PDA

View Full Version : I'm so sick of hearing that it takes 2-3 years for a new regime to build a contender

Forward_Lateral
12-01-2008, 02:06 PM
That's total BS. Look at Miami. Look at Atlanta. Don't tell me either one of those teams had more talent last year than the Bills, either.

Jan Reimers
12-01-2008, 02:08 PM
It only takes that long with a moron like Jauron (and Williams and Mularkey before him) at the helm.

Forward_Lateral
12-01-2008, 02:11 PM
It's nothing but ***** excuses from this organization for the past 10 years plus. I'm sick and tired of hearing "it will take time" and "next year will be our year".

justasportsfan
12-01-2008, 02:12 PM
3 years is average and Dick hasn't gotten it done therefore he's below average. Don't tell typo that though.

Jan Reimers
12-01-2008, 02:13 PM
It's nothing but ***** excuses from this organization for the past 10 years plus. I'm sick and tired of hearing "it will take time" and "next year will be our year".
But that's all we have, and all that keeps us going. The indefinite future will be rosy. The actual now sucks.

Forward_Lateral
3 years is avg in what universe? It's avg for coachs and GMs that don't have a friggen clue.

gr8slayer
That's what a good front office, great draft class, and good job in FA can do for a team. One thing both of those teams have that Buffalo doesn't have...... wait for it....... wait for it....... a QUARTERBACK, you know, the most important position in all of sports? Yeah, that one.

Forward_Lateral
12-01-2008, 02:15 PM
That's what a good front office, great draft class, and good job in FA can do for a team. One thing both of those teams have that Buffalo doesn't have...... wait for it....... wait for it....... a QUARTERBACK, you know, the most important position in all of sports? Yeah, that one.

Thanks, that was really insightful, and helpful.

RockStar36
12-01-2008, 02:15 PM
Miami decided to quit playing games and hire a real football person to run the front office and less than one year later they have gone from one win laughing stock to most likely winning the division.

gr8slayer
12-01-2008, 02:16 PM
Thanks, that was really insightful, and helpful.
Well winning in the NFL isn't the rocket science that so many fans in Buffalo make it out to be. There's a pretty simple formula that every single team that wins on a consistent basis follows. The Bills have chosen to be the renegades and try it their own way, clearly it has failed.

Forward_Lateral
12-01-2008, 02:18 PM
Well winning in the NFL isn't the rocket science that so many fans in Buffalo make it out to be. There's a pretty simple formula that every single team that wins on a consistent basis follows. The Bills have chosen to be the renegades and try it their own way, clearly it has failed.

Again, thank you Captain Obvious.

billogic99
12-01-2008, 02:20 PM
That's total BS. Look at Miami. Look at Atlanta. Don't tell me either one of those teams had more talent last year than the Bills, either.

I don't think it's BS, I think it depends on what the team is trying to do and where the team was when they started rebuilding. I think it can take longer than 3 years in some cases. For example, if you're in a competitive division it could take longer, if you have no DP's due to poor management bya previous FO,your slalry cap situation, If you need a franchise QB, there are many reasons it could take three or more years to rebuild a team.

Jan Reimers
12-01-2008, 02:22 PM
Miami decided to quit playing games and hire a real football person to run the front office and less than one year later they have gone from one win laughing stock to most likely winning the division.
Good point. Just don't expect Ralph to do the same. Real football guys like Parcells cost real money. Russ Brandon does not.

gr8slayer
12-01-2008, 02:23 PM
I don't think it's BS, I think it depends on what the team is trying to do and where the team was when they started rebuilding. I think it can take longer than 3 years in some cases. For example, if you're in a competitive division it could take longer, if you have no DP's due to poor management bya previous FO,your slalry cap situation, If you need a franchise QB, there are many reasons it could take three or more years to rebuild a team.
The Falcons are in the best division in football right now and are doing a fine job :up:

gr8slayer
12-01-2008, 02:23 PM
Good point. Just don't expect Ralph to do the same. Real football guys like Parcells cost real money. Russ Brandon does not.
Wow, you're vicious today.

OpIv37
12-01-2008, 02:25 PM

those are just two of many examples. Baltimore was 5-11 last year, switched coaches and is leading the wild-card hunt with a rookie QB. Carolina was 7-9 last year (like us), but they're 9-3 this year. The Jets already doubled their win total from last year and they still have 4 games left (all of which are winnable for them IMO).

