PDA

View Full Version : Is Poz the great white hype?

billsfanone
12-01-2008, 10:03 AM
He's average at best.

OpIv37
12-01-2008, 10:07 AM
The dude has completely disappeared over the last month or so.

Tatonka
12-01-2008, 10:08 AM
yeah.. he is a huge disappointment. digi was actually better. Pos just doesnt stand out. you need a stud at middle linebacker.

shame patrick willis went a few picks before ours. we could have had willis and michael turner.

HHURRICANE
12-01-2008, 10:09 AM
What's sad is watching all of the linebackers play this weekend than we didn't get or could have gotten. Beason looked great.

TacklingDummy
12-01-2008, 10:10 AM
To bad the Bills couldn't have lost 1 extra game in 2006. We could have jumped ahead of San Fran and drafted Patrick Willis. I'd rather have P.Willis over Lynch.

Mr. Pink
12-01-2008, 10:11 AM
I said it at the time, not trying to resign Fletch was a HUGE mistake.

I got laughed at about it.

Still think it was the right way to go?

Tatonka
12-01-2008, 10:12 AM
i think the redskins defense sucks too.

RockStar36
12-01-2008, 10:12 AM

Yep.

Mr. Pink
12-01-2008, 10:14 AM
Our Defense would be much better with Fletch leading them.

He's a better player than Poz, has leadership abilities and is well respected around the league.

Poz couldn't carry Fletch's jocky strap and never will.

RockStar36
12-01-2008, 10:15 AM
Fletch would be doing nothing in Buffalo. If I'm gonna choose between two players doing nothing, I'll take the cheaper.

Mr. Pink
12-01-2008, 10:18 AM
Fletch would be doing nothing in Buffalo. If I'm gonna choose between two players doing nothing, I'll take the cheaper.

Doing nothing?

Even if Fletch made exactly the same amount of plays that Poz has made on the year, he'd still be light years ahead of him.

Why?

Veteran leadership and knowledge of defensive calls.

Poz doesn't know where he should be half the time, yet he's the one calling the defensive signals and assignments pre-snap.

You don't think our D would look much better with a more savvy and intelligent MLB?

Boomstick
12-01-2008, 10:18 AM
This is a generic defensive scheme... No player roaming such like Sanders or Palomalu. The scheme uses the kid more like a coverage guy most of the time, which isn't a strength of his. There are some talented players on this D, if this damn Tampa 2 or whatever was changed we would see the real talents of alot of these kids.
That being said, hes decent, not great but decent.

RockStar36
12-01-2008, 10:20 AM
Doing nothing?

Even if Fletch made exactly the same amount of plays that Poz has made on the year, he'd still be light years ahead of him.

Why?

Veteran leadership and knowledge of defensive calls.

Poz doesn't know where he should be half the time, yet he's the one calling the defensive signals and assignments pre-snap.

You don't think our D would look much better with a more savvy and intelligent MLB?

And what would that get them? Nothing. The overall scheme sucks so it wouldn't matter. Do our D looks better. Big deal. That doesn't even fix 4% of the problems this team has.

Jan Reimers
12-01-2008, 10:20 AM
Poz has been a major disappointment. But could it be our defensive schemes that keep him in shackles?

Mr. Pink
12-01-2008, 10:23 AM
And what would that get them? Nothing. The overall scheme sucks so it wouldn't matter. Do our D looks better. Big deal. That doesn't even fix 4% of the problems this team has.

Maybe it means we don't allow a big third down conversion here and there because Fletch reads the play and knows how to adjust to it.

Maybe it leads to a turnover because again Fletch has more football smarts.

Yes, this team has lots of problems now and it wouldn't fix all of them however it would fix one of them...there would be a lot less poor defensive calls on the field.

OpIv37
12-01-2008, 10:23 AM

I was at the Redskins game this weekend and I watched Fletch as much as possible. The dude tore it up. He had 14 tackles (11 solo), including at least 2 for a loss or no gain. And I saw him save a touchdown by taking away a crossing route in pass coverage.

He can still flat out play. Letting him walk was a huge mistake. He's expensive, but he's worth it.

RockStar36
12-01-2008, 10:26 AM
What did they win with Fletch here? Nothing.

Mr. Pink
12-01-2008, 10:28 AM

That's an asinine statement and you know it.

What have they won with any of the players they have now? Nothing.

Cut everyone! Go with a whole new roster.

RockStar36
12-01-2008, 10:30 AM
That's an asinine statement and you know it.

What have they won with any of the players they have now? Nothing.

Cut everyone! Go with a whole new roster.

I didn't say cut everyone. But with his age and the fact that they didn't win him for how many years...5?...I didn't think it was a terrible decision to move on. And I don't think Poz is terrible. This is his first full year. How good was Fletch in his first full year? There are so many other players on this team to point the finger at before we point it at Poz.

OpIv37
12-01-2008, 10:30 AM

What did they win with Moulds here? What did they win with OJ Simpson here? What did the Lions win with Barry Sanders there? Does that automatically mean those guys aren't any good?

In case you forgot, we had the #2 D in the league for 2 of Fletcher's 4 years here. The problem was a complete lack of offense.

RockStar36
12-01-2008, 10:31 AM
What did they win with Moulds here? What did they win with OJ Simpson here? What did the Lions win with Barry Sanders there? Does that automatically mean those guys aren't any good?

In case you forgot, we had the #2 D in the league for 2 of Fletcher's 4 years here. The problem was a complete lack of offense.

Was that because of Fletcher or the guy who was running the D?

