PDA

View Full Version : Forked Thread: If DJ goes, does anyone else really stand out?

OpIv37
12-01-2008, 12:12 PM
Forked from: If DJ goes, who do you want? (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?postid=2749366)

I dont like the 3-4 with Ryan. I got no issue with Brian but what has he done to stand apart from others.

That's precisely the problem. Other than Cowher, does any potential replacement really stand out?

There's an old cliche that goes something like "the devil that you know is better than the devil that you don't."

I've made my dislike of Jauron clear from the moment he was hired, and at this point it's pretty easy to see why some of us were so concerned about him. But is there really any point to firing him only to hire someone else who's just as mediocre?

I bet Cowher could get 10 or 11 wins out of this roster, and I bet in a few years he could build a real winner. But there is no way in hell he'd ever coach here, and I don't see anyone else out there as being a huge upgrade. This really feels like the old Bart Simpson paradox- damned if you do, damned if you don't.

DraftBoy
12-01-2008, 12:13 PM
Steve Spragunolo!

Mr. Pink
12-01-2008, 12:14 PM
I've always been a fan of Marty Ball!

And there are three assistants who would be acceptable to me if we went that route, even if DB doesn't like one of them.

DraftBoy
12-01-2008, 12:15 PM
I've always been a fan of Marty Ball!

And there are three assistants who would be acceptable to me if we went that route, even if DB doesn't like one of them.

Well if DB doesnt like it that means the Bills will probably do it. But my track record is better than theirs in recent history so what does that tell you?

OpIv37
12-01-2008, 12:16 PM
Both of those would be an upgrade over Jauron and both are at least reasonable possibilities, but would they really have the impact that Cowher would? Would they really turn this team into a proven winner?

DraftBoy
12-01-2008, 12:17 PM
Both of those would be an upgrade over Jauron and both are at least reasonable possibilities, but would they really have the impact that Cowher would? Would they really turn this team into a proven winner?

You talk as if Cowher is some miracle worker who could right this ship with a snap of his fingers. Cowher went a long time in Pittsburgh with no results, he was almost fired a couple of times.

OpIv37
12-01-2008, 12:17 PM
Well if DB doesnt like it that means the Bills will probably do it. But my track record is better than theirs in recent history so what does that tell you?

somewhere, there's an 11-year-old with a Magic 8-ball who has a better track record than the Bills in recent history.

DraftBoy
12-01-2008, 12:18 PM
somewhere, there's an 11-year-old with a Magic 8-ball who has a better track record than the Bills in recent history.
Yes but he doesnt post here, so I get the credit instead.

SABURZFAN
12-01-2008, 12:18 PM
is Mouse Davis and Buddy Ryan still alive? there's our OC and DC. they can't be any worse. hell, get Marv's old ass out there as HC.

OpIv37
12-01-2008, 12:19 PM
You talk as if Cowher is some miracle worker who could right this ship with a snap of his fingers. Cowher went a long time in Pittsburgh with no results, he was almost fired a couple of times.

do you honestly think we would have lost the Cleveland and SF games if Cowher was coach? We're 9 points from being 8-4 and in the thick of the division hunt. It doesn't take a miracle to fix that- just competence.

Luisito23
12-01-2008, 12:22 PM
Would they really turn this team into a proven winner?

Marty definitely will...I mean even if we were to lose in the playoffs, at least we will finanlly have some kind of hope, and at least we will have fun watching them play for a change. He's a great coach, and he would get the best out of all the players here believe it! Marty ball all the way!!!

billsfanone
12-01-2008, 12:24 PM
I'd consider buying Bills merchandise if they can land Cowher.

billsfanone
12-01-2008, 12:25 PM
I'd be ok with Marty ball.

DraftBoy
12-01-2008, 02:03 PM
do you honestly think we would have lost the Cleveland and SF games if Cowher was coach? We're 9 points from being 8-4 and in the thick of the division hunt. It doesn't take a miracle to fix that- just competence.

With the way Trent was executing the plays that were called? Yes, I do.

The issue is just the coach we need better talent and that starts at the top with a new GM.

RockStar36
12-01-2008, 02:05 PM

In 15 seasons Cowher finished below .500 3 times and at .500 1 time. Those are 11 times were winning seasons.

He won 9 division titles in those 15 years and finished 59 games over .500 for his career.

Yes, he is that good.

OpIv37
12-01-2008, 02:06 PM
With the way Trent was executing the plays that were called? Yes, I do.

The issue is just the coach we need better talent and that starts at the top with a new GM.

Not gonna happen.

In the last 3 years, Ralph had 2 clear opportunities to clean house- when TD got the boot and when Marv Levy retired. Both times, he chose to promote from within and keep the same bunch of losers who have kept us mired in mediocrity for a decade.

Historian
12-01-2008, 02:29 PM
Ralph will not pony up for Cowher, plain and simple.

He will command a 3-5 mill salary, and Ralph is barely willing to pay 950K

gr8slayer
12-01-2008, 02:30 PM
I'd expect someone random like the offensive coordinator from the local high school. He won't command much money and will allow Ralph to push him around.