And if you go to previous years, there are even more examples.

If you look at the teams that have turned it around and had good seasons in during the Bills' 10 year playoff drought, it's absolutely embarrassing that we haven't been able to get it right yet.

Historian
12-01-2008, 02:26 PM
It only takes that long with a moron like Jauron (and Williams and Mularkey before him) at the helm.

It takes that long with an idiot cheapskate as an owner.

gr8slayer
those are just two of many examples. Baltimore was 5-11 last year, switched coaches and is leading the wild-card hunt with a rookie QB. Carolina was 7-9 last year (like us), but they're 9-3 this year. The Jets already doubled their win total from last year and they still have 4 games left (all of which are winnable for them IMO).

And if you go to previous years, there are even more examples.

If you look at the teams that have turned it around and had good seasons in during the Bills' 10 year playoff drought, it's absolutely embarrassing that we haven't been able to get it right yet.
Baltimore - Franchise QB
Carolina - Healthy franchise QB
Jets - Franchise QB

Too easy.

gr8slayer
Wow, so first Jan, now Historian? WTF Ralph?

Jan Reimers
12-01-2008, 02:32 PM
Wow, so first Jan, now Historian? WTF Ralph?
I think we've finally reached our limit.

gr8slayer
12-01-2008, 02:34 PM
I think we've finally reached our limit.I think it says a lot about how poor the team is when the older crowd starts giving up on you. Wilson needs to get his **** straight and quick or he won't have any fans left.

tat2dmike77
12-01-2008, 02:36 PM

Or your owner just goes and buys every single player he can

Tatonka
12-01-2008, 02:36 PM

so true. with a rookie qb and a new rb no less.

gr8slayer
12-01-2008, 02:39 PM
Or your owner just goes and buys every single player he can
There's a thing called a "salary cap" that doesn't allow things like that. The difference between Ralph and Jerry is that Jerry spends every possible penny in the salary cap while Ralph would rather just sit on it. That's why one has a handful of rings and the other is one of the worst owners in sports history. :up:

RockStar36
Hopefully this anger carries over to ticket sales next year, assuming a miracle doesn't take place and a good coach/GM gets hired. Most people let their anger subside during the off-season and then next thing you know ticket sales are at their highest since the Super Bowl years.

tat2dmike77

He gave up on all the fans long ago. He realized he can make some more cash by bringing back the classic logo. That shut most of us up for a year or two. Next year he will try it again with the helmet from the 70's. I wish he would either fix this crap or move the team because i am sick that hanging over my head. I am also sick of people saying "well atleast we still have a team" Oh freaking boy we a team that consistanly sucks and screws things up 26 years of crap is enough.

gr8slayer
12-01-2008, 02:40 PM
so true. with a rookie qb and a new rb no less.
That rookie QB is a special player though, and the RB has been a star in the making since he came into the league. That's one of those cases where sometimes it's a blessing to be a bad team because you get a shot at a franchise player like Ryan.

tat2dmike77
There's a thing called a "salary cap" that doesn't allow things like that. The difference between Ralph and Jerry is that Jerry spends every possible penny in the salary cap while Ralph would rather just sit on it. That's why one has a handful of rings and the other is one of the worst owners in sports history. :up:

Boy you really are taking that captain obvious title serious today

gr8slayer
He gave up on all the fans long ago. He realized he can make some more cash by bringing back the classic logo. That shut most of us up for a year or two. Next year he will try it again with the helmet from the 70's. I wish he would either fix this crap or move the team because i am sick that hanging over my head. I am also sick of people saying "well atleast we still have a team" Oh freaking boy we a team that consistanly sucks and screws things up 26 years of crap is enough.
Quit stealing my lines hillbilly :mad:

Mad Bomber
12-01-2008, 02:41 PM
I think we've finally reached our limit.

I"M MAD AS HELL AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!!!!!
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/6485/network1_medium.jpg

gr8slayer
12-01-2008, 02:41 PM
Boy you really are taking that captain obvious title serious today
You clearly didn't get the concept or you wouldn't have made the stupid comment to begin with :up:

trapezeus
12-01-2008, 02:44 PM

Dallas has wade who finds ways to lose in the playoffs and romo who is also a choker until he proves otherwise. Seems like money and talent evaluation has really gotten the cowboys really far since 1996 as well.

