PDA

View Full Version : Who do you think is the best WR in the NFL?

BlackMetalNinja
12-01-2008, 12:00 PM
I've had this discussion with people a few times and it's always interesting to see the answers. Give your nominations and some supporting evidence.

I'll start with one of the slightly less obvious choices. Steve Smith continues to amaze me on a regular basis. Hes like 5'9 and 185 yet constantly comes down with balls he seems to have no business catching. Imagine if this guy had one of the elite QBs in the league throwing him the ball?

Dr. Lecter
12-01-2008, 12:02 PM
Andre Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald.

RockStar36
12-01-2008, 12:09 PM
Add Hines Ward to that current list. I agree with you guys as well. It's hard to choose number one guy. So many different receivers bring different things to the table.

CuseJetsFan83
12-02-2008, 05:19 AM
pure receiving, im still having a mancrush on steve smith... like BMN said he catches balls that shouldn't be caught...... plus im reminded of that one playoff game a few years ago, where he caught it and was gone to the house.

in terms of intangibles like blocking and such... hines ward is easily tops.... ask that cincy d player who got his jaw broken.

in terms of feeds off of his teammates, and in turn always seems to play well is the tandem of Larry Fitzgerald and Anquin Boldin. thats probably one of my favorite tandems in the league

Crisis
12-02-2008, 01:59 PM
moss

The King
12-02-2008, 02:04 PM
A post of Mine from 3.21.05

I think Hines Ward is the best in the NFL. He is the smartest WR with the best hands is a team player and always catches the ball. On a side note I dont think Moulds is top 10 anymore.

My List.

1.Ward
2.TO
3.Moss
4.Harrison
5.Johnson
6.Holt
7.Rod Smith
8.Bruce
9.Horn
10.Andre Johnson

Even 3 years later, I consider Ward to be the best. He makes everyone around him better, The QB, RB and WR's. He's a phenom a player like him only comes along once and a blue moon.

THATHURMANATOR
12-02-2008, 02:41 PM
Andre Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald.
YES

THATHURMANATOR
12-02-2008, 02:42 PM
Ward is awesome but clearly not the best in the game.

Mr. Pink
12-02-2008, 03:04 PM
Randy Moss, T.O. or Roddy White.

The King
12-02-2008, 03:05 PM
No Way do I even consider Moss to be top 5. He's too one dimensional.

The King
12-02-2008, 03:09 PM
Im Suprised Housmenzedah isn't getting any love. He's been really good as has Greg Jennings these two are the future elite WRS in the league

DraftBoy
12-02-2008, 05:53 PM
1. Fitz
2. TO
3. A. Johnson
4. S. Smith
5. Jennings
6. Ca. Johnson
7. White
8. Ward
9. Moss
10. Housh

Dr. Lecter
12-02-2008, 06:21 PM
Calvin Johnson is a little high (for now).

And Boldin is better than Housh.

DraftBoy
12-02-2008, 06:28 PM
Calvin Johnson is a little high (for now).

And Boldin is better than Housh.

I dont think so. Calvin has put up good numbers playing on the worst team in football and he's very underrated. He still has slight drop issues but he's getting better every game.

Dr. Lecter
12-02-2008, 06:30 PM
I dont think so. Calvin has put up good numbers playing on the worst team in football and he's very underrated. He still has slight drop issues but he's getting better every game.

Drops are a major pet peeve of mine.

Same reason why I would put Johnson ahead of TO (right now).

But Boldin is top 10. Agree? (Give it up for the FSU guy.)

DraftBoy
12-02-2008, 06:34 PM
Drops are a major pet peeve of mine.

Same reason why I would put Johnson ahead of TO (right now).

But Boldin is top 10. Agree? (Give it up for the FSU guy.)

Border line top 10, I like Housh better as a pure WR but Boldin may have the better all around game as a blocker and working back to the QB.

Mr. Pink
12-02-2008, 06:37 PM
I'd still put Ocho Cinco over Housh.

gr8slayer
12-02-2008, 06:37 PM
T.O.

yordad
12-02-2008, 06:46 PM
I'm going with Moss.

Dr. Lecter
12-02-2008, 09:12 PM
T.O.

I knew you would say that. :D

You really put him ahead of Fitz?

gr8slayer
12-02-2008, 09:15 PM

You really put him ahead of Fitz?
There's no doubt that he's a heck of a player but he has a long way to go in my opinion before he's in the same category as Moss and T.O. Both are two of the best WR's in NFL history, Fitzgerald is no doubt getting there, but he still has some aspects in his game that need vast improvements. Honestly, in my opinion it could go either way with Moss or T.O.

Jaybird
12-02-2008, 09:29 PM
Andre Johnson!!!

He runs every route possible...... fast and big. has never hd consistent QB Play, and puts up huge numbers.