OpIv37
12-01-2008, 10:31 AM
I didn't say cut everyone. But with his age and the fact that they didn't win him for how many years...5?...I didn't think it was a terrible decision to move on. And I don't think Poz is terrible. This is his first full year. How good was Fletch in his first full year? There are so many other players on this team to point the finger at before we point it at Poz.

If we had Fletch we could move Poz to Ellison's spot and that alone would make this D a LOT better.

mchurchfie
12-01-2008, 10:33 AM

That defense was good statistically but on the field it was almost as bad as this defense. Couldn't stop a third down conversion to save its life and couldn't make that meaningful stop when the game was on the line...EVER.

justasportsfan

Fletch actually would've done better since Fewell likes to drop our lbers into coverage. But against the run, the guy is useless.

OpIv37
Was that because of Fletcher or the guy who was running the D?

It was a combination of things, just like the fact that the team didn't win anything when Fletch was here was a combination of things. You tried to make the case that the team won nothing when Fletcher was here, but winning or losing can rarely be traced to just one player. It's inaccurate to say the Bills had the #2 D because of Fletcher alone, and it's just as inaccurate to say Fletcher was why we didn't win anything while he was here.

I live in Skins country. Skins fans and the local media gush about Fletcher all the time. I got to see why with my own eyes yesterday. The guy can play, period.

Mr. Pink
If we had Fletch we could move Poz to Ellison's spot and that alone would make this D a LOT better.

Naw, we shoulda kept Fletch and never drafted Poz. Using that pick to upgrade or try to upgrade another weakness.

Instead of upgrading anywhere, we release our good players or let them leave then draft their replacement.

Meanwhile we're sitting mired in mediocrity spinning our wheels and going nowhere because we have no core to build around and no veteran leadership to turn to.

OpIv37
12-01-2008, 10:34 AM
Fletch actually would've done better since Fewell likes to drop our lbers into coverage. But against the run, the guy is useless.

he dropped the RB for a loss twice yesterday.

yordad
12-01-2008, 10:36 AM
I don't think anyone on here is in any position to grade the intangibles Poz brings to the game. How the heck do any of you know how good Poz leads on the field or how much leading is asked of him?

I like Poz. If him and Fletch are even I take Poz based on upside.

OpIv37
12-01-2008, 10:36 AM
Maybe it means we don't allow a big third down conversion here and there because Fletch reads the play and knows how to adjust to it.

he did that yesterday, right in front of me. It was a 3rd and goal and he read the play and doubled the receiver, which forced a sack and a FG attempt rather than a TD.

Mr. Pink
12-01-2008, 10:37 AM

Come on, he only makes tackles five yards up field...

Didn't you learn that from people on this board over the past few years?

Meanwhile, when has Poz ever made a tackle in the backfield? I can't think of one.

Poz doesn't fit the scheme and never has. If he has talent, which I'm not completely sure of, because I don't remember him being really someone I worried about as an Ohio State fan, it doesn't show in this Defense.

He was a wasted pick and his career will go down as nothing if he doesn't get out of here quickly or if we don't ditch the scheme.

Mr. Pink
12-01-2008, 10:38 AM
I don't think anyone on here is in any position to grade the intangibles Poz brings to the game. How the heck do any of you know how good Poz leads on the field or how much leading is asked of him?

And that's my problem.

In this scheme, Poz has no upside.

He doesn't fit it.

OpIv37
12-01-2008, 10:38 AM

This is one of the problems with the Buffalo Bills. They neglect primary responsibilities for secondary ones. We have LB's who can't play defense because they play ST's, WR's who are fast or good blockers but mediocre receivers, we have starters on D who have "intangibles" but don't play their position particularly well. I'll take straight up talent and playmaking ability over "intangibles" any day.

justasportsfan
12-01-2008, 10:40 AM
not in this system. He was nothing but a tackling machine here. He was pushed around here.

yordad
12-01-2008, 10:43 AM
This is one of the problems with the Buffalo Bills. They neglect primary responsibilities for secondary ones. We have LB's who can't play defense because they play ST's, WR's who are fast or good blockers but mediocre receivers, we have starters on D who have "intangibles" but don't play their position particularly well. I'll take straight up talent and playmaking ability over "intangibles" any day.I really don't think the Bills cut capable backups in favor of good STs all too often. I think this is a myth. Who else is available? And who shouldn't they have cut?

SABURZFAN
12-01-2008, 10:43 AM
:z:

OpIv37
12-01-2008, 11:01 AM
I really don't think the Bills cut capable backups in favor of good STs all too often. I think this is a myth. Who else is available? And who shouldn't they have cut?

they don't look for capable back ups because they're happy with S/T play.

Maybe the issue is that they do a bad job of finding depth. But whatever the cause, there are numerous positions where we have no depth whatsoever, LB being one of them.

trapezeus
12-01-2008, 11:20 AM
poz is conlan. Shane conlan was given a lot of credit early in his career, but did very little. but when he was surrounded by more talent and wasn't asked to be the star, he played well. but even in the superbowl years, people were asking for his head because he was the slow guy.

Maybe we'll get another QB Linebacker in the draft of a dominant DE. That could be the thing to get him to be a quality LB.

gr8slayer
12-01-2008, 11:24 AM
This team misses Fletcher more than any player it has let go in the past decade.

The guy is not fit to play MLB in the C2 scheme. To play MLB in the C2 scheme you have to be a hell of an athlete with amazing hip movement to change direction quickly, Posluszny is not a hell of an athlete, nor is he a great hitter, nor is he good in coverage, nor is he a solid tackler. He's a pretty average LB in the MLB. Now move him outside, where he belongs and he might be a totally different LB.

Yet another player the Bills just thought they could plug in to the C2, I wonder when they will learn that you need special players to make that system work.