And jones will fire wade the second they lose and promote this OC Garrett because he's "suppose" to be good, but has been one of the major problems to the cowboy's volatile nature this year. The defense (wade's specialty) has been pretty consistent.

Jones is really light years ahead of wilson (end sarcasm)

tat2dmike77
12-01-2008, 02:46 PM
You clearly didn't get the concept or you wouldn't have made the stupid comment to begin with :up:

Quit stealing my lines hillbilly :mad:

Are you in love with me? Thats funny a person from texas calling someone a hillbilly nice.

gr8slayer
12-01-2008, 02:48 PM
Are you in love with me? Thats funny a person from texas calling someone a hillbilly nice.
You must lead a very sad/boring life. You're a very angry person.

gr8slayer
12-01-2008, 02:49 PM
Dallas has wade who finds ways to lose in the playoffs and romo who is also a choker until he proves otherwise. Seems like money and talent evaluation has really gotten the cowboys really far since 1996 as well.

And jones will fire wade the second they lose and promote this OC Garrett because he's "suppose" to be good, but has been one of the major problems to the cowboy's volatile nature this year. The defense (wade's specialty) has been pretty consistent.

Jones is really light years ahead of wilson (end sarcasm)
:snicker:

tat2dmike77
12-01-2008, 02:53 PM
You must lead a very sad/boring life. You're a very angry person.

Says the guy who has called me a hillbilly and a dumb redneck in the past 2 days but yeah i'm the angry one.

gr8slayer
12-01-2008, 02:54 PM
Says the guy who has called me a hillbilly and a dumb redneck in the past 2 days but yeah i'm the angry one.
Get a sense of humor, you'll be a lot happier with life :up:

You should see the things I call Lecter and RS.

tat2dmike77
12-01-2008, 03:02 PM
Get a sense of humor, you'll be a lot happier with life :up:

You should see the things I call Lecter and RS.

As much as i hate to say this. You have no idea who i am, you know nothing about me, and you think cause you read a few post about me that you what kind of person i am. You don't know crap about me. You wanna call me names so be it but keep in mind i am not your buddie or pal or even internet friend. I could care less about you. So use that excuse all you want i am not Lecter or RS.

DraftBoy
12-01-2008, 03:03 PM

Agree but we could do what Atlanta did and take a guy from a highly successful team who has worked under the best and learned from them. They would come cheap and jump at a GM opportunity. Its not always about paying top dollar as much as it is in finding the best fit. I like the Gregg Williams hire when it happened because it was the direction I would of gone in, it doesnt always turn out but look at how Miami and Atlanta have done it. New GM's and New HC's, but they learned under the best.

DraftBoy
12-01-2008, 03:03 PM
As much as i hate to say this. You have no idea who i am, you know nothing about me, and you think cause you read a few post about me that you what kind of person i am. You don't know crap about me. You wanna call me names so be it but keep in mind i am not your buddie or pal or even internet friend. I could care less about you. So use that excuse all you want i am not Lecter or RS.

Am I your internet friend?

gr8slayer
12-01-2008, 03:04 PM
You're so tough.

tat2dmike77
Am I your internet friend?

Nobody is

tat2dmike77
You're so tough.

yeah i was trying to be tough.

DraftBoy
12-01-2008, 03:07 PM
Nobody is

:sadwalk:

justasportsfan
12-01-2008, 03:09 PM
you should be used to it by now. No one likes you here next to me. :bravo:

gr8slayer
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/gr8slayer/melkiperapproval.jpg You're my internet friend :up:

tat2dmike77

But in my defense i hate everyone equally.

OpIv37
12-01-2008, 03:11 PM
Baltimore - Franchise QB
Carolina - Healthy franchise QB
Jets - Franchise QB

Too easy.

Baltimore found a healthy franchise QB after one bad season. We've been searching for one for 12 years- what gives?

DraftBoy

Too true, but thats because Im an *******.

DraftBoy
Baltimore found a healthy franchise QB after one bad season. We've been searching for one for 12 years- what gives?

Talent Evaluators!!

DraftBoy
12-01-2008, 03:12 PM
But in my defense i hate everyone equally.
Oh well in that case then we are cool! :up:

gr8slayer
12-01-2008, 03:14 PM
It's not because you're an *******, the hate started when you got the label "master of the reach around."

justasportsfan
12-01-2008, 03:15 PM

:snicker:

Mr. Pink
12-01-2008, 03:19 PM
2-3 years to rebuild?