Been a huge fan of his since he was at the U

Dr. Lecter
12-02-2008, 09:31 PM
There's no doubt that he's a heck of a player but he has a long way to go in my opinion before he's in the same category as Moss and T.O. Both are two of the best WR's in NFL history, Fitzgerald is no doubt getting there, but he still has some aspects in his game that need vast improvements. Honestly, in my opinion it could go either way with Moss or T.O.
And TO's brain farts/concentration lapses?

As for Moss, his talent is up there but attitude and consistency are not. For that matter TO, kinda falls into the same category. Most talented is not always the best.

BlackMetalNinja
12-02-2008, 09:46 PM

You really put him ahead of Fitz?He'd have to get off his knees for the Boys too long to really think about...

gr8slayer
12-02-2008, 10:21 PM
He'd have to get off his knees for the Boys too long to really think about...
That was a really lame attempt at humor :ill:

gr8slayer
12-02-2008, 10:21 PM
I was going back over my notes up to this point in the season and my highest graded WR to this point is Anquan Boldin, so I'll go ahead and say Boldin.

Dr. Lecter
12-02-2008, 10:31 PM
I was going back over my notes up to this point in the season and my highest graded WR to this point is Anquan Boldin, so I'll go ahead and say Boldin.

From FSU......

Bling
12-02-2008, 11:20 PM
WR is the only position in the game where I think it's ok to be selfish. So the best WR is Moss, because of his freak of nature ability. Second is TO, with Ocho Cinco third. Don't get me wrong, I love Hines Ward. I loved when I use to pick him for FF, and I love his overall game, but you're telling me that if I got to score to save my life, I want one of those arrogant *****s to take it the distance.

BlackMetalNinja
12-03-2008, 06:41 AM
That was a really lame attempt at humor :ill:No... lame would be people that claim themselves die hard fans than drop that team because they don't like the current result and pick up a team that's winning because it's just easier...

gr8slayer
12-03-2008, 07:59 AM
No... lame would be people that claim themselves die hard fans than drop that team because they don't like the current result and pick up a team that's winning because it's just easier...
:rofl: You're so clueless.

Bling
12-03-2008, 09:35 AM
No... lame would be people that claim themselves die hard fans than drop that team because they don't like the current result and pick up a team that's winning because it's just easier...

USC? :snicker:

SABURZFAN
12-03-2008, 09:41 AM
no love for Wes Welker??? all the guy does is catch passes. who needs Tom Brady? :idunno:

BlackMetalNinja
12-03-2008, 10:18 AM
USC? :snicker:Not at ALL the same... I explained that perfectly clearly.

RockStar36
12-03-2008, 11:29 AM
I still think Ward is one of the best. He does all the little things and also produces when called upon. If someone told me the Bills have a choice between Moss or Ward, I'd rather have Ward.

Boldin is no doubt great, but I'd like to see what he does next year on another team.

Johnson is also great and doesn't get enough credit. He is on a bad team, gets bad QB play, and quietly dominates the league.

madness
12-03-2008, 11:50 AM
I still think Ward is one of the best. He does all the little things

...like pulling jersey's of DBs and hitting unsuspecting defenders away from the ball and the ref's eyes.

I think he's a great receiver but he tries to pull every little dirty trick in the book to get by. A top 10 receiver doesn't need to pull that crap.

Ickybaluky
12-03-2008, 02:21 PM
I still think Ward is one of the best. He does all the little things and also produces when called upon. If someone told me the Bills have a choice between Moss or Ward, I'd rather have Ward.

I think you are letting personal bias effect your opinion.

I love Ward as a player, but he doesn't impact a game like Moss. Ward is a possession WR, he doesn't scare teams like Moss does and effect how the defense approaches a play in the same manner Moss does. Moss changes how the defense approaches a game without even catching a pass, because he is such a threat to score. The fact is they came into the league the same year, but Moss has scored 50 more TDs while in the NFL. That is a big difference when you are talking impacting the game.

Bling
12-03-2008, 02:27 PM
I think you are letting personal bias effect your opinion.

I love Ward as a player, but he doesn't impact a game like Moss. Ward is a possession WR, he doesn't scare teams like Moss does and effect how the defense approaches a play in the same manner Moss does. Moss changes how the defense approaches a game without even catching a pass, because he is such a threat to score. The fact is they came into the league the same year, but Moss has scored 50 more TDs while in the NFL. That is a big difference when you are talking impacting the game.
NE39 is a bias Patriots fan, but he's right in this case. You know if you're life is on the line, you want Brock Berlin or Drew Weatherford throwing to Randy Moss, not Hines Ward.

RockStar36
12-03-2008, 02:38 PM
I like Ward because he is a complete player. He isn't afraid of contact. He won't short arm a pass over the middle like some receivers. He will actually block for his guys. And he doesn't usually drop easy passes...also like some players.

And what he did to Rivers wasn't dirty at all. It was a 100% clean block on a guy who wasn't paying attention. Sucks for him.

Bling
12-03-2008, 02:41 PM
I like Ward because he is a complete player. He isn't afraid of contact. He won't short arm a pass over the middle like some receivers. He will actually block for his guys. And he doesn't usually drop easy passes...also like some players.

