because it proves my point) their running game isn't what it once was but IT'S STILL BETTER THAN OURS .

HIs qb that's played his last start in HS all of a sudden becomes better than Trent who not only has more experience as a pro but even in college?

Yeah, Pioli looked at Cassels college games while sitting on the bench and decided he could relieve Brady and do better than Trent.

YOu're cluless if you think BB couldn't make Trent a better qb than he is.

Mr. Pink
12-01-2008, 11:13 AM
his qb is still learning and will have his struggles. As I pointed out (you chose to ignore their running game with less talent because it proves my point) their running game isn't what it once was but IT'S STILL BETTER THAN OURS .

HIs qb that's played his last start in HS all of a sudden becomes better than Trent who not only has more experience as a pro but even in college?

Yeah, Pioli looked at Cassels college games while sitting on the bench and decided he could relieve Brady and do better than Trent.

He was obviously right.

Cassel is better with his progressions, makes better decisions with the ball, has more arm strength and better mobility. Along with better mechanics. If you can't see that, I can't help you.

BTW I answered why the Pats running game is better...they have a better O-line. Their O-line opens holes. They also have a QB who can run a little too. You chose to ignore that comment earlier.

justasportsfan
12-01-2008, 11:20 AM
He was obviously right.

Cassel is better with his progressions, makes better decisions with the ball, has more arm strength and better mobility. Along with better mechanics. If you can't see that, I can't help you.

BTW I answered why the Pats running game is better...they have a better O-line. Their O-line opens holes. They also have a QB who can run a little too. You chose to ignore that comment earlier.

:rofl: They have a better running game because thier coaches know how to run the ball just like they ran with Antoine Smith all the way to the sb. Again, you can argue with facts all you want.

Didn't matter when they lost Milloy, didn't matter when they lost Bledsoe. They can win with whover they bring in. The facts are there.

Yeah they were right, Grren Eills is better than lYnch :laugh:

Mr. Pink
12-01-2008, 11:31 AM
:rofl: They have a better running game because thier coaches know how to run the ball just like they ran with Antoine Smith all the way to the sb. Again, you can argue with facts all you want.

Didn't matter when they lost Milloy, didn't matter when they lost Bledsoe. They can win with whover they bring in. The facts are there.

Yeah they were right, Grren Eills is better than lYnch :laugh:

Antowain Smith had pretty much identical numbers the SB year in NE as he did here. Only the TDs were a big enough difference to matter. 12 TDs to 8 here. 1100 yards in both years. But they got so much more out of him than we did...right!

Milloy was replaced by a guy who was better...Rodney Harrison.

Bledsoe was replaced by a guy who was better...Tom Brady.

Notice when they lose guys they replace them with guys that are better.

Meanwhile we replace guys laterally...or with a dropoff. Lynch - McGahee lateral. Fletch - Poz drop off. The only positioned we've upgraded since Mularkey is QB. Not that it matters because TE sucks too.

Chimpanze
12-01-2008, 11:59 AM
you guys are splitting hairs.

There are only a few elite quarterbacks in the NFL. The rest are all recycled and average players. I.E. Garcia, Frerotte, Culpepper, K Collins, Kitna etc...

I believe we have an above average quarterback stuck with a below average coaching system.

For example, where was Lynch down the stretch of the most important game of the season!!!!!

The defense played really well, the ref blew a call on Leodis and the game should have been won quite easily.

This game reminded me of the Jets game where we would march down and come up with nothing.

When a team can march up the field as consistently as the BILLS have all season and not come up with points... This tells me the playcalling is TERRIBLE.

So, in conclusion, Trent Edwards is better than any other average quarterback. Take away Brady, the 2 Mannings, Favre and a few others and you notice that all TEAMS are struggling with QUARTERBACKS!

CHEERS ALL,

Chimp

Boomstick
12-01-2008, 12:00 PM
you guys are splitting hairs.

There are only a few elite quarterbacks in the NFL. The rest are all recycled and average players. I.E. Garcia, Frerotte, Culpepper, K Collins, Kitna etc...

I believe we have an above average quarterback stuck with a below average coaching system.