Hell, that would be a nice change of pace.

We're on YEAR NINE of rebuilding right now.

DynaPaul
12-01-2008, 04:52 PM
Again, thank you Captain Obvious.

He's not Captain Obvious to Dick Jauron. Dickey should hire him as a consultant!

!Papacrunk!
12-01-2008, 05:48 PM
who knows how long Parcells will be around, but he's sure laying a good foundation. Parcells has to be credited w/ a lot w/ the Miami turnaround, but I think Ireland has done great getting the right people here and making the tough decisions--letting go of Thomas and trading away Taylor for picks. Also, I think the offseason program has been huge--good luck plays into being injury free, but after having so many injuries last year, they really made a point to sell the offseason conditioning program, and everyone bought into it.

W/ all credit due to Parcells, one can't really look past the job Sparano has done. I'm not sure of the exact placement, but I believe Miami is one of the least penalized teams in the league. Sparano has been demanding players be smart and disciplined and it been more than a catchy slogan.

I'd rather Miami win the rest of the games, but even if it ended now, it's already been a success IMO. I can't wait what another offseason will bring when it comes to the draft, free agency, and the off-season program.

Luck can sometimes plays a big part to things, and I think you guys have just run into a big pile of bad luck recently.

Forward_Lateral
12-01-2008, 07:35 PM
A big steaming pile of bad luck. Try 10 years of it. Ever since that God Damn Music City Forward Pass.

Anyways, let's get back to the topic at hand, rebuilding. If teams can turn things around in one offseason, why the F can't Buffalo? And please, don't point out things about football that even ******s know, like you need a QB, etc. We all get that. We don't need our noses rubbed in the fact that this franchise is as good at evaluating talent as Paula Abdul. Hell, she might be better.

What I don't understand is how Ralph can't realize that he's not helping matters with his meddling. He's making things worse. Just hire a REAL GM already, and let him hire a REAL coaching staff. No more Moobs, no more god damn cheese burgers, and no more Yale graduates who think they can win a football game by outsmarting the opponent. Get a real, no nonsense type of coach who won't punt on 4th and 1 from the opponent's 35.

The Jokeman
12-01-2008, 07:59 PM
I can't speak for Atlanta but say what you want but Bill Parcells knows how to turn teams around he did it with the Patriots and Jets prior to Miami.

Talent Evaluators!!
Looks like we let the wrong guy go in Marc Ross. He's been pretty good with the Giants the last two years :(

Mr. Pink
12-02-2008, 01:30 AM
A big steaming pile of bad luck. Try 10 years of it. Ever since that God Damn Music City Forward Pass.

Anyways, let's get back to the topic at hand, rebuilding. If teams can turn things around in one offseason, why the F can't Buffalo? And please, don't point out things about football that even ******s know, like you need a QB, etc. We all get that. We don't need our noses rubbed in the fact that this franchise is as good at evaluating talent as Paula Abdul. Hell, she might be better.

What I don't understand is how Ralph can't realize that he's not helping matters with his meddling. He's making things worse. Just hire a REAL GM already, and let him hire a REAL coaching staff. No more Moobs, no more god damn cheese burgers, and no more Yale graduates who think they can win a football game by outsmarting the opponent. Get a real, no nonsense type of coach who won't punt on 4th and 1 from the opponent's 35.

Hire me as HC. I vow to never punt on 4th and 1 or 2...from anywhere on the field. We can have 4th and 1 from our own 10, we're going for it. 4th and anything when we're down two scores or more anywhere near midfield also = no punt.

Now, instead of instilling an offense where I'm trying to get 10 yards, I'm instilling an offense designed to get those 10 yards in 4 plays.

We're also almost never kicking field goals. A field goal will never be kicked when we're in the redzone. Ever. Outside of OT and game winning kicks under 1:00 left in the game.

XPs? We're also never kicking those. Ever. Except if that one point gets us tied or in the lead near the end of regulation. The tie part is even negotiable.

You will see no more 3rd and long draws. Hell, if my players are executing properly you'll never see another 3rd and long situation.

This is where DB comes in...he is bringing me the talent to implement this offense. A bruising halfback, a QB who will dink and dunk and lull you to sleep all day long then boom play action bomb for a TD.

Think I can get the job? Think I as a coach with that system would sell tickets and have people talking about the Bills? Send a petition to Ralphie to hire me.

:rofl: