PDA

View Full Version : Sorry, but our emphasis on special teams is the downfall of this team.

HHURRICANE
12-01-2008, 01:23 PM
I got ripped last year for saying that Boby April should go because he has too much influence on the roster but look what kind of roster it leaves us with.

Rather than have a classic tall catching TE, we have these two hybrid guys in Schouman and Fine. All our LBs are undersized. Do you realize that Urlacher is 6-4, 254? That's bigger than our DEs. Our DEs play special teams as well. How funny is that?

We signed Roscoe Parrish long term but he can't get open in our offense because he's too small. He missed getting a first down yesterday because of his size. Did you see it?

What have our "great" special teams got us? A losing record.

Typ0
12-01-2008, 01:24 PM
I've made this assertion as well. Having great special teams is fine but it's a luxury not the way of doing things. You don't put your roster together around a unit that is hardly on the field. You make damn sure the offense and defense are set before you focus anything on special teams. Our offense and defense are not set.

HHURRICANE
12-01-2008, 01:31 PM
I've made this assertion as well. Having great special teams is fine but it's a luxury not the way of doing things. You don't put your roster together around a unit that is hardly on the field. You make damn sure the offense and defense are set before you focus anything on special teams. Our offense and defense are not set.

But Wendling jumps really high so that's pretty cool and more important than actually being able to play.

bigbub2352
12-01-2008, 01:35 PM
I wrote thread after thread about this last year, and keeping guys on the team for ST and hurting our depth
perfect examples
George Wilson
Jon Corto
Marcus Buggs
Justin Jenkins
blake costanzo
jason whittle
corey mcyntire
all suck at there positions but made 1 tackle some where on STs then the media say he is good on special teams and then everyone excepts them as backups
sam aiken, haggan and stamer all were my examples before this

OpIv37
12-01-2008, 01:43 PM
I wouldn't go so far as to say it's the downfall of this team, but it definitely hurts, especially when it comes to depth. We have ZERO depth at WR or LB and limited depth at S because we keep guys for S/T ability over guys who can actually play.

HHURRICANE
12-01-2008, 01:45 PM
I wouldn't go so far as to say it's the downfall of this team, but it definitely hurts, especially when it comes to depth. We have ZERO depth at WR or LB and limited depth at S because we keep guys for S/T ability over guys who can actually play.

Downfall. I'm sticking with it. What is John Wendling doing here? 6-1 and he's too small for LB and too slow for the Safety position.

OpIv37
12-01-2008, 01:53 PM
Downfall. I'm sticking with it. What is John Wendling doing here? 6-1 and he's too small for LB and too slow for the Safety position.

But you did see him jump over the center on SF's field goal right? I mean, it didn't accomplish anything but it does look REALLY cool!

HHURRICANE
12-01-2008, 01:58 PM
But you did see him jump over the center on SF's field goal right? I mean, it didn't accomplish anything but it does look REALLY cool!

This sums up everything wrong with this team.

They have worked on this play since April and they have not one blocked anything to show for it. John Wendling shouldn't even be on this roster. He sucks.

Langston Walker and Jason Peters have had success blocking kicks. Why don't you just focus on having those two guys out there and give the roster spot to someone who actually can contribute?

Dr. Lecter
12-01-2008, 02:53 PM
Remember all of the guys from the last few years people said would not make any other roster like Wire, Haggan, Stamer, Leonard, etc?

They are still in the NFL. There are too many teams, too much FA and too muchmovement to have the depth that used to exist.

Dr. Lecter
12-01-2008, 02:54 PM
I wrote thread after thread about this last year, and keeping guys on the team for ST and hurting our depth
perfect examples
George Wilson
Jon Corto
Marcus Buggs
Justin Jenkins
blake costanzo
jason whittle
corey mcyntire
all suck at there positions but made 1 tackle some where on STs then the media say he is good on special teams and then everyone excepts them as backups
sam aiken, haggan and stamer all were my examples before this

Stamer is with the Titans. Aiken in New England.

I would say they are legit NFL players.

DraftBoy
12-01-2008, 02:58 PM
Stamer is with the Titans. Aiken in New England.

I would say they are legit NFL players.

Leonard had an INT return for a TD with Baltimore yesterday, Bannan is a regular with BAL. Wire is a ST regular with Atlanta.

Lexwhat
12-01-2008, 03:02 PM
Leonard had an INT return for a TD with Baltimore yesterday, Bannan is a regular with BAL. Wire is a ST regular with Atlanta.

Don't look at me, I wanted to keep Bannan.

yordad
12-01-2008, 03:04 PM
OK Special Team slammers, please give me the names of people we cut, or should look at that would be better at the regular position, but a drop off on ST?

List them.......

Michael82
12-01-2008, 04:30 PM
McKelvin wouldn't have been drafted by us if it wasn't for his excellent special teams play.