For example, where was Lynch down the stretch of the most important game of the season!!!!!

The defense played really well, the ref blew a call on Leodis and the game should have been won quite easily.

This game reminded me of the Jets game where we would march down and come up with nothing.

When a team can march up the field as consistently as the BILLS have all season and not come up with points... This tells me the playcalling is TERRIBLE.

So, in conclusion, Trent Edwards is better than any other average quarterback. Take away Brady, the 2 Mannings, Favre and a few others and you notice that all TEAMS are struggling with QUARTERBACKS!

CHEERS ALL,

Chimp

Yeah, you've nailed it quite well with that statement.

justasportsfan
12-01-2008, 12:02 PM
Antowain Smith had pretty much identical numbers the SB year in NE as he did here. Only the TDs were a big enough difference to matter. 12 TDs to 8 here. 1100 yards in both years. But they got so much more out of him than we did...right!

Milloy was replaced by a guy who was better...Rodney Harrison.

Bledsoe was replaced by a guy who was better...Tom Brady.

Notice when they lose guys they replace them with guys that are better.

Meanwhile we replace guys laterally...or with a dropoff. Lynch - McGahee lateral. Fletch - Poz drop off. The only positioned we've upgraded since Mularkey is QB. Not that it matters because TE sucks too.
and who made all those decisions to replace those players? AHA! Thanks again.

We will obviously agree to disagree but with all due respect, I'll take the facts over you opinion. No offense.

Mr. Pink
12-01-2008, 12:06 PM
and who made all those decisions to replace those players? AHA! Thanks again.

We will obviously agree to disagree but with all due respect, I'll take the facts over you opinion. No offense.

The head coach has nothing to do with the decision of bringing players in.

That's what the front office is for. That goes on the talent evaluators and GM.

Which is EXACTLY what I've said the problem here has been all along, we have inferior talent compared to the good teams of the league.

Thanks for agreeing with me finally.

Luisito23
12-01-2008, 12:06 PM
I believe we have an above average quarterback

Please tell me what makes TE an above average QB?...Is it his fantastic throwing motion? his rocket of an arm? is it his ability to make the players around him better or is it his special magic to play well in bad weather?

justasportsfan
12-01-2008, 12:10 PM
The head coach has nothing to do with the decision of bringing players in.

That's what the front office is for. That goes on the talent evaluators and GM.

Which is EXACTLY what I've said the problem here has been all along, we have inferior talent compared to the good teams of the league.

Thanks for agreeing with me finally.
what ? BB doesn't tell the GM what he wants or what he needs ? If you think BB doesn't have a hand in decisions , you're clueless.

BB is the one who decides who becomes his OC/DC btw. Didn't matter if it was Weiss, Mangini or whoever it is they have now. BB knows how to pick them and devlop them.Players or Coaches the facts are there.

Mr. Pink
12-01-2008, 12:12 PM
what ? BB doesn't tell the GM what he wants or what he needs ? If you think BB doesn't have a hand in decisions , you're clueless.

BB is the one who decides who becomes his OC/DC btw. Didn't matter if it was Weiss, Mangini or whoever it is they have now. BB knows how to pick them and devlop them.Players or Coaches the facts are there.

So their GM is just a figurehead who does nothing?

Why does Pioli even have a job then?

DraftBoy
12-01-2008, 12:14 PM

He is rather overrated you know, just one of the most genious drafters in the last half century...

justasportsfan
12-01-2008, 12:14 PM

Did I say that? Try rereading what I said and come back to me.

Mr. Pink
12-01-2008, 12:16 PM
Did I say that? Try rereading what I said and come back to me.

if BB makes the decisions or tells Pioli what to do...why bother having Pioli?

The New England Patriots are run like England!

Pioli is the Queen and Belichick is the Parliament!

Chimpanze
12-01-2008, 12:16 PM
Please tell me what makes TE an above average QB?...Is it his fantastic throwing motion? his rocket of an arm? is it his ability to make the players around him better or is it his special magic to play well in bad weather?

Opinions are like buttholes, we all have one!