RockStar36
12-01-2008, 02:40 PM
Ralph will not pony up for Cowher, plain and simple.

He will command a 3-5 mill salary, and Ralph is barely willing to pay 950K

Cowher is looking at 8-9 mil a year from Cleveland.

Mr. Pink
12-01-2008, 02:46 PM
Cowher is looking at 8-9 mil a year from Cleveland.

And well worth every penny :up:

gr8slayer
12-01-2008, 02:49 PM
And well worth every penny :up:
Hell yeah he is.

RockStar36
12-01-2008, 02:50 PM
No doubt he is worth that much. Ralph has the money. Hell, raise ticket prices to compensate. I'll pay the price.

gr8slayer
12-01-2008, 02:51 PM
No doubt he is worth that much. Ralph has the money. Hell, raise ticket prices to compensate. I'll pay the price.
Yeah, if Wilson made a move like that a lot of people would pay whatever it took.

Mr. Pink
12-01-2008, 02:54 PM
But our area is economically poor. Ralphie said so.

He did everything he could to damn the entire city while saying the CBA was bad because "he didn't understand it"

DraftBoy
12-01-2008, 02:56 PM
In 15 seasons Cowher finished below .500 3 times and at .500 1 time. Those are 11 times were winning seasons.

He won 9 division titles in those 15 years and finished 59 games over .500 for his career.

Yes, he is that good.

When division titles mean something call me. You're a Braves fan like me, we won 15 straight division titles, how many times did we get the big one? Once...how many times for Cowher? Once. Its not like his **** don't stink. He has big game issues where sometimes he has mental farts. Im not saying he's not a hell of a coach because he is, but he's not Landry reincarnated.

gr8slayer
12-01-2008, 02:56 PM
But our area is economically poor. Ralphie said so.

He did everything he could to damn the entire city while saying the CBA was bad because "he didn't understand it"
Yeah, Cleveland is hurting and it shows! They've been more active than anyone over the past few years in FA.

Mr. Pink
12-01-2008, 02:57 PM
Yeah, Cleveland is hurting and it shows! They've been more active than anyone over the past few years in FA.

The sad part is economically Cleveland isn't probably all that much better than here...if at all.

Yet Randy Lerner doesn't sit and ***** about small market economics and say the Browns can't survive. And doesn't pinch pennies when it comes to the talent.

justasportsfan
12-01-2008, 02:58 PM
What coach would love to face BB twice a year and stick it to him?

Lexwhat
12-01-2008, 02:59 PM
What coach would love to face BB twice a year and stick it to him?

??

justasportsfan
12-01-2008, 03:02 PM
??
if we're to bring in a coach we need someone who can at least hang vs. BB.

We're getting our arse handed to us with Cassel. Brady should return next year and we're screwed again.

gr8slayer
12-01-2008, 03:02 PM

We're getting our arse handed to us with Cassel. Brady should return next year and we're screwed again.
How many coaches out there can hang with Belichick?

Mr. Pink
12-01-2008, 03:04 PM

Cowher owned Belichick when Billy was in the AFC Central.

Lexwhat
12-01-2008, 03:05 PM

Oh, I thought you had someone specific in mind...

gr8slayer
12-01-2008, 03:06 PM
Cowher owned Belichick when Billy was in the AFC Central.
:rofl: AFC Central.

Mr. Pink
12-01-2008, 03:09 PM
:rofl: AFC Central.

Don't make me bust out the four C's back when the Browns and Giants and Cowboys had HUGE rivalries.

Capitol Century Coastal Central.

Cleveland owned the Century and Dallas owned the Capitol. :rofl:

justasportsfan
12-01-2008, 03:10 PM
lol. Sparano???

justasportsfan
12-01-2008, 03:10 PM
Oh, I thought you had someone specific in mind...
I wanted Coughlin but unfortunately, Donohoe wanted a yes sir coach. I also wanted Charlie Weiss but seeing how bad the Irish are, not sure about that anymore . He's sicker than Ralphy too.

lordofgun
12-01-2008, 03:35 PM
Yes but he doesnt post here, so I get the credit instead.
Untrue. He took a month-long break recently, but he's posting again.

gr8slayer
12-01-2008, 03:38 PM
Untrue. He took a month-long break recently, but he's posting again.
Go back into your hole.

Lexwhat
12-01-2008, 04:10 PM
I wanted Coughlin but unfortunately, Donohoe wanted a yes sir coach. I also wanted Charlie Weiss but seeing how bad the Irish are, not sure about that anymore . He's sicker than Ralphy too.

I haven't been too accurate with my potential coaching choices either, but the Bills FO seems to be just as bad. Not very encouraging.

I've liked choices like: Brad Childress, Marvin Lewis, Charlie Weis, Tom Coughlin, Ken Whisenhunt. I thought highly of Mike Tomlin and John Harbaugh the moment they were hired, but also thought highly of Gary Kubiak.

I think Spagunolo will be very successful in this league.