• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gunzlingr
    • Jul 2002

Alabama interested in Dolphins' M. Shula

By Todd Archer, Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
    Monday, May 5, 2003

DAVIE -- The fallout from the University of Alabama's firing of Mike Price as football coach could affect the Dolphins.

A university official has contacted Dave Wannstedt about potential interest in having quarterbacks coach Mike Shula return to his alma mater as the Crimson Tide's seventh head coach in school history.

Before Price was hired, Shula's name was mentioned as a possible candidate to replace Dennis Franchione, who left after just two years for Texas A&M, but he was not interviewed for the job.

Shula was a three-year starter at Alabama from 1984-86. He threw for 3,881 yards and 33 touchdowns and 30 interceptions. He was a two-time All-Southeastern Conference pick and led the Tide to wins in the Aloha Bowl and Sun Bowl his last two years.

In recent years, Alabama's program has taken several hits and is under NCAA probation. Former coach Mike DuBose was let go after a 3-8 season in 2000, two years after surviving a sexual harassment complaint filed by his former secretary. Franchione, DuBose's replacement, did not address his players after accepting the Texas A&M job

MORE
    You think you're hot **** in a champagne glass, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup!
  • gunzlingr
    • Jul 2002

By Alex Marvez and Michael Cunningham
    Sun-Sentinel

Dolphins quarterbacks coach Mike Shula is one of the leading candidates to become the new coach at the University of Alabama.

Dolphins coach Dave Wannstedt said Crimson Tide Athletic Director Mal Moore contacted him Sunday to express his interest in Shula for the position. The vacancy was created Saturday when university officials fired Mike Price because of behavior issues.

"Technically, [Moore] did not have to get permission to talk to Mike, but he felt it was the right thing to do," Wannstedt said. "We talked a lot about Mike. Obviously, I endorsed him. Mike is excited about the opportunity, and thinks it's good for him and his family."

MORE
    You think you're hot **** in a champagne glass, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup!

Comment

• gunzlingr
      • Jul 2002

Mike Shula appears to be a strong candidate for the coaching job at the University of Alabama after athletic director Mal Moore requested permission from Dolphins coach Dave Wannstedt to speak with the team's quarterbacks coach.

Shula and Wannstedt confirmed the inquiry from Alabama, which fired Mike Price on Saturday in the wake of an incident that included his visit to a topless bar.

A source close to the coaching search said Moore and Alabama president Robert E. Witt were flying to South Florida to meet with Shula, although neither Shula nor Wannstedt would confirm that.

''Dave told me he was contacted by somebody at the university who said there might be interest,'' Shula said Sunday as the Dolphins completed their first offseason camp. ``I'm an [alumnus] and I love Alabama. That's really all I have to say. I have to wait and hear more about what it might be.''

MORE

Comment

Working...
      X