Although I know that you dont like my posts and think I am a joke, I will still respond professionally and respect your opinions. ( and if you dont like my posts, IGNORE feature works really well )

So here it goes,

As a Bills fan who has been watching for years, I will tell you this.

A) Since Flutie, no other quarterback ( other than Trent )for the Bills has given me confidence heading into a 4rth quarter thinking that we might win a game.

B) Trent in MY OPINION, looks calm, controlled and is ready to sit in the pocket and let plays develop ( although I know that he has hit a rut in the last 4-5 games )

C) Everytime he has a Bad game, the game is still winnable going into the last few minutes.

D) And as a final opinion, when I watch guys like Kitna, Garcia, Frerotte, Boller, Dave Carr ( and others who are not playing in the NFL ), Harrington, Culpepper, AND OUR OWN JP LOSERMAN, I thank God that I am a fan of Buffalo who has a 2nd year quarterback and who looks at the moment BETTER than most of them!

Now as I stated, prior, everyone has right to an opinion. THis is mine, and until we get a SUPERSTAR, I dont see anyone coming up VIA FREE AGENT or DRAFT that will do better than TRENT!

Just to add something else, most want Jauron Fired but cant think of a GREAT replacement. Now some want Trent out,,,,,, BUT who will step in

Cheers,

I like your Levy quotes,

Chimp

tat2dmike77
12-01-2008, 12:18 PM
O and btw... is it possible that Edwards was benched today with a fictitious "groin injury"?

The infamous "groin injury" strikes again

justasportsfan
12-01-2008, 12:18 PM
if BB makes the decisions or tells Pioli what to do...why bother having Pioli?

The New England Patriots are run like England!

Pioli is the Queen and Belichick is the Parliament!
coach tells GM what he needs. GM finds the talent. It's really easy even Saburz can do it.

tat2dmike77
12-01-2008, 12:19 PM

If you ask my cousin she will say and i quote. "He is cute that is why he should be playing"

yordad
12-01-2008, 12:35 PM
At this point, I do not think TE is the guy. I was thinking he could be for quite a while, but now I think it was wishful thinking.

His confidence and cold weather arm are both horrible. But, I figure a horrible cold weather arm will breed low confidence.

JD
12-01-2008, 03:20 PM

Most accurate post in this thread. Some people have to take off the blinders.

Jan Reimers
12-01-2008, 03:24 PM
I don't really know, but I'm becoming less and less enamored of him with each start. One good game against an abominable Chief's team didn't really change my thinking, either.

Michael82
12-01-2008, 04:35 PM
Sorry, but I don't see it. I could him going to a team down south and playing really well for them. Or maybe going to a dome team and being successful. But as of now, he's awful in the cold, crappy weather.

Mahdi
12-01-2008, 04:37 PM
Most accurate post in this thread. Some people have to take off the blinders.
I understand the argument that he is only a second year QB but my problem with Trent is that he RARELY makes a throw that impresses me. How many times have we seen him make a play that WOWs us?

However when you think of young QBs like Cutler and Manning and even Thigpen as we saw, they seem to struggle at times yes, but they also show you that they can make plays as well. You get the good with the bad.

When is the last tough throw that Trent made that impressed? He's a been a game manager so far settling for the simple throws that require no talent to complete.

He is going to have to show a lot more than that if he wants to prove that he has the potential to be our QB moving forward.

Philagape
12-01-2008, 04:59 PM
I understand the argument that he is only a second year QB but my problem with Trent is that he RARELY makes a throw that impresses me. How many times have we seen him make a play that WOWs us?

However when you think of young QBs like Cutler and Manning and even Thigpen as we saw, they seem to struggle at times yes, but they also show you that they can make plays as well. You get the good with the bad.

When is the last tough throw that Trent made that impressed? He's a been a game manager so far settling for the simple throws that require no talent to complete.

He is going to have to show a lot more than that if he wants to prove that he has the potential to be our QB moving forward.