And what he did to Rivers wasn't dirty at all. It was a 100% clean block on a guy who wasn't paying attention. Sucks for him.

I do agree though. If you don't want to get hit, don't be in the play at all.

RockStar36
12-03-2008, 02:43 PM
I do agree though. If you don't want to get hit, don't be in the play at all.

The Bills fan who sit there and say Ward took a cheap shot on Rivers are probably the same fans who were cheering like crazy when Moulds leveled Bruschi on a similar style play.

PECKERWOOD
12-03-2008, 03:00 PM
I'm a big fan of Boldin, he gets my vote. I like him slightly more than Fitz, but I love both these players because they both can block, they can make huge plays down the field and they're both effective in the redzone. Man, Arizona is truly blessed to have the 2 best WR's in the NFL. My top 3:

1.) Boldin
2.) Fitzgerald
3.) Smith

RockStar36
12-03-2008, 03:07 PM
Boldin should get a ton of credit for coming back the way he did after that injury.

HughC
12-04-2008, 01:26 PM
Andre Johnson, followed closely by Anquan Boldin.

Dr. Lecter
01-22-2009, 03:04 PM
I think Fitz answered some questions in the playoffs this year.

DraftBoy
01-22-2009, 05:26 PM
I think Fitz answered some questions in the playoffs this year.

It is nice to look good every now and again...Fitzy, DRC, Thigpen...:whistle:

Stupid Jackson is screwing up my run here.

Dr. Lecter
01-22-2009, 06:38 PM
It is nice to look good every now and again...Fitzy, DRC, Thigpen...:whistle:

Stupid Jackson is screwing up my run here.
Have you ever heard the story of the blind squirrel and the acorn?

DraftBoy
01-22-2009, 07:27 PM
Have you ever heard the story of the blind squirrel and the acorn?

yes but that was once, this is now three times and if we count Colston, Erin Henderson and Ali Highsmith both making their teams as UDFA's (at high need positions) while Cox got cut, the list continues to grow and grow. Not even a blind squirrel is that good.

Mitchell55
01-23-2009, 01:06 PM
Larry Fitz. If you say anyone else your crazy.

patmoran2006
01-23-2009, 04:06 PM
3 man race.
Actually a one man race and a two-man battle for #2.

1- Fitz
2 and/or 3- Andre Johnson and Steve Smith.

I think that's fairly obvious. Honorable mention to several, but nobody else is as good as these three.

patmoran2006
01-23-2009, 04:08 PM
I think Fitz answered some questions in the playoffs this year.who had questions about him to begin with?

He's had 96+ reception, 1400+ yards receiving and 10+ TD's in three of the past four seasons.

ServoBillieves
01-26-2009, 11:22 PM
This thread was over after the second post.

Larry Fitzgerald or Andre Johnson. It's that simple.

Want to talk about pure playmakers, we'll go Steve Smith or Lee Evans with a decent quarterback (lets face it, Trent would make things work for Lee). Steve knows what to do, as does Lee, just doesn't have anyone to throw to him 16 games a year.

TheGhostofJimKelly
01-27-2009, 01:04 AM
I have to agree here with Andre Johnson and Fitz, after that it might just be a distant 3rd and so on. I still think Randy Moss is up there. I can't wait to see what Calvin Johnson will do with a QB, considering what he did with a poor one.

DraftBoy
01-27-2009, 09:32 AM
When I think of play makers Lee Evans is not high on the list. He's a good WR but I don't put him up there with Steve Smith. I agree with TGOJK, I can't wait to see CJ with a good NFL QB.

Dr. Lecter
01-27-2009, 10:41 AM
yes but that was once, this is now three times and if we count Colston, Erin Henderson and Ali Highsmith both making their teams as UDFA's (at high need positions) while Cox got cut, the list continues to grow and grow. Not even a blind squirrel is that good.

I am not going to bring up you know who, who is playing QB..........

Dr. Lecter
01-27-2009, 10:41 AM
who had questions about him to begin with?

He's had 96+ reception, 1400+ yards receiving and 10+ TD's in three of the past four seasons.

The people listing TO first.

DraftBoy
01-27-2009, 11:10 AM
I am not going to bring up you know who, who is playing QB..........

Ive already said that Jackson is holding me back, but he did look better at the end then in the beginning, though he did basically cost them that game v. PHI.

Dr. Lecter
01-27-2009, 11:35 AM
Ive already said that Jackson is holding me back, but he did look better at the end then in the beginning, though he did basically cost them that game v. PHI.

I was actually talking about somebody who plays for a team closer to you.....

DraftBoy
01-27-2009, 11:58 AM
I was actually talking about somebody who plays for a team closer to you.....

I know not of which you speak.

:couch:

And I never said he wouldnt be good, I had him as my top QB, I just didnt think at the time he was a wise pick for Atlanta. I was wrong though clearly.