PDA

View Full Version : DOLPHINS: News of the day 5/5

Gunzlingr
05-05-2003, 09:04 AM
By Alex Marvez
Sun-Sentinel
Posted May 5 2003

Backup fullback Deon Dyer said he doesn't care exactly how much the scale reads during weigh-ins. Dyer must now convince the Dolphins to feel the same way by dropping some excess pounds.

Dolphins coach Dave Wannstedt acknowledged that Dyer was one of "six or eight" players who entered the team's first minicamp above their target weight. The Dolphins list Dyer's dimensions at 5-foot-11 and 255 pounds.

"Deon's got to lose a little weight," Wannstedt said. "We probably have six or eight guys that have to lose weight, but nothing unusual. This is the time to do it. We've got a couple of months before camp."

MORE (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-504dolphinsdyer,0,6137875.story?coll=sfla%2Ddolphins%2Dfront)

Gunzlingr
05-05-2003, 09:05 AM
By Karen Crouse, Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
Monday, May 5, 2003

DAVIE -- Labels, Donald Lee will tell you in a voice as rich and savory as his mama's chicken gravy, are for clothing and canned goods. He has worked hard his whole life to avoid easy classification.

Lee is touted as a blocking tight end, but has impressed the Dolphins' coaches with his catches in the first three days of his first NFL mini-camp.

He was placed in special education classes in grade school but made the academic honor roll in college.

He grew up in a depressed Mississippi hamlet but is rich in optimism.

Lee is proof positive that winners aren't born, they're reared. The tale of how Lee proceeded from a graduating class of 15 at Maben High to the 156th overall selection in this year's NFL Draft --with four years at Mississippi State in between -- is a story of faith, love and cellphones

MORE (http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/auto/epaper/editions/monday/sports_e35b3e80c46650520057.html)

Gunzlingr
05-05-2003, 09:06 AM
Alex Marvez
Sun-Sentinel

When the NFL Draft ended, it didn't appear any of the Dolphins' nine selections had a legitimate shot at cracking the starting lineup in 2003.

And then the Dolphins did an about-face on second-round pick Eddie Moore.

After initially saying he would work as a backup at weak-side linebacker behind Junior Seau, Dolphins coach Dave Wannstedt instead placed the 6-foot, 237-pound Moore at strong-side linebacker to compete with Morlon Greenwood for a spot with the first-team defense.

"Eddie is an athletic guy," Dolphins linebackers coach Bob Sanders said. "He's almost the exact same size [as Greenwood]. He had a nice college career. It will be interesting to see how that battle goes."

MORE (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-405dolphinsrookie,0,5145339.story?coll=sfla%2Dsports%2Dfront)

Gunzlingr
05-05-2003, 09:07 AM
By Todd Archer, Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
Monday, May 5, 2003

DAVIE -- Coaches have to remind themselves that it is only mini-camp, but after the three-day workout came to an end Sunday, coach Dave Wannstedt came away impressed with his new players.

"The rookies, I'm excited about the talent," Wannstedt said. "Every one of these guys can play."

It wasn't just the play of second-round pick Eddie Moore, a linebacker whom Wannstedt said possibly is fast enough to line up on wide receivers, or third-round pick Wade Smith, a tackle who showed very quick feet.

Wannstedt singled out wide receivers J.R. Tolver, a fifth-round pick, and free agents Ron Bellamy (Michigan) and Jimmy Fryzel (Central Florida).

Tolver made eye-catching catches all three days, showing off the skills that helped him to catch 128 passes for 1,785 yards and 13 touchdowns last season at San Diego State. When the offense used four wide receivers, Tolver was working with the first group.

"I just wanted to show them they made a good decision in drafting me," Tolver said. "I was a little disappointed I wasn't (drafted) earlier than I was, but I'm the happiest guy in the world that I'm here."

MORE (http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/auto/epaper/editions/monday/sports_e35b3e21c466f0e300a7.html)

Gunzlingr
05-05-2003, 09:08 AM
'Door open' for Gadsden still
BY JASON COLE
jcole@herald.com

Receiver Derrius Thompson put on another impressive display during the Dolphins' first offseason camp, pulling in two catches Sunday on throws from quarterback Jay Fiedler.

Thompson, signed as a free agent this offseason, reached above his head for an intermediate throw over the middle, then made a leaping catch of a deep pass along the left sideline. Thompson's catches were strongly reminiscent of the work of free agent receiver Oronde Gadsden.

Rookie receiver J.R. Tolver also had another solid day at the Dolphins' Davie training facility.

Those two factors led to coach Dave Wannstedt's being asked if Gadsden's services were no longer needed. Wannstedt reiterated ''the door is open'' for Gadsden to return.

Gadsden, who has been with the Dolphins since 1998, has received interest from New England, Minnesota and Jacksonville. However, the Patriots and Vikings selected receivers early in the draft

MORE (http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/5787859.htm)