The 37-yard pass to set up the go-ahead TD in Jax (while avoiding rush)
The TD pass to Parrish against Oakland on which he was about to be mauled
TD bombs to Evans in stride against the Rams this year and Miami (in DECEMBER) last year
The 30-yard pass against the Skins (in DECEMBER)

People are talking like the way Trent has been playing lately defines his career and are forgetting that it looks nothing like the Trent of his first five games this year and several times in his rookie year. He used to regularly make the intermediate throws; that's one of the things that set him apart last year.
He's still done more good than bad this year.
It's one thing to question whether he can take the next step or wonder if he's regressed, but revising history is just that. A "game manager" doesn't lead fourth-Q comebacks like Trent has.

Mahdi
12-01-2008, 11:09 PM
TD bombs to Evans in stride against the Rams this year and Miami (in DECEMBER) last year

People are talking like the way Trent has been playing lately defines his career and are forgetting that it looks nothing like the Trent of his first five games this year and several times in his rookie year. He used to regularly make the intermediate throws; that's one of the things that set him apart last year.
It's one thing to question whether he can take the next step or wonder if he's regressed, but revising history is just that. A "game manager" doesn't lead fourth-Q comebacks like Trent has.
See you're proving my point exactly. Those are the throws that stick out in your mind because he hasn't made that many. And the common thing about those throws is that none of them are darts. Sure they took some poise to hit them but they dont require that much talent.

How many times does Trent throw the deep slant? How many times has he thrown the skinny post? or the deep in? The common thing about those throws is that they are all approximately 15 yards and require strength and accuracy. The other common thing about those throws is that its those throws that beat the defenses we have been facing. When defenses run their safeties deep and use their LBs to cover all the short zones the way to beat it is to throw the routes I mentioned because they are behind the LBs and in front of the safeties. But for some reason Trent NEVER throws them. He always settles for the short throws in front of the LBs and hopes his guy breaks a tackle.

That has always been my problem with Trent and DCs have figured it out and are taking advantage of his inability to make those throws.

Philagape
12-01-2008, 11:37 PM
You can take any list of anything and pick the top ones, that doesn't mean they're the only ones. Like I said, the intermediate routes were his strength, the 15-20 range. Lately he's been gun-shy, and that's a psychological thing. He's capable.

Kenny
12-02-2008, 12:12 AM

I'll give you the Skins game last year... that was one of the best throws I've seen from any QB in a long time.

But there's no way we should have been in those situations late in the 4th Quarter against those teams. The Rams? The Raiders? Jacksonville? I mean come on! Im guessing if we played the Lions, we'd probably only have a field goal to show for until the final 2mins, and ask for Trent to win the game?
What happens when we face a decent/good team? oh wait... we have, and we've lost.

I know this is Trent's 2nd year, but there's no way I have the same confidence in him as I would during Cutler's, or Eli's, etc... 2nd year.
He's got a (potentially) great football IQ, with average-at-best tangibles (reminds me of Pennington, but with less experience at this point, and a slightly stronger arm). He doesnt have the arm of Cutler, and doesnt have the accuracy or smarts of Eli.
What he's shown is that he can play really well for 1 quarter against some of the worst teams in the league, and then look like an undrafted rookie that hasnt practiced all week against good teams.

He might be good in a dome, -but in the Buffalo, he has constantly played like crap in every weather game.

And this isnt a JP vs TE post... I totally agree that JP is a bust and shouldnt be given time on the field. But the reason he was given so many chances is because of his tangibles... incredibly strong arm, -but unfortunately he's a ****** compared to TE in the intangibles area.

And while I'll give TE the rest of the season, -better show something against the 3 next division games, or else I think we should find someone else.
We're not going to go anywhere with a QB that can play good enough just to win against the leagues worst, and then lose games against the good teams.

Philagape
12-02-2008, 12:23 AM
I'll give you the Skins game last year... that was one of the best throws I've seen from any QB in a long time.

But there's no way we should have been in those situations late in the 4th Quarter against those teams. The Rams? The Raiders? Jacksonville? I mean come on! Im guessing if we played the Lions, we'd probably only have a field goal to show for until the final 2mins, and ask for Trent to win the game?
What happens when we face a decent/good team? oh wait... we have, and we've lost.

