PDA

View Full Version : Why can't Ralph pay a boatload of money for a good coach that get's along with him?

blackonyx89
12-01-2008, 02:33 PM
Instead of overpaying crappy to mediocre players? I bet Singletary would put a fire under them. Wishful thinking.

gr8slayer
12-01-2008, 02:35 PM
I don't know if you can call Singletery a "good coach" yet. He's got a long way to go...

Jan Reimers
12-01-2008, 03:20 PM
Ralph's saving his money for a rainy day - in Hell.

justasportsfan
12-01-2008, 03:22 PM
No one gets along with the meddling owner except for yes sir coaches.

Philagape
12-01-2008, 03:35 PM
"Why can't Ralph pay a boatload of money"

That's a question that answers itself.

OpIv37
12-01-2008, 03:35 PM
Instead of overpaying crappy to mediocre players? I bet Singletary would put a fire inder them. Wishful thinking.

you answered your own question- "boatload of money." Ralph apparently thinks he gets to take it with him when he croaks.

As far as Singletary, I like his passion but he still has a lot to prove. Beating the Bills doesn't impress me.

don137
12-01-2008, 05:03 PM
No one gets along with the meddling owner except for yes sir coaches.

Agree 100% and yes sir coaches are journeyman coaches at best...you get what you pay for...

!Papacrunk!
12-01-2008, 06:11 PM
maybe it's an anomaly but some of the current 1st year coaches weren't "name" coaches but they've been having some pretty good success

gr8slayer
12-01-2008, 06:13 PM
maybe it's an anomaly but some of the current 1st year coaches weren't "name" coaches but they've been having some pretty good success
Like who?

Mad Bomber
12-01-2008, 06:20 PM
"Why can't Ralph pay a boatload of money for a good coach that get's along with him? <!-- Start Post Thank You Hack -->"

Because he is a cheap ass bastard who doesn't give a crap whether his team wins or not, and couldn't care less whether the fans in the Buffalo area get a halfway decent product or not.

topher180
12-01-2008, 06:49 PM
Like who?

Mike Smith and Tony Sparano come to mind. No one predicted the year either the Falcons or Dolphins are having.

EricStratton
12-01-2008, 06:59 PM
How about such high paid guys from the past few years like Mike Nolan, The last 2 Atlanta coaches, Parcells in Dallas, Norv Turner, Marvin Lewis, The NO coach .......

Writing a big check doesn't always puts wins on the board.

gr8slayer
12-01-2008, 10:38 PM
Mike Smith and Tony Sparano come to mind. No one predicted the year either the Falcons or Dolphins are having.
Both were excellent coaches with their previous teams, both were also about as well known as one can get without being an HC. They didn't just come out of nowhere.

gr8slayer
12-01-2008, 10:40 PM
How about such high paid guys from the past few years like Mike Nolan, The last 2 Atlanta coaches, Parcells in Dallas, Norv Turner, Marvin Lewis, The NO coach .......

Of all the coaches you just named Parcells is probably the only one who would be considered "high paid."

tat2dmike77
12-01-2008, 10:55 PM
Of all the coaches you just named Parcells is probably the only one who would be considered "high paid."

And the only one to have sucess

gr8slayer
12-01-2008, 11:00 PM
And the only one to have sucess
True, he basically built what Dallas is right now, and did it fairly quickly if you really think about it.

LtFinFan66
12-02-2008, 03:29 AM
Both were excellent coaches with their previous teams, both were also about as well known as one can get without being an HC. They didn't just come out of nowhere.Really?? Maybe if you are a Cowboy fan....had never heard of Sparano

gr8slayer
12-02-2008, 10:10 AM
Really?? Maybe if you are a Cowboy fan....had never heard of Sparano
Well, some football fans are morons and don't pay attention to assistant coaches. There are a lot of assistants even now who are going to make great HC's very soon.

EricStratton
12-02-2008, 10:32 AM
For every solid assistant or college coach who makes the jump and it works out there are dozens who try and fail.

Picking a coach is as much a crap-shoot as drafting players. All you have to go on is projections and past work in some capacity other then a head coach for your particular organization.

Even for the guys who are currently working out may tank in a year if they don't adapt to that the league does to them.

OpIv37
12-02-2008, 10:38 AM

I don't remember how much Wade got paid in Buffalo so I'll leave him out, but the last 3 coaches have been 2 rookie HC's and an HC retread who was unsuccessful in his first stint. It's bargain basement.

You are correct in that writing a big check doesn't guarantee success. However, we're 0-3 (maybe 0-4 if you throw Wade in) with the bargain route. It's not working. Something has to change.

Either tear up the FO and get new people in there to make decisions (don't just knock the guy off the top and have everyone else take one step up, like they did when TD was canned and again when Marv left), or fork over the bucks for someone proven. Letting these idiots in the FO try to find the bargain coach just doesn't get the job done.

Jan Reimers
12-02-2008, 10:42 AM
Ralph's philosophy is: Why throw away perfectly good money on a competent coach, or big time players, when you can line your coffin with it.