I know this is Trent's 2nd year, but there's no way I have the same confidence in him as I would during Cutler's, or Eli's, etc... 2nd year.
He's got a (potentially) great football IQ, with average-at-best tangibles (reminds me of Pennington, but with less experience at this point, and a slightly stronger arm). He doesnt have the arm of Cutler, and doesnt have the accuracy or smarts of Eli.
What he's shown is that he can play really well for 1 quarter against some of the worst teams in the league, and then look like an undrafted rookie that hasnt practiced all week against good teams.

He might be good in a dome, -but in the Buffalo, he has constantly played like crap in every weather game.

And this isnt a JP vs TE post... I totally agree that JP is a bust and shouldnt be given time on the field. But the reason he was given so many chances is because of his tangibles... incredibly strong arm, -but unfortunately he's a ****** compared to TE in the intangibles area.

And while I'll give TE the rest of the season, -better show something against the 3 next division games, or else I think we should find someone else.
We're not going to go anywhere with a QB that can play good enough just to win against the leagues worst, and then lose games against the good teams.

I agree with most of that. The offense has had other problems besides him, but he really needs to take his development to the next level.
The question was about "wow" throws, so I listed some.

Kenny
12-02-2008, 10:13 AM
I agree with most of that. The offense has had other problems besides him, but he really needs to take his development to the next level.
The question was about "wow" throws, so I listed some.

Agreed, TE has had some moments, -but there hasnt anything done as of yet that has shown he'll be anything but an average QB. Plus there's nothing physically appealing with him... his scrambing ability? his big arm?

And frankly, -unless you have Baltimore's, or the Bucs defense, you need alot more from the QB position.

Philagape
12-02-2008, 10:28 AM
Agreed, TE has had some moments, -but there hasnt anything done as of yet that has shown he'll be anything but an average QB. Plus there's nothing physically appealing with him... his scrambing ability? his big arm?

And frankly, -unless you have Baltimore's, or the Bucs defense, you need alot more from the QB position.

He's shown intelligence beyond his experience before. The league has caught up to him, and he's not handled it well so far, but he's shown enough to give him a chance to take the next step. His physical aspects are not a liability; he's proven he can make any throw, and his mobility is just fine. He ran pretty strong and gutsy last week. Smart QBs have been stars with no greater physical attributes.
He's plenty capable; he has to get his mentality right, learn to beat 3-4 defenses and stay healthy. I don't know if he can, but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt for now.

Mahdi
12-02-2008, 10:30 AM
You can take any list of anything and pick the top ones, that doesn't mean they're the only ones. Like I said, the intermediate routes were his strength, the 15-20 range. Lately he's been gun-shy, and that's a psychological thing. He's capable.
His STRENGTH is the 15-20 yard range??? How do you figure that? When does he ever throw in that range?

Like I said where is the deep slant and deep in and skinny post patterns? Those are all common throws in the NFL and I never see him make that throw.

If Trent ever gets 15 yard gains its because Reed or Evans run for an extra 7-10 yards after the catch.

If the 15-20 yard range was truly his strength than he would be beating the defenses we have faced routinely and we would have a couple more wins.

justasportsfan
12-02-2008, 10:56 AM
Philagape sounds like a licker now. :snicker:

Philagape
12-02-2008, 11:24 AM
His STRENGTH is the 15-20 yard range??? How do you figure that? When does he ever throw in that range?

Like I said where is the deep slant and deep in and skinny post patterns? Those are all common throws in the NFL and I never see him make that throw.

If Trent ever gets 15 yard gains its because Reed or Evans run for an extra 7-10 yards after the catch.

If the 15-20 yard range was truly his strength than he would be beating the defenses we have faced routinely and we would have a couple more wins.

I said it WAS his strength. He used to make them frequently, and still occasionally (He threw a deep in to Evans on Sunday). I think your anger over his play is making you forget what he's done before. What you're saying is just not true. There's plenty to criticize him over; there's no need for revisionist history.
If you want numbers, he's attempted 63 passes in the 11-20 range -- that's ball in the air -- and completed over 60 percent of them. Plus 26 attempts longer than that.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/splits?playerId=10536
I wish he'd do it more too. He's good at them. He's holding back. But be honest, he's made plenty of them before.

Mahdi
12-02-2008, 12:17 PM
I said it WAS his strength. He used to make them frequently, and still occasionally (He threw a deep in to Evans on Sunday). I think your anger over his play is making you forget what he's done before. What you're saying is just not true. There's plenty to criticize him over; there's no need for revisionist history.
If you want numbers, he's attempted 63 passes in the 11-20 range -- that's ball in the air -- and completed over 60 percent of them. Plus 26 attempts longer than that.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/splits?playerId=10536
I wish he'd do it more too. He's good at them. He's holding back. But be honest, he's made plenty of them before.
The splits for attempts by distance include completed passes where the receiver runs after the catch... its not only passes that travel 11-20 yards in the air.

Otherwise you're saying that they discounted completions where the receiver ran after the catch... doesn't make sense.

The Natrix
12-02-2008, 12:39 PM
Yes, he is the future as far as the first few games of next season. If he fails, there needs to be an alternative plan that doesn't consist of Losman or Hamdan (most likely)

I'd like to see a QB drafted somewhere after the first round and/or a veteran brought in to push Edwards.

My opinion on Edwards started to change when I heard his pre-game comments before the jets game. He sounded like no matter what happens, he is satisfied with his career already. The whole "sitting around telling the grand kids about playing against Brett Favre" thing rubbed me the wrong way. At least Losman said he wants to win multiple superbowls.

I question Edwards heart, play in cold weather, and ability to keep his confidence up when things start going wrong.

Philagape
12-02-2008, 01:39 PM
The splits for attempts by distance include completed passes where the receiver runs after the catch... its not only passes that travel 11-20 yards in the air.

Otherwise you're saying that they discounted completions where the receiver ran after the catch... doesn't make sense.

They didn't discount YAC; the yards gained for each split include that. The categories measure the ball in the air from the line of scrimmage to the receiver.
For example, it says he's completed three passes in the 31-40 range for 129 yards; that 129 must include YAC.

Chimpanze
12-02-2008, 03:55 PM
Once again, all of you are splitting hairs.

With all the negative thoughts about Edwards, I have yet to see one poster mention a possible replacement! ( and one that hasnt been recycled 2-3 times already a la Boller, Harrington, etc. )

Lets tough out the season, and then lets see what he does in year 3 of his career. Beyond year 3, I feel it would be time to go shopping!

Or nevermind, lets go sign Brad Johnson, or Simms, or etc...! LOL!

Oaf
12-02-2008, 05:54 PM
He's the QB of the future if you want to be a mediocre team forever.
GEEZ, I just cannot STAND looking at you're avatar and sig everytime you post. Nothing at all against your posts but I'm putting you on ignore. Someone let me know if he changes it up. Is this Gr8Slayer?

Mahdi
12-02-2008, 06:56 PM
They didn't discount YAC; the yards gained for each split include that. The categories measure the ball in the air from the line of scrimmage to the receiver.
For example, it says he's completed three passes in the 31-40 range for 129 yards; that 129 must include YAC.
Exactly so he could have thrown 3 passes that traveled 7 yards in the air each but resulted in 129 yards worth of pass yardage when you factor in YAC, which doesnt prove that he does or is good at throwing passes in that range.

Typ0
12-02-2008, 06:58 PM
Exactly so he could have thrown 3 passes that traveled 7 yards in the air each but resulted in 129 yards worth of pass yardage when you factor in YAC, which doesnt prove that he does or is good at throwing passes in that range.

no it says 3 passes in the 31-40 range. That means, those passes that totaled 129 net yards were all completed in the 31-40 range.

Mahdi
12-02-2008, 07:04 PM
Once again, all of you are splitting hairs.

With all the negative thoughts about Edwards, I have yet to see one poster mention a possible replacement! ( and one that hasnt been recycled 2-3 times already a la Boller, Harrington, etc. )

Lets tough out the season, and then lets see what he does in year 3 of his career. Beyond year 3, I feel it would be time to go shopping!

Or nevermind, lets go sign Brad Johnson, or Simms, or etc...! LOL!
If Trent doesnt show something encouraging by the end of the season then I would sign Matt Cassell in the offseason. Its not like we invested a ton in Trent. He's only a 3rd round pick.

And for those of you who would say that its TOO soon to give up on Trent, that's simply not the case. He would have 16 starts plus the 9 from last year. Thats 25 games as the starting QB in a row. If you cant get your act together by then and at least show that you can make NFL caliber throws needed to beat any defense a DC can throw at you then it most likely wont happen.

And just to prove that Trent cant make certain throws... DCs have been throwing the SAME defense at him for 5 weeks now and he cant beat it. Any Qb/OC combo with half a brain between them would figure out which pass patterns beat that defense. I dont believe the problem is that Trent and Schoenert cant figure it out. I believe Trent cant execute the throw needed to beat the defense that DCs have been stumping us with.

Philagape
12-02-2008, 07:13 PM

If he had done that, they would be in the 1-10 range.
If the ranges included YAC, then three completions in the 31-40 range could only add up to 120 yards at the most, not 129. Do the math.

If the ranges depend on YAC, why do they include incompletions?
What does it mean that he has 47 incompletions in the 1-10 range and 25 in the 11-20 range? What's the difference between those other than the length of the pass?? That's what the splits refer to, this is a fact.

Mahdi
12-02-2008, 07:46 PM
If he had done that, they would be in the 1-10 range.
If the ranges included YAC, then three completions in the 31-40 range could only add up to 120 yards at the most, not 129. Do the math.

If the ranges depend on YAC, why do they include incompletions?
What does it mean that he has 47 incompletions in the 1-10 range and 25 in the 11-20 range? What's the difference between those other than the length of the pass?? That's what the splits refer to, this is a fact.
The proof that they use YAC in the length of the completion is in the exact stat you are talking about....

You're telling me that Trent completed 15 passes this year over 31 yards without YAC?

I dont know where I have been but im pretty sure Trent hasnt had 15 bombs completed this year. I know Evans only has 2 or 3 himself and I know no one else has caught any deep passes. Those 15 completions of 31+ yards include the YAC in it. Which means the rest do to.

When it says that he has 47 incompletions in the 21-30 yards range it means that he attempted to throw 47 passes in that range and they were not completed. Thats all.

Typ0
12-02-2008, 07:53 PM
If Trent doesnt show something encouraging by the end of the season then I would sign Matt Cassell in the offseason. Its not like we invested a ton in Trent. He's only a 3rd round pick.

And for those of you who would say that its TOO soon to give up on Trent, that's simply not the case. He would have 16 starts plus the 9 from last year. Thats 25 games as the starting QB in a row. If you cant get your act together by then and at least show that you can make NFL caliber throws needed to beat any defense a DC can throw at you then it most likely wont happen.

And just to prove that Trent cant make certain throws... DCs have been throwing the SAME defense at him for 5 weeks now and he cant beat it. Any Qb/OC combo with half a brain between them would figure out which pass patterns beat that defense. I dont believe the problem is that Trent and Schoenert cant figure it out. I believe Trent cant execute the throw needed to beat the defense that DCs have been stumping us with.

I think if TE turns into uber QB for the next four games we definately should sign the best other QB we can sign. We desparately need production from that position. Sign Jeff Garcia for christ sakes and let them battle it out for the starts. We need the best guy we can get in that position and can't stand for having crap any more. TE has gotten his opportunity now he has to do the work, prepare well and perform on Sundays.

Philagape
12-02-2008, 08:20 PM
The proof that they use YAC in the length of the completion is in the exact stat you are talking about....

You're telling me that Trent completed 15 passes this year over 31 yards without YAC?

I dunno where you got that number; according to the splits, he attempted nine and completed four over 31 yards.

When it says that he has 47 incompletions in the 21-30 yards range it means that he attempted to throw 47 passes in that range and they were not completed. Thats all.

Yes, therefore it can only refer to the length of the pass.

Ickybaluky
12-02-2008, 08:55 PM
I think Edwards has gone through some growing pains, like most young QB do. From what I've seen of him, I think the Bills would be nuts to get rid of him. He possesses everything necessary to be a good QB in the NFL, and is a guy they can build around.

The Bills offense isn't far off, IMO. They need to get a TE badly, it has been a long time since they had a good one. That would help Edwards as much as anything. They could use an upgrade at C and maybe a more consistent possession guy opposite Evans (although a TE who could be a more consistent threat would make that less of a need). Other than that, they really have the pieces on offense.

Defense is another matter. As small as they are up front, they need to play with a lot of team speed. They don't have the penetrators up front that a top Tampa-2 team needs, especially with Schobel hurt. The key to running the Tampa-2 effectively is having a front-4 that can disrupt and pressure. McCargo being a bust has really hurt them, they needed him to a disruptive player because of where he was drafted. Without him they are left with just Schobel for pass rush and Stroud as a stout presence. Kyle Williams gives great effort but is a reserve, and Kelsey isn't enough of a disruptor. They have too many JAGs up front, especially with Schobel hurt, to run an effective Tampa-2.

Their depth is suspect as well.

justasportsfan
12-02-2008, 09:34 PM
I think Edwards has gone through some growing pains, like most young QB do. From what I've seen of him, I think the Bills would be nuts to get rid of him. He possesses everything necessary to be a good QB in the NFL, and is a guy they can build around.

this is what I believe as well. But his growth will be hampered by a coach thats conservative. We need an OC who knows how to stick it to a team using his qb's strengths instead of simply dinking and dunking because they're too chicken that they're playing not to lose.

Mahdi
12-02-2008, 10:55 PM
I dunno where you got that number; according to the splits, he attempted nine and completed four over 31 yards.

Yes, therefore it can only refer to the length of the pass.
I think we are looking at different stats... I was looking at the By pass attempt split. Probably a lil different.

One interesting thing I stumbled on though while looking at the splits....

Trent has never thrown a pass this year out of the I formation... No wonder we dont have any play action. We only run out of the I. Never throw. Opponents probably realize that and that might be a reason we have had difficulty running the football. We are predictable.

Stewie
12-03-2008, 08:24 AM
the sloppy mechanics are due to lack of confidence. He didn't forget how to set up and throw over the last month.

guys, he's 25 years old. Think about how young and stupid we all were at 25. How well did you deal with adversity at 25?

Like all young qb's, he needs to be given time. How much time is debatable, but two full years with the same personnel and the same coaching staff is a good start.

There are a few disconcerting facts with Trent. The most obvious to me is his lack of trust in the deep ball. For whatever reason, he's just not putting it out there, and defenses are playing accordingly. However, I think once he snaps out of the funk, this will take care of it self. Having Lee Evans helps, too.

Bills fans: get longer memories. The season is not the sum of the last few weeks. Neither is Trents career.

Ickybaluky
12-03-2008, 08:42 AM
the sloppy mechanics are due to lack of confidence. He didn't forget how to set up and throw over the last month.

guys, he's 25 years old. Think about how young and stupid we all were at 25. How well did you deal with adversity at 25?

Like all young qb's, he needs to be given time. How much time is debatable, but two full years with the same personnel and the same coaching staff is a good start.

There are a few disconcerting facts with Trent. The most obvious to me is his lack of trust in the deep ball. For whatever reason, he's just not putting it out there, and defenses are playing accordingly. However, I think once he snaps out of the funk, this will take care of it self. Having Lee Evans helps, too.

I agree with you with the lack of confidence.

Early in the season he was making decisions quickly and getting the ball out on time. Over the most recent stretch he has been holding it and waiting for guys to break open before throwing. I think he was in a groove early and playing with confidence, while lately he seems hesitant because he doesn't want to make mistakes.

I'm sure part of that is the way teams changed how they defended the offense. As a young guy, he has to adjust as well. It takes time, but he will work through it.

When he plays with confidence and gets the ball out quickly, he looks like he is going to be a very good QB. I think he can do pretty much everything you want a QB to do, he just needs time to learn to adjust. I still think he has a bright future.